U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM

136 posts, read 231,597 times

Advertisements

Still working on our move and options. Hubby and I are evaluating the relocation package. We are in a predicament with our current home, can't sell it, will rent it out, however, the fear of what if we can't rent it or keep a renter in there is making me crazy, so now we are considering having the kids and I stay where we are at and hubby getting an apt in Vegas for the next nine months. This will allow us to refinance our home and save $400 per month, get some other things in order, allow the kids to finish out the school year (we weren't moving until Dec. 1), and the big thing...hubby will have a GOOD job! Does this sound crazy?

I've been looking online for a 1BR apt/condo for rent. Seems like we can find something in the neighborhood of $600 in Silverado Ranch area (close to hubby's work). I'm sure there are other areas too. I'm trying to get some good numbers to work with as to what maintaining this residence will cost us. What would be a good estimate on utilities? Gas/electric/cable/internet?

Thanks again! You all have been most helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,734,278 times
I pay just below $600 a month for a nice apartment with quiet neighbors. I canceled my cable and pay 32.99 For internet. There is a cheaper speed at 22.99 but it's kinda slow. Whole apartment uses only electric and no gas. I haven't seen the bill yet but I would estimate it around $100 as the AC only needs to go on for a minute or two to cool the apartment down versus the house I was living in before. Fortunately by the time your husband gets here he will likely be paying even less as it will be cooling down. I actually see rain drops as I'm writing this.
So, all together plus $10 a month for netflix I'm sitting at around $756 a month on apartment expenses. I hope that helps in some way. Just don't forget to figure in the other expenses that will be incurred.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM

136 posts, read 231,597 times
Thank for the info! That does help. I just have no idea about utilities for a small apt. and we need to figure out if this is an option for us.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:17 PM

508 posts, read 870,433 times
i have a 2100 sq foot house and pay 180-250 in electric about 12 dollars in gas and 9 dollars in water per month.

cable and internet (and phone if you want it) come together for 120 but then again i have the ultra high speed i can watch full blown movies on the internet (i watch a lot of foreign films and TV shows that are not available on cable or rental centers) and game like mad so i need top of the line internet.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 PM

12,672 posts, read 9,420,097 times
One thing I ran into when I relocated here that might affect you.

Since I moved from out of state, I had no history with the Nevada utilities. So, I had to either (1) get letters from my prior utilities telling them I paid on time, or (2) give each of them a hefty deposit.

Check ahead of time to see what you need to do.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:19 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,734,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
One thing I ran into when I relocated here that might affect you.

Since I moved from out of state, I had no history with the Nevada utilities. So, I had to either (1) get letters from my prior utilities telling them I paid on time, or (2) give each of them a hefty deposit.

Check ahead of time to see what you need to do.

Almost seems random because I had no history either and I turned my utilities on through the automated phone line they have. They have not asked for any deposit.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM

848 posts, read 1,465,525 times
^^^Having an excellent credit can do wonders. If someone has a spotty credit then the likelihood of a bigger downpayment is higher but then again these are the utility companies and $$$$ is the name of the business regardless of credit history.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:43 PM

399 posts, read 870,600 times
Default Example monthly costs of all Las Vegas utilities?

For a single person or couple living in a small single story 2 bedroom home around 1000 sq feet built around the year 2000 with no pool and with desert landscaping, what dollar range should they expect to pay monthly for all utilities summer and winter?
Electricity, gas, water, garbage collection and sewer fees. Of course, they might also pay for telephone, monthly pest control, security alarm monitoring, cable TV and internet, but those are optional and would vary on the plan chosen.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,751,872 times
I paid no deposits because of excellent credit. I'm one person in 1700 square foot ranch. With a.c. running constantly in 100 degree weather, my electric is $140 per month. Without it, down to $40 per month. Gas, only cooking, no heat yet, $20 per month. Cable, everything but phone, $89. Sewer $25 a quarter, water about $20 a month, frequent landscape watering. Car insurance will probably be much higher. I don't know if your husband would be considered a resident but it could double.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,331,039 times
From my friend who has a 4br one story in Spring Valley:
"We pay (remember it is a fairly large house) - about $17-19 a month for water, $180-300 per month for electric (depending on month) - we have all electric house (no gas). Also trash collection is $40 for 3 months; phone/internet/cable combo is $133 with only HBO but some extra channels and 2 boxes; sewer is like $200 once a year"

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas