U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,434,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post

Now that I'm in Santa Fe I'm having this "island" feeling. I'm used to the east coast where it's so densely populated that you can virtually never find "the middle of nowhere." Not so in New Mexico. I feel as if I'd fall off the planet when I leave the Santa Fe county lines. It must be like that in Vegas, too, no?
'cept LV is HUGE and spralwing. I moved here from southern Santa Fe county, just east of Albuquerque. Nothing like that here. Its slightly reminiscent of Albuquerque, but much much larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:13 PM

245 posts, read 546,887 times
Atlas1337,

Gosh, $170K for a nice high rise condo sounds like a dream come true.

When I left NJ in 2009 my property taxes were $1,200 per month

I'm looking for a place that I can afford so easily that I can still take several vacations per year and live my life in ways other than being strapped to a mortgage and taxes.

I'm planning a trip to Vegas this November. I'll have a look around. I imagine the fact that there ARE lots of transplants there from the east coast as a good thing...nice to have others with your similar background.

Don't get me wrong, I love Santa Fe, it's just too expensive. Can't get much here less than $400K. And since Santa Fe is the desert and I do like that part of it, I'm thinking Vegas is a good potential.

The other spot I'm thinking of is Atlanta. But the weather and crime and not knowing anyone there makes me nervous. I'm not sure I'd fit in with the southerners...

Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 PM

245 posts, read 546,887 times
lisdol,

I gotta get to Vegas asap. So it's really really huge, now? It's been at least 10 years since I've been...

Is there a downtown section, you know, like a Main St., totally separate from "the strip?"

Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 AM

351 posts, read 719,476 times
I've lived at Sky for 2 1/2 years now & I love it. There's nothing more exciting than having the lights of The Strip just outside my windows. I've always felt VERY safe here, & have barely noticed anything wild going on. (Of course this is Vegas & there should be young people & working girls here & there!) Reading this forum is the most depressing thing in my life-jeesh there are so many Debbie Downers on here-& I don't even know if they live here! Las Vegas is a trip-enjoy!!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:28 AM

366 posts, read 1,070,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslocal55 View Post
I've lived at Sky for 2 1/2 years now & I love it. There's nothing more exciting than having the lights of The Strip just outside my windows. I've always felt VERY safe here, & have barely noticed anything wild going on. (Of course this is Vegas & there should be young people & working girls here & there!) Reading this forum is the most depressing thing in my life-jeesh there are so many Debbie Downers on here-& I don't even know if they live here! Las Vegas is a trip-enjoy!!

So so true. I come on here to get a good laugh.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 PM

351 posts, read 719,476 times
Good to know it's not just me thinking that way, Joe! I'm so glad that I didn't discover this forum until after I impulsively moved here 2 years ago or I'd still be back in that beautiful big city with very little to do!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:27 PM

638 posts, read 1,905,506 times
I just made the reverse move, from Las Vegas to Jersey City, but I lived in Vegas for 7 years and still own a home there. I find I am much happier here in Jersey, but that probably has more to do with my personal life than where I am living.

I found that life is a lot "easier" in Las Vegas. Its pretty simple to get around, provided you have a car, and its an extremely cheap place to live. The taxes in NJ took me by surprise when I first moved here, and my car insurance is running me around 2300 per year. Its insane. Also my car is now falling apart and has a lot of new rattles due to the horrific road conditions here too! The roadways are made of patches over top of patches.

My main motivation for getting out of Vegas was the unstable job market. My career is on much more solid footing in NYC and it looks like the economy here is getting stronger. I also started getting bored in Vegas. After 7 years, I started feeling island fever. Vegas is a large town, but its still isolated out in that desert. I used to find myself driving to LA once a month just to escape. It never bothered me at first, but after a while it started to wear on me.

I agree with the comment that if you have an East coast work ethic and attitude you will go far. Vegas is on a slower speed. There is never a real sense of urgency in the air out there.

The Vegas metro area and NYC metro area are like night and day and the compair and contrast could go on forever. Still, I met a lot of New Yorkers and people from Jersey who had moved to Vegas and love it. Most comment on how shiney and new Vegas is compaired to how gritty and old parts of NY/NJ can be.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:39 PM

399 posts, read 870,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Welcome to Las Vegas Atlas. Seems you are settling in quite nicely. You may want to start cooking at home more...if you eat enough of those "healthy" McD's meals, you can gain about 30+ lbs in a month.
You will definitely need a car. Many people moving here think they don't need one, but you do if you want to see it all far and wide. Where I live, it takes almost an hour to get to Henderson. If I went by bus, it would probably take 3 hours with all the stops they make. Forget that!
You need a car depending on what you want to do and where you choose to live in relation to that. If you need to commute/visit Henderson regularly and don't have a car, then you better plan on living nearby and along the bus route going to places you need to go instead of 35 miles and 4 bus transfers away. If you have a job that requires you to go around to client sites all over town, of course you need a vehicle.

I visited the Las Vegas area and I see I could live without a car if I was willing to only regularly travel to places that were within walking distance or not difficult to reach by bus. I can order groceries for delivery from Vons and Albertsons, order many other items online from Amazon.com etc..
I rode down to the strip and back by bus from Centennial Hills and it wasn't bad. I'm sure there are buses to the strip from many sections of Las Vegas.
I could still travel to other places by rental car, but it would need to be limited to once a month or less to prevent yearly cost from approaching anywhere near having a car.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 PM

786 posts, read 1,513,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
...and my car insurance is running me around 2300 per year. Its insane. Also my car is now falling apart and has a lot of new rattles due to the horrific road conditions here too! The roadways are made of patches over top of patches.
Heh, no kidding. I actually broke a trailing arm right in half (the thick steel part) driving from x14A off the turnpike to my place on the South side of Jersey City. The roads here are just awful. As is car-insurance, as you note. Looking forward to some smooth, cheap, recently-paved driving in Vegas.

NYC is fun. My fiancee and I are ready for a change, though, and we both work from home, so we figured we'd buy a place in Vegas for about half our current rent-payment.

Where in Vegas did you live (MR77)?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 PM

366 posts, read 1,070,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
I just made the reverse move, from Las Vegas to Jersey City, but I lived in Vegas for 7 years and still own a home there. I find I am much happier here in Jersey, but that probably has more to do with my personal life than where I am living.

I found that life is a lot "easier" in Las Vegas. Its pretty simple to get around, provided you have a car, and its an extremely cheap place to live. The taxes in NJ took me by surprise when I first moved here, and my car insurance is running me around 2300 per year. Its insane. Also my car is now falling apart and has a lot of new rattles due to the horrific road conditions here too! The roadways are made of patches over top of patches.

My main motivation for getting out of Vegas was the unstable job market. My career is on much more solid footing in NYC and it looks like the economy here is getting stronger. I also started getting bored in Vegas. After 7 years, I started feeling island fever. Vegas is a large town, but its still isolated out in that desert. I used to find myself driving to LA once a month just to escape. It never bothered me at first, but after a while it started to wear on me.

I agree with the comment that if you have an East coast work ethic and attitude you will go far. Vegas is on a slower speed. There is never a real sense of urgency in the air out there.

The Vegas metro area and NYC metro area are like night and day and the compair and contrast could go on forever. Still, I met a lot of New Yorkers and people from Jersey who had moved to Vegas and love it. Most comment on how shiney and new Vegas is compaired to how gritty and old parts of NY/NJ can be.
Great great points....could not have said it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas