U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 AM

194 posts, read 341,494 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this post sounds pompus, It's not meant to boast.

Got my eye on a specific M3 at Desert BMW
MSRP around $76,000
Paying cash.

Plan was to offer around 68k, it almost has every option, except a sunroof. Stick to my price and if not, walk.
Alternative, get a 335i (almost the same car) offering a few k below MSRP.

What's the strategy with dealer's in Vegas this time of year? Are they having hard times moving high ticket inventory? Anyone in the business have advice. 68k too low?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 AM

Oh ya, anyone know a dealer that can make good things happen close to invoice?

Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 AM

2,038 posts, read 3,651,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblud View Post

MSRP around $76,000
Paying cash.

Plan was to offer around 68k, it almost has every option, except a sunroof. Stick to my price and if not, walk.

What's the strategy with dealer's in Vegas this time of year? Are they having hard times moving high ticket inventory? Anyone in the business have advice. 68k too low?
TIA

It's tough to negotiate on items that are truly items of passion, not basic transportation. Desert BMW really doesn't have a reputation for negotiating on something as rare as a brand new M3.

That said, in sales, never be afraid to ask for what you think the item is worth. If the sticker is $10 and you think it's worth a buck, ask!

If you're not negotiating up from the invoice price, you're not in control of the transaction. Be prepared to walk. If I were you, I wouldn't negotiate on the showroom floor. The only time you should be there is to test drive and take delivery.If you are genuinely concerned about insulting the dealer with a lowball offer of 68k, find out what the invoice price is and offer around 3% above that. That's a fair commission on a car. That will include doc fees. Don't negotiate a good deal and then get taken by the finance office. Also, time your purchase towards the end of the month.

Don't assume because you're a cash customer you're going to be given any special consideration. The finance office usually makes most of the money in these transactions.

And trust me, you don't come across as boasting. You're gonna lose 60% of the purchase price in 3 years. That's 45k. Hope you enjoy it!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 AM

102 posts, read 186,527 times
Come to Reno and they will JUMP and the 14 hr. round trip ride would be worth it.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
And trust me, you don't come across as boasting. You're gonna lose 60% of the purchase price in 3 years. That's 45k. Hope you enjoy it!
Wow, that hit home. I'll only be able to drive it a few months this first year. More once the family moves back too.

I still want it. Eom, great i'll be there on the 27th!
Awesome tips SK, rawk on!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 AM

Reno, checking what they have now, thx!!!

edit: Nah no M's in Reno. Stuck buying in Vegas.

Last edited by youngblud; 09-20-2010 at 03:22 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 08:35 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,387,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblud View Post

MSRP around $76,000
Paying cash.

TIA
I was in the auto industry for 18 yrs on the sales side prior to getting into real-estate. And the way to purchase a vehicle now days is to go on line whether purchasing a new or used car. You will cut out the middle man which is the sales person. Have the price locked down before you test drive the car as well meaning have the internet agent send you signed offer from the dealer agreed upon purchase price.
An internet agent is paid differently they are paid by the hour and they will be able to get you your best deal. You can lock down the price you can buy it for walk in and have all the paper work done. Finance will try to talk you into additional purchases that is how the finance person makes their money.
If you want to purchase an additional warranty that is negotiable as well and you can buy that anytime you don't have to purchase that at the time of the sale. Right now BMW has a pretty good factory warranty so I would recommend not getting and extended warranty just before the factory one runs out if you keep the car that long.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,730,389 times
Youngblud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post

While this may be the case in "normal" cars, the M-series BMWs are worth substantially more as used cars. If you look on Autotrader, you will find that most 2008 M3s are now selling for about 10-12% less than new list price. That would mean that in a private sale, you would probably have to drop down to the low 60's to sell your car in three years--if you are only paying 68k for that in the first place, you're looking at about 10% loss.

BTW, the car you're looking at wouldn't be the Interlagos Blue one, would it? My wife and I were eyeing that one also.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 AM

1,808 posts, read 3,269,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
BTW, the car you're looking at wouldn't be the Interlagos Blue one, would it? My wife and I were eyeing that one also.
You better get there before the 27th.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM

757 posts, read 1,040,783 times
You didn't say if it was a 2010 or 2011? Go to Costcoauto.com and get invoice prices. Also go to Edmunds.com then go to the BMW forums and then go to the prices paid forum. Also you can buy invoice info from Consumerreports.com. If you don't know the exact invoice cost including shipping then you can't properly negotiate. Also consider driving outside the area to another dealer to get a good price or at least a comparison price to use as leverage against the local dealer.

Last edited by Packrat1; 09-20-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas