U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:46 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,799,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
If you are willing to work like mad for next to nothing then yes there are jobs. All I could get when I got here was a job that gives me almost $3 an hour less, and 1/2 the hours I had when I lived in Orlando.

Im considering going back home
Your so blind to see it. A tipped income beats a low end living wage any day of the week. LV is still king of tipped income. Get two part time jobs bussing tables at IHOP and Denny's. Get the experiance and wait untill your 21 and join the Culinary 226. Get your foot into a major resort and go from there. It is possible to work a resort waiting, bussing barbacking and attend UNLV. Even with 15% unemployment. The young are getting hired, Sell it while your young because you will be paying for it when your old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM

366 posts, read 1,070,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Your so blind to see it. A tipped income beats a low end living wage any day of the week. LV is still king of tipped income. Get two part time jobs bussing tables at IHOP and Denny's. Get the experiance and wait untill your 21 and join the Culinary 226. Get your foot into a major resort and go from there. It is possible to work a resort waiting, bussing barbacking and attend UNLV. Even with 15% unemployment. The young are getting hired, Sell it while your young because you will be paying for it when your old.
Amen...This is VEGAS . Tipped income rules. Even a bottom of the line place like Dennys or waiting a buffet at Red Rock means a 35-40K a year job. It is as simple as that.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:58 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,553,036 times
cash...not Elvis...is king in LV.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 PM

177 posts, read 311,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
If you are willing to work like mad for next to nothing then yes there are jobs. All I could get when I got here was a job that gives me almost $3 an hour less, and 1/2 the hours I had when I lived in Orlando.

Im considering going back home
I hope you aren't turning into another Vegas hater.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 AM

102 posts, read 186,422 times
there are low paying jobs that most Americans do not want to do. Those are scarce since people are beginning to realize a low paying job is better then no job.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 AM

5,737 posts, read 12,036,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
I hope you aren't turning into another Vegas hater.

I will never hate Vegas. I have not had the best of luck since I moved here but I dont blame the city for it. The city did not cause my car accident, or make Vons pay me only $7.25 an hour, among other things

Granted, a lot of things like that will make some people blame and hate their city wherever it may be. But I know its not the case

But this economy is being a real pain in the ass. It seems to worsen more and more, and it seems like the gov't has tried everything and it hasnt worked.

We are in year 3 now of this recession (Las Vegas is in a depression, and the local economy is STILL in a tail spin) and it seems as if there is no end in sight, for either LV or the US in general.

They say the UE rate here is 14.8%, but really when you factor in those whose claims have run out, people who have given up looking for work, and the under employed (part time minimum wage people like me) it is maybe around 25-35% UE.

That is why I am planning on going back to school, I dont want to make $7.25 an hour for the rest of my life dealing with rude customers at the meat counter at Vons.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 AM

13,819 posts, read 24,553,036 times
Yes...but you knew that before moving there...and still chose to do so anyway. Look back on your posts when you were still living in Orlando. People warned you. But like so many others...you chose to ignore the warnings and still paint a self-picture in your mind that Las Vegas was Utopia.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 AM

61 posts, read 117,786 times
Actually DavieJ89 I think you can still make it work out here. Your going to have to get a job with a tipped income as mojavdxer put it. Keep doing the grocery type work but you need to either become a busser or a barback or something of that nature when you turn 21. Yes competition and job opportunity is very limited right now but if you went in that direction at least you would make a decent living. The jobs you are doing now has no hope whether it makes 7 or 12 bucks a hour. If you do go back to school you better specialize in something. Good Luck.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM

5,737 posts, read 12,036,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yes...but you knew that before moving there...and still chose to do so anyway. Look back on your posts when you were still living in Orlando. People warned you. But like so many others...you chose to ignore the warnings and still paint a self-picture in your mind that Las Vegas was Utopia.
You're right JFK. If I knew than what I know now, I would have waited to move, if at all

My 21st is still 3 months out. It will greatly open up the job possibilities for me.

I've actually seriously been considering going home. I have given it a lot of thought and I realized I wasnt happy there, yet I don't seem to be happy here in LV either. I've never been happy anywhere I move.

The problem is myself and my inability to be satisfied with what I do have. I always feel inferior to others and like I dont have enough (ie material things) or that Im just not good enough (life in general)

Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM

3,622 posts, read 4,694,213 times
Davie, you are young and have your whole life ahead of you. I highly, highly recommend going to school and getting a degree. When I was your age I was a poor college student with hardly anything to my name. My husband and I wore coats instead of turning up our heater, we ate rice and beans. We had one car. Now we are in a much better place because of education. This is the time to go to school so you can have a better life later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas