Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,227,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
I love that attitude.

I'm something special, and have a gigantic ego, because I think hard working people should be able to live happily. Yet, a CEO's salary of millions upon millions of dollars is perfectly fine. I mean my god, how selfish can I be. Such a fool I am.
Let me guess, you are a anti-capitalist liberal. If you want to make the big bucks, do it by starting your own corporation. I am the poorest of the poor, but it is my fault which I take accountability for, something you should do instead of complaining that others will not pay you what you "think" you are worth. I recently posted a thread where a welfare mom managed to make herself a millionaire. If she can do it, anyone can.

Welfare mom creates million dollar biz...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
3rd world wages are about a dollar a day. Maybe $2 if you are lucky.

Sweatshops and Third World Living Standards: Are the Jobs Worth the Sweat?: Publications: The Independent Institute

Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 AM

542 posts, read 985,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Let me guess, you are a anti-capitalist liberal. If you want to make the big bucks, do it by starting your own corporation. I am the poorest of the poor, but it is my fault which I take accountability for, something you should do instead of complaining that others will not pay you what you "think" you are worth. I recently posted a thread where a welfare mom managed to make herself a millionaire. If she can do it, anyone can.

Welfare mom creates million dollar biz...
You guess wrong. I love capitalism....but we don't have capitalism in this country. We have "too big to fail". We have "bailouts".

You honestly thing that every single person in this country has the capacity to make a million dollars? THat's like saying every single kid on the peewee football team has a chance at the NFL.

I'm not, nor have I ever asked anyone else to do anything for me. Life is 100% what you make of it. However, there are basic rights that the richest country in the world should provide its citizens. Germany, Sweden, Poland, Finland, Norway, etc etc etc seems to have no problem with unions, high tax rates, federal health care, mass transit, environmental protection... all while maintaining a healthy GDP/debt ratio.

The only examples we hear about however are Greece, and Ireland, who are indeed failing or have failed. However what we don't hear is, the last big move both of those countries made to "improve" their economy is to cut the corporate tax rate...... That seems familiar. Where have I heard that strategy before?????? Any ideas?

You know, the Bush tax cuts have been in place for ~10 years now? I thought cutting the corporate tax rate was supposed to create jobs? Where are the jobs?

I'll ask again, since no one seems to want to answer me. Where have I, at any time, said that I was waiting for the world to change? Waiting for my welfare check, while I ***** about being broke? Where did I say this? All of my posts are up for everyone to see. I make my life what it is, just as everyone should do. But when there are people actually trying to hold the middle class down, and keep us from being successful.....

Sometimes the most patriotic thing you can do is to question your government.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:45 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,227,900 times
Quote:
You guess wrong. I love capitalism....but we don't have capitalism in this country. We have "too big to fail". We have "bailouts".

You honestly thing that every single person in this country has the capacity to make a million dollars? THat's like saying every single kid on the peewee football team has a chance at the NFL.

I'm not, nor have I ever asked anyone else to do anything for me. Life is 100% what you make of it. However, there are basic rights that the richest country in the world should provide its citizens. Germany, Sweden, Poland, Finland, Norway, etc etc etc seems to have no problem with unions, high tax rates, federal health care, mass transit, environmental protection... all while maintaining a healthy GDP/debt ratio.

The only examples we hear about however are Greece, and Ireland, who are indeed failing or have failed. However what we don't hear is, the last big move both of those countries made to "improve" their economy is to cut the corporate tax rate...... That seems familiar. Where have I heard that strategy before?????? Any ideas?

You know, the Bush tax cuts have been in place for ~10 years now? I thought cutting the corporate tax rate was supposed to create jobs? Where are the jobs?

I'll ask again, since no one seems to want to answer me. Where have I, at any time, said that I was waiting for the world to change? Waiting for my welfare check, while I ***** about being broke? Where did I say this? All of my posts are up for everyone to see. I make my life what it is, just as everyone should do. But when there are people actually trying to hold the middle class down, and keep us from being successful.....

My main point is not to rely on others for your success. You have to do it on your own. Don't work for others as you will never get anywhere that way. As my dad taught me, I do know this myself, but then again I have no problem with working minimum wage jobs. You did say that you would not work for $18 an hour. At that level, you should own your own business and set your own salary. That is all I am saying....

Old 10-08-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:

You honestly thing that every single person in this country has the capacity to make a million dollars? That's like saying every single kid on the peewee football team has a chance at the NFL.

I don't believe that government or corporations are keeping the middle class down. I say this because we would not have success stories like the one that LVD posted. How can these rags to riches stories even happen if there was an entity that was keeping us down?

I believe everyone has a fair chance to do whatever they want to do in this country. Even if you have to make an extreme drastic change to do it.

I do agree with you as far as questioning the government. Everyone should have the right to do this. Especially now with the government's recent track record. We should be questioning the government more than ever now.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:34 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,565,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I don't believe that government or corporations are keeping the middle class down. I say this because we would not have success stories like the one that LVD posted. How can these rags to riches stories even happen if there was an entity that was keeping us down?

I believe everyone has a fair chance to do whatever they want to do in this country. Even if you have to make an extreme drastic change to do it.

I do agree with you as far as questioning the government. Everyone should have the right to do this. Especially now with the government's recent track record. We should be questioning the government more than ever now.
The issue is really so multidimensional that even getting into it on a forum isn't enough. Obviously, it would be absurd to say that it's impossible to become wealthy even in this day and age. In fact, the number of millionaires has been steadily rising at an unprecedented rate. Unfortunately, the disparity between the rich and the poor has also been growing at an unprecedented rate. The problem in the most obvious sense as far as I see it is the government that should be here to serve the people is no longer doing so properly. It has lost objectivity and can and almost always has its hands in corporations pockets and vice versa. Money has become king and if an economy is to survive it must weigh the importance of other things besides money. Labels like liberal and conservative are meaningless. Mere distractions at best to fuel a circus act of a side show.

Yes, you certainly have to put your own creativity and effort in if you want to be successful. The answers to the current problems have nothing to do with giving free handouts or making the government bigger and more encompassing. If anything it will come down to local governments creating self sustaining economies where the money is continually reinvested in the local area and not floating off to god knows where to fund god knows what. Where every dollar you spend isn't going to fund more growth and advertising for X,Y or Z corporation instead of the area you live in.

It would not be correct to say that the corporations are keeping us down as they are merely following what we all thought was the American dream. I would say that it is the common perception of what the American dream actually is that has begun a crippling domino effect of greed. We're all guilty of trying to get and horde as much money as we can. Corporations are just better at it. A system built on the premise of greed is however destined to fail. We don't need to look very far into history to notice this regardless of what you decide to label yourself as.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
The "rags to riches" stories happened even in the Middle Ages, when people were definitly being kept down. They were just very, very rare. That is the point, not whether it can or can't happen at all, but how difficult it is. If only one in ten thousand has what it takes, is it too hard?

For many, many years, America was the country where it was easy to work ones way up, and hard work led to success. And America was so far ahead for so long that it just became an assumed fact that America was the place for it.

Today, America has the lowest social mobility in the developed world, next to the UK. Just like anything assumed to be fine, it went from best to worst pretty quickly.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
The issue is really so multidimensional that even getting into it on a forum isn't enough. Obviously, it would be absurd to say that it's impossible to become wealthy even in this day and age. In fact, the number of millionaires has been steadily rising at an unprecedented rate. Unfortunately, the disparity between the rich and the poor has also been growing at an unprecedented rate. The problem in the most obvious sense as far as I see it is the government that should be here to serve the people is no longer doing so properly. It has lost objectivity and can and almost always has its hands in corporations pockets and vice versa. Money has become king and if an economy is to survive it must weigh the importance of other things besides money. Labels like liberal and conservative are meaningless. Mere distractions at best to fuel a circus act of a side show.

Yes, you certainly have to put your own creativity and effort in if you want to be successful. The answers to the current problems have nothing to do with giving free handouts or making the government bigger and more encompassing. If anything it will come down to local governments creating self sustaining economies where the money is continually reinvested in the local area and not floating off to god knows where to fund god knows what. Where every dollar you spend isn't going to fund more growth and advertising for X,Y or Z corporation instead of the area you live in.

It would not be correct to say that the corporations are keeping us down as they are merely following what we all thought was the American dream. I would say that it is the common perception of what the American dream actually is that has begun a crippling domino effect of greed. We're all guilty of trying to get and horde as much money as we can. Corporations are just better at it. A system built on the premise of greed is however destined to fail. We don't need to look very far into history to notice this regardless of what you decide to label yourself as.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
The "rags to riches" stories happened even in the Middle Ages, when people were definitly being kept down. They were just very, very rare. That is the point, not whether it can or can't happen at all, but how difficult it is. If only one in ten thousand has what it takes, is it too hard?

For many, many years, America was the country where it was easy to work ones way up, and hard work led to success. And America was so far ahead for so long that it just became an assumed fact that America was the place for it.

Today, America has the lowest social mobility in the developed world, next to the UK. Just like anything assumed to be fine, it went from best to worst pretty quickly.

There was a time when I thought it was a good idea to bail out the car makers, and banks. They are massive corporations, and really do give a lot to our economy. However, talking with a friend of mine the other day, he got me to see the error in my ways.

Everyone (Well most) seem to be stuck on the misguided fact that Capitalism is the reason for this collapse. The real question to ask is, did capitalism fail, or did we fail at capitalism? If we really did have capitalism, then greedy corporations would self implode from greed. Citi bank, AIG, Chrysler, etc, etc. would no longer exist. And, I think they knew that. Being in the pockets of the government gave them the balls to run a corrupt business, knowing they "were to big to fail".

I don't remember the exact number, but the bank bailout alone was enough money to give every single man and woman over the age of 21 something like $90k. So a married couple that lost their jobs and foreclosed on their house, could have gotten $180k to save their house. AND, the government gets paid back that money because the middle class would put that money right back into the economy. Buying houses, cars, tvs...whatever. Not to mention the banks no longer go under, because the people can then make their house payments......

I don't think the government directly holds the middle class down, however, they have proven that in tough times, they would rather support a corporation than its citizens.

The 1% in this country right now are making money hand over fist. Yet, we're having arguments on a forum (And I'm guessing the same is happening all over the country) over a $15/hr job....

Last edited by m73m95; 10-08-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 12:47 PM

10 Job Slashers That Benefited From A Tax Holiday: IPS

Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:

There was a time when I thought it was a good idea to bail out the car makers, and banks. They are massive corporations, and really do give a lot to our economy. However, talking with a friend of mine the other day, he got me to see the error in my ways.

Everyone (Well most) seem to be stuck on the misguided fact that Capitalism is the reason for this collapse. The real question to ask is, did capitalism fail, or did we fail at capitalism? If we really did have capitalism, then greedy corporations would self implode from greed. Citi bank, AIG, Chrysler, etc, etc. would no longer exist. And, I think they knew that. Being in the pockets of the government gave them the balls to run a corrupt business, knowing they "were to big to fail".

I don't remember the exact number, but the bank bailout alone was enough money to give every single man and woman over the age of 21 something like $90k. So a married couple that lost their jobs and foreclosed on their house, could have gotten $180k to save their house. AND, the government gets paid back that money because the middle class would put that money right back into the economy. Buying houses, cars, tvs...whatever. Not to mention the banks no longer go under, because the people can then make their house payments......

I don't think the government directly holds the middle class down, however, they have proven that in tough times, they would rather support a corporation than its citizens.

The 1% in this country right now are making money hand over fist. Yet, we're having arguments on a forum (And I'm guessing the same is happening all over the country) over a $15/hr job....
There is an entire section dedicated to that area. Actually 2 areas if you count the employment section. I get a headache every time I go in there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas