Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,443,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Hey Tony... this i believe is the 2nd thing we agree on!!
That probably means I should buy a lottery ticket this evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,317,212 times
[quote=tony soprano;16007111]I can't see where anyone but you indicated that he might be the slightest bit interested in obtaining an Associates in English, Sociology, Women's Studies, or anything else for that matter. He said "some education is better than none." You're really going to debate that point?

There is very little downside in obtaining an AA/AS at a junior college. With a modicum of planning, virtually all General Ed credits will transfer to a four-year program. His entire first year (longer if he's going part-time) could be spent taking core GE classes that will need to be taken whether he majors in Humanities or Civil Engineering. A JC is a great place to start if you don't know where you're ultimately headed. I don't discourage the vocational path either.

Your criteria for evaluating the utility or value of education appears to be limited purely to return on investment, and that's a reasonable perspective for some people. Not everyone bases their life decisions purely on ROI. In fact, my experience has been that people that pursue what could have been an otherwise rewarding endeavor purely for money are frequently disappointed.[/quote]

About some Education being better than none: I would agree with that, but this person has SOME Education as of right now anyways. The question /debate is whether or not the additional Education he is considering is worth the investment (monetary, time and in whatever other ways).

With the money and time it costs, I do (at least in some ways) see higher education as a commodity. At the very least, it's not something I recommend pursuing unless it can help obtain a tangible benefit (employment, salary, promotion, etc.) From my vantage point, getting an Associates's in a field that, IMO, is not that sought after is not a wise investment of time and resources.

You're right: nobody mentioned the specific majors, but the person considering going to CCSN mentioned that he barely got through High School. I take this not so much as evidence of him being stupid, but as a sign that he is not that serious as a student and doesn't enjoy school much. It made me think that he was a bit less likely to pursure the more rigirous fields that I deem more in demand, but I could be wrong about it.

I agree with the second bolded completely. When I am giving advice, I am naturally expressing MY OPINION on the situation at hand.

I agree with the third bolded statement as well, although I wasn't advocating higher Education 'purely for the money.'

Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,075,484 times
There is a lot more to education/learning than getting a piece of paper which may or may not be used in the future.

The experience should never be discouraged IMO. If nothing more perhaps a person will discover a thing or two about themselves.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,915,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I don't think so.

My take is from the vantage point that the Economy is so weak (and the employment market so competitive) that adding a basic undergrad degree (or even an Associate's) is not going to change one's overall competitiveness, unless it's in one of the more sought after fields I mentioned earlier. Not to mention that there are already more College/University/Community College/Grad School graduates than the current employment market can absorb.

From what I know, the unemployment figures for graduates is cooked in the sense that those who are not able to find employment upon graduation are taken out of the pool, such that the UE rate appears to be much lower than it really is.

If you're pursuing something that is, traditionally, more valued in the employment market, then it's worth taking the loans as the money is available, the interest rates are low and very few people can afford to pay out-of-pocket.

On top of that, the person in quesion here has already exhibited relatively poor judgement and a tendency to make decisions without fully thinking it through (read: moving to Vegas). Although I don't know this person personally, I would prefer that he not make another mistake like this.
I guess this is the practical approach. I did ask you, so I respect your opinion. Not sure I completely agree with it, but it doesn't matter.

This "person" in question is 20, confused, a bit unhappy with himself, lacking some self-confidence, thinking that running away will make things better...I could go on but I am pretty sure you have been 20, so you get it. And if you had it all figured out then, congrats, you are most likely in a minority.

We have all had different experiences, which result in different opinions as to what is good and which way to get there. Personally, I admire Davie for doing what he has done so far. He researched, found this forum with a good group of people who gave all sorts of opinions in answer to his questions or comments, it gave him choices. He asked, learned, gave advice, took advice, followed a dream, realized it wasn't all sugar cones and has to figure what to do next. I disagree with you saying you don't want to see him make another "mistake". It is not a mistake. It is an experience. Some things are just worth more than money. Hope people don't waste too much time figuring that one out.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,428,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
That probably means I should buy a lottery ticket this evening.
not in NV, you don't.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 AM

52 posts, read 90,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
-insert prospective Las Vegas resident- knew that before moving there (Vegas)...and still chose to do so anyway. Look back on your posts when you were still living in -insert last place of residence-. People warned -insert propsective Las Vegas resident-. But like so many -insert current or previous Las Vegas resident who will continuously whine or has already left- ...you chose to ignore the warnings and still paint a self-picture in your mind that Las Vegas was Utopia.

corrected?

a sucker is born every minute...

Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 AM

25 posts, read 64,791 times
As the original poster its clear my post has been hijacked! But thanks for the replies which were actually directed at me!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:29 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,025,494 times
Welcome to the Las Vegas forum

Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,428,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieM28 View Post
As the original poster its clear my post has been hijacked! But thanks for the replies which were actually directed at me!!!!!!
If you're background is in the financial industry...you may want to consider NYC. The unemployment rate is about half of LV...and continuing to improve, especially in the area of finance.

Besides...the weather in NYC is more like London's.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 AM

787 posts, read 1,773,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Besides...the weather in NYC is more like London's.
Not sure that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas