U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 PM
 
159 posts, read 313,158 times
Reputation: 94

Advertisements

Looking at the crime map (thanks Olecapt), 89103 switches between orange, yellow, and red, depending on the type of crime. I saw an amazing house in this zip code but am not sure of the area because I spent almost all of my time on the east side.

I'm wondering if this area is as problematic as, say, 89121, which falls in the red zone, period. This prompts a few questions. Is all of 89103 an issue? Is all of 89103 known as Spring Valley? Because I have heard (in passing) that Spring Valley is nice. This particular house almost borders 89147 but it still to the east of South Rainbow Blvd. And, dumb question, is there anything to do out there? Looks like total suburbia, according to the google map. Not sure what sort of denizens inhabit this area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,524,913 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post
Looking at the crime map (thanks Olecapt), 89103 switches between orange, yellow, and red, depending on the type of crime. I saw an amazing house in this zip code but am not sure of the area because I spent almost all of my time on the east side.

I'm wondering if this area is as problematic as, say, 89121, which falls in the red zone, period. This prompts a few questions. Is all of 89103 an issue? Is all of 89103 known as Spring Valley? Because I have heard (in passing) that Spring Valley is nice. This particular house almost borders 89147 but it still to the east of South Rainbow Blvd. And, dumb question, is there anything to do out there? Looks like total suburbia, according to the google map. Not sure what sort of denizens inhabit this area.

Thanks!
Local knowledge area. In general larger lot bigger home neighborhoods out that way are fine. Close to Rainbow also helps though there are exceptions. Check the area for renters. If more than 25% or so move on.

That area is pretty clearly Spring Valley. Not true of all of 89103. SV starts at Decatur and Sahara.

There is lots of stuff out that way though it is old suburban. Along Rainbow and Charleston and Trop and Sahara. It aint the strip but it is better than most of the east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 PM
 
159 posts, read 313,158 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Local knowledge area. In general larger lot bigger home neighborhoods out that way are fine. Close to Rainbow also helps though there are exceptions. Check the area for renters. If more than 25% or so move on.

That area is pretty clearly Spring Valley. Not true of all of 89103. SV starts at Decatur and Sahara.

There is lots of stuff out that way though it is old suburban. Along Rainbow and Charleston and Trop and Sahara. It aint the strip but it is better than most of the east side.
Thanks. I know it isn't the strip but it isn't too far from there either, right?

May I ask, how does one find information concerning the owners/renters ratio? And also, why might that be a concern?

Damn. I wish I spent more time over there! I'd seriously offer someone a few bucks to go take photos and look at it for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,874 posts, read 12,943,330 times
Reputation: 28962
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post
Thanks. I know it isn't the strip but it isn't too far from there either, right?

May I ask, how does one find information concerning the owners/renters ratio? And also, why might that be a concern?

Damn. I wish I spent more time over there! I'd seriously offer someone a few bucks to go take photos and look at it for me!
A preponderance of renters is seriously problematic for home values. The typical renter has no stake in keeping up a neighborhood. And the home owners are often very slow to take care of necessary property maintenance, especially if they are speculators or hobbyist real estate investors.

I once lived on a street in an older neighborhood back east that became "trendy." As the elderly homeowners passed on, instead of selling the homesteads, their kids decided there was more income in renting, rather than selling, homes that wouldn't generate much of a sale price because of their age -- and in some cases the disrepair that homes owned by the elderly often fall into.

In the 13 years I lived in the neighborhood, it changed from about 10% to more than 50% rentals. The street became a nightmare. Since there were young roommates sharing, each house had an average of four cars. And since this was an old area, there were ZERO garages and no alley running behind the street either. The noise, especially Thursday through Sunday, was deafening. Yards were miniscule and still no one kept them up. If they were big enough to park a car on, they became a parking pad. Pets ran around unattended -- sometimes just abandoned when the renters moved. Drunk drivers would just hit parked cars and drive off. If someone broke a window, the renters weren't about to fix it.

My last straw: Late one Sat. night I awoke to the sound of someone trying to break into the locked gate the led to my small, totally fenced-in garden/patio (which was lovely, by the way). I called the police and they responded quickly. Turns out a young man was drunk, his girlfriend decided to take his car keys away -- and she did it by grabbing them and lobbing them into my garden. His response was to break into my private space and tear up my landscaping looking for the keys.

When I first moved there, a homeowners' group was trying to have the street given historical status. By the time I sold (to an investor who would rent out my place, too), the group's goal was only to get the city to enforce the laws that prohibited more than four unrelated people from living in a single dwelling. I have no idea if they succeeded since I now live very far away.

How do you know where renters are? That's why you hire a Realtor who is very familiar with the area you're interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,524,913 times
Reputation: 2661
Go to

GISMO

Select the properties nearby one at a time. Select resources and then Assessors site.

Look at the owners address. If the same it is most likely not a rental. If different it most likely is.

Realtors can do it with a single query and get the whole tract.

All residents have a percentage of bad...owners have less bad than renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top