U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:58 PM

508 posts, read 871,188 times

Advertisements

I dont suppose there are any places to meet other people with (well mannered and sociable) dogs here in las vegas / Henderson?

(preferably female) i have a 3 month old puppy who has 2 sets of shots so i dont want to let her socialize with just any pup but healthy and other non aggressive dogs. She's been very well socialized up until this point and dont want her to loose that.

I was reading about some of the dog parks and some people take their aggressive dogs there so i am a little worried about letting her go.

Anyway, any advise would be great. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,760,290 times
Stay away from Desert Breeze on Spring Mountain Rd. That's where all of the dog fighters go.

What kind of a dog do you have?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM

I have a Tornjak. (see Wikipedia explanation Tornjak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) I just had to go a very very long way to get her because her breed is not common and don't want anything bad to happen to her. at the same time i want her to be able to socialize with other "safe" puppies. She does good in obedience school with the other dogs but thats only for 1 hour 1 time per week :-(

Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Tornjak needs early socialization. Early experiences, before 9 months of age, have a very significant effect throughout the dog's life. They need to be confronted with all potentially fearful stimuli as early as possible, in order to avoid later fear reactions. Traffic noise, big trucks and buses will provoke fear reactions in adulthood, if the Tornjak has not previously faced these situations several times as a puppy. In this early age all Tornjak puppies have to meet as many strange people as possible, and also other animals, dogs, and pets especially, for developing a good and stable behaviour as an adult. No special training or equipment is needed.
this is why i was looking for more socialization as possible.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:00 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,737,840 times
I brought my puppy at around 3 months to sunset park in the small dog section. She was quite shy at first but quickly got the hang of it and has progressed significantly since then. She had most of her shots at the time but the reality is that dogs can catch diseases even with all their shots. It's just less likely.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 AM

I will have to check where that one is... sounds like a nice place :-)

Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,737,840 times
It's pretty big. You can enter into it from either Sunset or Eastern Ave. The dog park part is located on the side of Eastern about a mile from the fences of the airport runways.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,695,230 times
Never had a problem with aggressive dogs at Children's Memorial Park at Gowan & Rainbow. Not in your neck of the woods, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Never had a problem with aggressive dogs at Children's Memorial Park at Gowan & Rainbow. Not in your neck of the woods, but thought I'd throw it out there.
well nothing in the valley is very far i am more worried about having safe puppies for my pup to play with. her well being is way more important then a drive. Her breed was almost exstint for a while and due to the Tornjak registry in croatia its comming back.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 PM

shameless bump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or