Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:13 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,052,872 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry that happened to you. I ride with a lot of cyclists and never met anyone who would do anything like that.

Pedestrians are mad cyclists ride on the sidewalk. Motorists are mad cyclists ride on the street.

Cycling on the sidewalk might might be safer on pure straightaways but I don't think it is safer at intersections or driveways. Motorists are just not watching for anything but walking speed traffic (and we're lucky if they're watching for that) coming from a sidewalk. On the busiest of streets I will cross my bike at the crosswalks. Routinely when the light turns green (and I have the walk signal) right turning motorists who either aren't paying attention or don't see me make their non-yielding right turn in front of me.

Even riding on bike/walking trails, it's common I run into a family taking the full width of the trail arm to arm preventing any passing. I announce "on your left" and usually they freeze and I get a blank stare.

Personally, on a bicycle I feel safest on the road, riding with a bright day visible flasher in front and rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcripe View Post
I was recently ran into deliberately by one of you cyclist on the sidewalk. Now I'm already in a power-chair due to medical reasons. I was knocked into the street with my chair on my legs. The Idiot told me I should gotten out of his way. When I said he was an idiot for riding his bike on the sidewalk. He threaten me with a knife saying he was going to cut me. If it had not been for a very nice gentleman who was walking and also almost ran over by this person. He would have. I despise you cyclist who ride on the side walk. your inconsiderate for the pedestrians and think you have the right to do as you please. twice this has happened. So get in the street where you belong. Sidewalks are pedestrians not bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 06:12 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,549,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcripe View Post
I was recently ran into deliberately by one of you cyclist on the sidewalk. Now I'm already in a power-chair due to medical reasons. I was knocked into the street with my chair on my legs. The Idiot told me I should gotten out of his way. When I said he was an idiot for riding his bike on the sidewalk. He threaten me with a knife saying he was going to cut me. If it had not been for a very nice gentleman who was walking and also almost ran over by this person. He would have. I despise you cyclist who ride on the side walk. your inconsiderate for the pedestrians and think you have the right to do as you please. twice this has happened. So get in the street where you belong. Sidewalks are pedestrians not bikes.
Seems pretty strange. Wouldn't the collision also have caused him to wipe out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas