U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,415,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3788 View Post
Not in every case. My buddy who is in charge of the hiring at the new NYNY sports bar said only 640 people applied for the 90 positions to be filled there.
Was a great opportunity.
Thats going to be the exception though just because it is that competitive, plus we have to remember how many came out here to apply to City Center then got hired only to be laid off or have hours cut by 1/2 right after opening. Same thing happened at M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:03 AM

15,380 posts, read 22,512,702 times
and the same thing wil happen at Cosmopolitan and any joint that opens ANYtime.

my adivce is "Don't leave the last joint if ya AIN'T a TRUE STAR" [not just a legend in yor own mind]

Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM

25 posts, read 41,431 times
Thanks guys for all your feedback, its much appreciated! I have my fingers crossed for Vegas! Its a great place, I love it there! If anything I can just enjoy a holiday there and look for somewhere else in the US where I can secure a decent job.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:45 AM

7,860 posts, read 13,750,361 times
There are jobs here if you are willing to do ANYTHING and work like crazy for very little money.

What you can't find is a full time job with decent pay and benefits.

Yes, there are always exceptions but generally that's just where we are right now.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 PM

1,536 posts, read 2,232,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieM28 View Post
My dad works all over the world but his home is based in Vegas. I've visited him for many years as a vacation and next year I am thinking of moving over.
I currently live in London, England. I have duel nationality for the UK and US.
All I hear on these forums (including the San Diego one which is where I am also thinking of going) is there's no work . I kind of find this impossible to really believe, it seems like everyone is literally SO negative about it. Like the whole of the Vegas population are scrambling around looking for work.
So is this the truth? I have a strong finance background and hoping to maybe work for a bank while I figure out where in the US I want to live. Vegas being a starting point because of my dad and rent is cheap but I would like to work while deciding my path.
Do you think things will improve by June 2011 (moving date) and are they already improving? Basically is there any hope!!!?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Thanks
Here is the latest report from the Brookings Mountain West on the future of job growth in Las Vegas and the surrounding area's as well an update on what is happening with housing prices.

Report: Jobs won’t return to pre-recession levels for 7 years

The Mountain West region, which includes Nevada, is on pace to wait another seven years before job levels return to those before the recession, according to a report released by Brookings Mountain West.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,739,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

my adivce is "Don't leave the last joint if ya AIN'T a TRUE STAR" [not just a legend in yor own mind]
The grass always looks greener, doesn't it?

Old 09-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
The grass always looks greener, doesn't it?
Until it gets CLIPPED

Old 09-18-2010, 11:38 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,090,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

What if you're a legend at the Imperial Palace?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 PM

then wipe your shoes before you come in the house.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:19 PM

5,441 posts, read 6,851,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieM28 View Post
My dad works all over the world but his home is based in Vegas. I've visited him for many years as a vacation and next year I am thinking of moving over.
I currently live in London, England. I have duel nationality for the UK and US.
All I hear on these forums (including the San Diego one which is where I am also thinking of going) is there's no work . I kind of find this impossible to really believe, it seems like everyone is literally SO negative about it. Like the whole of the Vegas population are scrambling around looking for work.
So is this the truth? I have a strong finance background and hoping to maybe work for a bank while I figure out where in the US I want to live. Vegas being a starting point because of my dad and rent is cheap but I would like to work while deciding my path.
Do you think things will improve by June 2011 (moving date) and are they already improving? Basically is there any hope!!!?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Thanks
If you are willing to work like mad for next to nothing then yes there are jobs. All I could get when I got here was a job that gives me almost $3 an hour less, and 1/2 the hours I had when I lived in Orlando.

Im considering going back home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas