U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM

103 posts, read 503,381 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were just in Las Vegas for the first time. On our way in and out of town to go to the Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire etc. we always took non-highway routes. We noticed that most housing was in sub-divisions behind tall walls and with a gate. First, was our observation correct? If it is, why all the walls and gates? Is it a safety and security issue? Is it a prestige issue? Both? Just curious because we live in a New York City suburb and I think I can count on one hand the number of gated communities around here. We were really taken by the natural beauty out in your neck of the woods; you're very lucky to have places like Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire so close!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorainTarrytown View Post
My husband and I were just in Las Vegas for the first time. On our way in and out of town to go to the Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire etc. we always took non-highway routes. We noticed that most housing was in sub-divisions behind tall walls and with a gate. First, was our observation correct? If it is, why all the walls and gates? Is it a safety and security issue? Is it a prestige issue? Both? Just curious because we live in a New York City suburb and I think I can count on one hand the number of gated communities around here. We were really taken by the natural beauty out in your neck of the woods; you're very lucky to have places like Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire so close!
It is a Southwestern culture thing inherited from the Spanish. Find it throughout the SW including CA.

That is the walled part...the gated is a recent phenomena that has mild prestige stuff to it. The really upper class places have manned gates. But electronic for the less well off. It is not nearly as prevalent as the walls.

It has little impact on crime but does stop random driving through the neighborhood.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:47 PM

103 posts, read 503,381 times
Thanks, olecapt! Interesting, and totally foreign to me, so I was just wondering!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is a Southwestern culture thing inherited from the Spanish. Find it throughout the SW including CA.

That is the walled part...the gated is a recent phenomena that has mild prestige stuff to it. The really upper class places have manned gates. But electronic for the less well off. It is not nearly as prevalent as the walls.

It has little impact on crime but does stop random driving through the neighborhood.
If the Spanish hadn't ticked off the Indians they probably wouldn't have needed the walls.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If the Spanish hadn't ticked off the Indians they probably wouldn't have needed the walls.
I believe it was customary in Spain as well. Though they may have made them higher when they got to the new world.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times
I don't know this for sure, but it the walls are probably another Moorish influence. Or it could be that they needed fences to keep the animals in and adobe was available in large quantities. I don't think it is purely aesthetic, although now it is probably more symbolic. In New Mexico, there are still old historic homes remaining that have notches and wall openings for shooting at attackers.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 AM

15,688 posts, read 34,684,028 times
Quote:
I believe it was customary in Spain as well. Though they may have made them higher when they got to the new world.
Personal experience...I spent a year in South America, and been to the Philippines about a dozen times.

Both South America and the Philippines have WALLS around most properties....with one added feature. They cement broken glass on the top of the wall, as well as barbed wire up there - so no one is climbing over!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 AM

347 posts, read 404,573 times
Quote:

The "Walled compound" is becoming more prevalent in the U.S. in general.

In my travels to the Middle-East, South and Central America, The Philippines and Mexico rich and upper class families walling their property is routine. A lot of these family compounds are located in the squalor of the inner cities and I've been told by the occupants that the walls give them privacy and the (perceived?) feeling of security. Feral dogs (and humans?) are a big problem in these areas.

In these countries there are really only two classes that have money - the rich and the hoards of well-connected government workers. I've noticed a subtle increase in this " walled compound" attitude creeping into the U.S. as we slowly sink into third world status. In a sense, we are becoming more like the rest of the world. JMO

Old 09-15-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
The "Walled compound" is becoming more prevalent in the U.S. in general.

In my travels to the Middle-East, South and Central America, The Philippines and Mexico rich and upper class families walling their property is routine. A lot of these family compounds are located in the squalor of the inner cities and I've been told by the occupants that the walls give them privacy and the (perceived?) feeling of security. Feral dogs (and humans?) are a big problem in these areas.

In these countries there are really only two classes that have money - the rich and the hoards of well-connected government workers. I've noticed a subtle increase in this " walled compound" attitude creeping into the U.S. as we slowly sink into third world status. In a sense, we are becoming more like the rest of the world. JMO
Let us not get carried away. The bias against walls in places like upstate NY or the midwest is very strong and not likely to weaken. Often a matter of municipal code.

The third world kind of view is generally associated with certain political views. In general we ought to keep those out of RE discussions. There is a nice section on those views if you wish to play.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:18 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,607,754 times
I always just figured the walls were there because there's not any obvious border between homes without one. Other places there is a natural property boundary, a fence, or obvious landscaping. But in LV the lots just blur together with no distinct landscape features. A wooden fence wouldn't last a year, so a brick wall it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or