Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 20,524 times

Advertisements

I live in a one year old complex in Henderson. I have to deal with a cricket getting in almost daily. It's hard to find them(unless it's in a bathroom) and the chirping drives me insane all night. I had them bug spray our door entrances but it didn't work. I have a child so chemicals like that don't work for me in general for safety. Neighbors have had the same problem and it's always worse the day after lawn maintenace is here. Is it due to being near a pool? Ground floor? We also get tiny tiny red ants if so much as a cheerio is left on the floor on accident. The apartment is super clean so it drives me crazy because it's hard to find the crckets, sometimes they sound to be under the carpetting or in corners but are not visible. Also notice we get huge roaches in bathrooms if tub/sink drains are not left closed overnight. Is this normal? What can I do? The place is new, kept up well and expensive so I'm angry we have the constant chirping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,977,348 times
12 gauge shotgun double aught Buck.....

Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,391,107 times
Blame those new residents from the UK...they play cricket.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,821,994 times
Call the Bugbully from the link below.
Home

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,391,107 times
Oh...bully!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,456,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kms234 View Post
I live in a one year old complex in Henderson. I have to deal with a cricket getting in almost daily. It's hard to find them(unless it's in a bathroom) and the chirping drives me insane all night. I had them bug spray our door entrances but it didn't work. I have a child so chemicals like that don't work for me in general for safety. Neighbors have had the same problem and it's always worse the day after lawn maintenace is here. Is it due to being near a pool? Ground floor? We also get tiny tiny red ants if so much as a cheerio is left on the floor on accident. The apartment is super clean so it drives me crazy because it's hard to find the crckets, sometimes they sound to be under the carpetting or in corners but are not visible. Also notice we get huge roaches in bathrooms if tub/sink drains are not left closed overnight. Is this normal? What can I do? The place is new, kept up well and expensive so I'm angry we have the constant chirping!

Crickets are common right now. No home is bug proof, and does not matter how clean or new the complex is, you live in the desert. Best thing for the crickets is a granular product on the outside. For the ants, some kind of bait or dusting in the walls. For the roaches in the bath tub it is best to pour a cup of bleach or drain cleaner down the drains, all that stuff that gets built up is a good food source of the roaches.

There is really not need to worry about the chemicals that are used, most companies now us safe chemicals. We have a lot of laws and regulations that all companies have to abide by. All the products that our company uses are safe but effective, most of them with no odor for the interior.

Also depends on when you had the pest control treat your home. Most products only last 30 days in our weather, and it also depends on how often your property waters, and also if you have shrubbery right up against your unit. That can become a nice hiding spot for the insects.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,189,547 times
Get a cat. They will find the cricket immediately and play with it.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,456,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Get a cat. They will find the cricket immediately and play with it.
So true, my kitty loves bringing me presents. Me, not so much. But I love it because it shows she loves us, lol.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,238,010 times
We had a bad cricket problem in our house in Tucson the first summer we lived here. Among other things, they were in the overhead ductwork, which seems to magnify the noise so it could be heard all over the house -- it IS maddening. We got on a regular treatment schedule with an exterminator. He now only has to spray inside once a year. The outdoor treatment that we get every three months does the trick. The few that get in here now are easy to kill because they're half-dead by the time I see them.

I realize you're in a complex, so obviously you can't pay to have the whole place sprayed. Doing just the door probably won't help much; they come in so many other ways. Maybe you could apply the granular product outside yourself. Bugbully was right about crickets congregating near shrubbery and water sources. Most of ours are on the side of the house where the hose is. Check your place for any cracks in baseboards. Apply pesticide inside the under-sink cabinets in your house and make sure your shower and bathtub are well-caulked if they are on an outside wall. Also, if you have a garage door, keep it closed as much as possible.

I don't have the water bug problem so much from the drainpipes, but I did when I lived in a garden apartment in Washington, DC. There, I poured boiling water -- not just hot from the tap, boiling from the stove -- down all my drains weekly (never thought of bleach -- that's a good idea). In my kitchen about once a month I pour a small box of baking soda down the drain, followed by a couple of cups of white vinegar. I let it foam for about 15 minutes, then a rinse it with a pot full of boiling water. That keeps your drain, disposal, and dishwasher from smelling and I would assume it helps to kill bugs, too.

It is crummy to have this problem when you work hard to keep your house clean. I empathize.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 PM

399 posts, read 1,022,599 times
I don't think they come up from the drain. They probably come in from somewhere else, then go down the drain looking for food/water and climb out later. The boiling water won't do anything after it cools (maybe damage some plumbing seals and cause a leak), but bleach might kill germs and make it an unattractive place to look for food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas