U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:12 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,567,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
With the high unemployment it shouldn't be hard to find educated employees in Las Vegas. On top of that, many people will relocate from other states if they have a guaranteed good-paying job in Las Vegas. They can interview people over teleconference if they don't want to pay to fly them out for interviews.
In theory yes, in reality...not so sure. High level VP and C level jobs recruit nationwide and what you said applies. Mid level engineers, technitions, management with experience outside of hospitality/gaming is difficult to find.

Sometimes you just have to be where the labor pool is. Sorry, but that's factual and the real reason more CA based companies havent packed up shop and relocated to Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:19 PM

542 posts, read 819,228 times
And, looking at that site (http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/corp_inc.pdf) for a few min, it appears that other than CA, a high tax rate is bad for business (duh). States in the high 8 and 9s don't seem to do much. And neither do the states with low or no corporate taxes. (Purely just my initial thoughts, I haven't looked anything up yet)

Seems like the middle of the road (4s and 5%) corporate tax states do the best.

Which goes to show that a little compromise and both sides working together might actually be whats best for the country.... who'd a thunk?

"You pay taxes, and give us a nice place to live and raise a family, and we'll work hard to grow your business."

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM

412 posts, read 772,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
Actually, you are right sir. I thought they had changed that in the last few years, but it appears they have not.

No corporate taxes.... http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/corp_inc.pdf

And truthfully, I pulled Seattle out of my ass, for an example to illustrate my point. There are a ton of cities I could point to to show how a school system, "culture", higher education, mass transit, low unemployment rates with higher wages... a good city to live in, period.... is better for business than no regulations, and/or lower taxes.

Finding "people" to work isn't difficult. Finding educated people to work for $8 is.
Depends on what the definition of educated is. If they are talking about college graduates even from a 2 year community college, then so what if they have trouble finding people to work for $8. If they made the pay too low to attract qualified applicants then they get what they get or raise the pay.
The other person was talking about management or some other types of positions where minimum pay is not in the minimum wage range.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:57 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,256,024 times
My point was simply that employees satisfaction is probably pretty low on the list for most companies...what's good for the company is going to top that list...each company will be a bit different in what that entails but regardless They are all more concerned with bottom line than employee satisfaction. They usually only consider employee satisfaction in as much and as far as it affects bottom line!

FWIW I and totally a free market Capitalist and don't hate big companies or the wealthy...hell, I'd like to join them!

Old 10-29-2011, 09:24 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
My Mom is convinced that to get a good job in Vegas it takes connections and networking. I tend to agree with her on that.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,855,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My Mom is convinced that to get a good job in Vegas it takes connections and networking. I tend to agree with her on that.
Most definitely. If one were to master these two together a lot of doors will open.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 PM

293 posts, read 551,643 times
I feel lucky to get in as a Asst Manager at a retail chain at Planet Hollywood without knowing anyone then. Had 7 interveiws there and 5 at the warehouse manager job. Got lucky as I see it but needed a job since I moved here to join my wife without any leads since the places that I had leads needed me before I could get here. With no money besides her teaching pay to hold us over and pay bills, I needed something quick and there it was.Glad to be back and hope to meet some of the posters here that are supportive of this great place and it's people who are struggling to get work.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:44 PM

10,485 posts, read 22,554,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
I feel lucky to get in as a Asst Manager at a retail chain at Planet Hollywood without knowing anyone then. Had 7 interveiws there and 5 at the warehouse manager job. Got lucky as I see it but needed a job since I moved here to join my wife without any leads since the places that I had leads needed me before I could get here. With no money besides her teaching pay to hold us over and pay bills, I needed something quick and there it was.Glad to be back and hope to meet some of the posters here that are supportive of this great place and it's people who are struggling to get work.
I certainly support you although I do disagree with your overly optimistic views sometimes. I hope Planet Hollywood works out for you. There certainly is a lot of eye candy there.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:47 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
Step son went thru one of the truck driving schools....got on as a longhaul driver and spent one week on the road with a training driver that had NEVER met a truck stop shower so he came back to town, went to Whittlesea and was hired on the spot as a stretch limo driver.....started to work the next day.

There are jobs out there.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:48 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
you MUST be lying Nolan cause EVERYone knows there are NO jobs in LAS VEGAS.

Congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas