Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 12,717 times

Advertisements

Hello! I currently live in Southern California, but I'll be starting UNLV law this August, and I desperately need some help. I've read the previous threads and gotten some great information about housing and safety - henderson and summerlin seem like strong choices to find a place - but I was hoping that someone could tell me a bit more about the commute. I was counting on living close to campus until I read all the posts about how unsafe that may be, especially since I'll be living alone, but I also don't want to deal with an hour long commute every day. Also, any suggestions of specific apt. complexes/condos in those or any other safe neighborhoods would be wonderful. I'll be in town mid-July to look for a place, but won't have time to return before moving, so I'm trying to schedule some walkthroughs before heading out. Thank you in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 01:53 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees1girl46 View Post
Hello! I currently live in Southern California, but I'll be starting UNLV law this August, and I desperately need some help. I've read the previous threads and gotten some great information about housing and safety - henderson and summerlin seem like strong choices to find a place - but I was hoping that someone could tell me a bit more about the commute. I was counting on living close to campus until I read all the posts about how unsafe that may be, especially since I'll be living alone, but I also don't want to deal with an hour long commute every day. Also, any suggestions of specific apt. complexes/condos in those or any other safe neighborhoods would be wonderful. I'll be in town mid-July to look for a place, but won't have time to return before moving, so I'm trying to schedule some walkthroughs before heading out. Thank you in advance for all your help!
The commute from the Green Valley area of Henderson would not be a bad commute at all. Summerlin would be a little further depending on where in Summerlin. I can't help you with specific apartments but I'm sure olecapt and the kid can.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:18 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,306 times
Actually it may be a little more expensive but the Vegas Towers at Maryland and Flamingo is a great apt. complex, plus the commute is great, lol, a 5 minute walk to campus...It is a very secure complex and even has its own convenience store...I've known many of my sister's friends who stayed there while attending UNLV...

Now Green Valley Apartments, we've stayed in one complex, my brother and sister-in-law have been in and out of some of them, most of the ones in Green Valley aren't that great, we've had bad experiences with most of them...

Old 07-04-2007, 10:35 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,055 times
I think you'll be able to find something safe close to campus that will allow you to come and go from school more easily, but if you want to get outside the area, maybe Silverado Ranch is the area for you (89123). It's only a couple exits down the 215 from the UNLV/Airport exit and will definitely be quieter and a little safer.

I lived around UNLV for several years when I studied there (Class of 99!) and there is nothing better than being a few minutes from campus when you have that early morning class or late night study session. Also, parking is a complete joke, so if you can walk or bike to class, you're saving yourself tons of grief and $. You are smart to weigh it out, though, especially since you plan to live alone. Good luck at UNLV!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:58 PM

89123 is perfect because you can just take Bermuda all the way down (2 or 3 lights) to the airport tunnel off of George Crockett and then take Swenson, Russell to Maryland or Tropicana to UNLV...We use the airport tunnel all the time when going to midtown, its so much faster than taking I-15 to Flamingo or Tropicana or taking Eastern all the way down...

Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 12,717 times
Thank you all so much for the great advice! lvkewlkid, the Vegas Towers sound ideal, especially since the security is supposed to be really secure there in comparison to the other complexes close to campus. And I will definitely take a look at some properties in Silverado Ranch during my visit. I'm just hoping to be able to find a place without a roach/scorpion infestation...the online apartment ratings have gotten me a little scared about that (and getting my car stolen). Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:52 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,055 times
Take those with a grain of salt, since the only people who bother to go online to review an apartment are those who have something to gripe about.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:50 AM

78 posts, read 342,531 times
I agree with Chest on the convenience...The realty is this...Vegas is a City of opportunity and regardless of where you live...if you do not live smart, then you are potenitally at risk...heck someone in 89123 Silverado Ranch was just broken into and killed....you just never know. I attended UNLV (1997!!) and lived and continue to maintain a home near there...I would not consider living anywhere else! You are really close to everything!

Sometimes outlying areas, create a false sense of security....you just have to decide what is important for you.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:43 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityModern View Post
I agree with Chest on the convenience...The realty is this...Vegas is a City of opportunity and regardless of where you live...if you do not live smart, then you are potenitally at risk...heck someone in 89123 Silverado Ranch was just broken into and killed....you just never know. I attended UNLV (1997!!) and lived and continue to maintain a home near there...I would not consider living anywhere else! You are really close to everything!

Sometimes outlying areas, create a false sense of security....you just have to decide what is important for you.
Yes and no...89138 and 89134 have about one tenth the violent crime than does 89123. 89123 has one fourth the crime of 89109.

The suburbs actually are a good bit safer.

A lot of this has to do with the presence of major streets with commerce on them. But still you will have a much lower probability of being a crime victim in Summerlin than south strip.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityModern View Post

yes, you really are close to everything, that's why its my favorite area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas