U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,860,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Another quite unfortunate part of applying these days is that most companies now require you to do it online which really presents an issue for someone like me who has a less than great resume. I don't even get a chance to be an actor in the play.

Their loss. Guess I will just have to open my own business .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,801,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
2-3 months ago we hired a guy...for our office....HR screwed up and lost the paperwork...[IT HAPPENS]

He took a job somewhere else...[this guy had a GREAT resume and interviewed PERFECTLY]

3 weeks later we get a call....please please please I made a mistake this place is terrible I wanna word fot youz guys....

We jumped at the chance and put him back in the loop.

He came on board and began his training....

He was GREAT...perfect with customers....had fantastic customer service skills, was learning the procedures slowly but surely....

THENNNNNN....we started getting reports from the other employees....whenever the managers or supervisors were out of the room he would start mumbling.....things like.

This place sucks, this is the worst place I have EVER worked....all of your guys are ******* and so on and so on and so on....

Always mumbling under his breath and never speaking directly to an employee....one night he said OUT loud but to himself....

Im goin out after work n buy that shotgun....then beneath his breath in what is termed a "Stage Whisper" then you ******* are gonna find out.

We amassed statements and WHACK.....theres another opening....

all of these things make US as managers extremely cautious about hiring......one tiny discrepency on an application or resume and y ou are OUT.....and even then we get bit.....
That seems to be par these days with the current crop of applicants.

Just about anybody any good has left the industry or went tribal for peace of mind. And all the @ss kissers seem to be in Macau these days.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,443,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
Yeah but its not hard to go take some computer classes. its people dont want to and i am happy as heck people are actually testing the skills. I cant stand when i get questions like. my computer wont work... and its like really turn it on....
A secretary in the office I worked in years ago kept calling maintenance saying there is a plumbing leak from the ceiling and water was getting in to her computer.

Plumbers & maintenance people would come, pronounce everything A-OK only for the secretary to call again the next morning.

Finally, we discovered the issue. As a prank, someone had installed some software on her computer that operated as follows. When it was turned on in the morning, a message displayed on the screen saying:

"WARNING: Water detected in the disk drive."

"INITIATING Spin Cycle."

At which point an audio clip of a washing machine's spin cycle & drain sounds played for 10 seconds.

"SUCCESS: Drained all water from the disk drive."

At which point the PC finished its boot up routine.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:31 PM

11,583 posts, read 22,689,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A secretary in the office I worked in years ago kept calling maintenance saying there is a plumbing leak from the ceiling and water was getting in to her computer.

Plumbers & maintenance people would come, pronounce everything A-OK only for the secretary to call again the next morning.

Finally, we discovered the issue. As a prank, someone had installed some software on her computer that operated as follows. When it was turned on in the morning, a message displayed on the screen saying:

"WARNING: Water detected in the disk drive."

"INITIATING Spin Cycle."

At which point an audio clip of a washing machine's spin cycle & drain sounds played for 10 seconds.

"SUCCESS: Drained all water from the disk drive."

At which point the PC finished its boot up routine.

love it!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,504,841 times
Lots of those around. There was a famous one at SDS (later Xerox). Had a huge time shared computer. Every couple of months the main operator console would go to doing all numerics in roman numerals. They had to do a local boot to fix.

Never found it. Eventually wrote a routine that would detect it and reload the proper numeric package.

System programmer humor...a sophisticated version of the easter egg.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:36 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,972,555 times
"The American consumer is in a fragile state - high debt, low wage growth, poor employment prospects and increasing prices," said Chris G. Christopher, senior economist at IHS Global Insight."

Las Vegas has the highest unemployment rate in the nation...

Old 10-02-2011, 12:27 AM

542 posts, read 819,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
"The American consumer is in a fragile state - high debt, low wage growth, poor employment prospects and increasing prices," said Chris G. Christopher, senior economist at IHS Global Insight."

Las Vegas has the highest unemployment rate in the nation...
Speaking of which....

Does anyone know anything about the Ferris wheel? It was supposed to start already, right? It hasn't.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM

383 posts, read 521,814 times
I moved here in June after being laid off at a job out of state. I found a job within 60 days at a hotel, however it is a on-call (part time) basis. Finding full time employment seems to be difficult.
But I love Las Vegas having purchased my dream home before I moved here. If you're not looking for a construction job, it's going to be a difficult job hunt. I will you well.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,386,629 times
Unfortunately being number 1 in somethings isn't good and this is one of them.
We're No. 1 in income decline

Source: La vegas Review Journal

Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 AM

13,819 posts, read 24,561,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
Speaking of which....

Does anyone know anything about the Ferris wheel? It was supposed to start already, right? It hasn't.
Those type of projects have a tendancy to go "around-and-around" before they ever take hold...IF they ever take hold.

Last edited by jfkIII; 10-03-2011 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas