Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,289,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
AC doesn't make a difference at all on battery life. Once the car is running, everything is run off the alternator, not battery.
But does it put a drain on the battery to start the car with the A/C on as it does with the lights on?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,183,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
But does it put a drain on the battery to start the car with the A/C on as it does with the lights on?
No it doesn't. The AC compressor is run off the engine via a drive belt. The lights will pull a drain when starting as it is electrical and will work whether the car is running or not. For example, if you turn your car on without starting it, the AC will not work. The battery is only used to get the car started. If you start the car and were to disconnect the battery, your AC and all accessories will still work just fine.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't. The AC compressor is run off the engine via a drive belt. The lights will pull a drain when starting as it is electrical and will work whether the car is running or not. For example, if you turn your car on without starting it, the AC will not work. The battery is only used to get the car started. If you start the car and were to disconnect the battery, your AC and all accessories will still work just fine.
But the fan does blow as soon as you turn the key. It also works the other way. You can drive with a blown alternator as long as the battery stays up. At night with lights on you'll get about 20 miles or less; in the daytime you can go a long way.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:12 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,183,051 times
Quote:
But the fan does blow as soon as you turn the key. It also works the other way. You can drive with a blown alternator as long as the battery stays up. At night with lights on you'll get about 20 miles or less; in the daytime you can go a long way.
I thought we were talking about a healthy car? Yes, your car will switch to the battery power if you have a non functioning alternator. As far as the fan, if you leave the ac switched on when you start the car if could potentially reduce battery life. I personally do not try to start the car with accessories such as lights turned on.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I thought we were talking about a healthy car? Yes, your car will switch to the battery power if you have a non functioning alternator. As far as the fan, if you leave the ac switched on when you start the car if could potentially reduce battery life. I personally do not try to start the car with accessories such as lights turned on.
Yeah but nobody remembers to turn off the A/C. Also, one of our cars has the always on running lights, and I've wondered about that. Maybe they are automatically switched off until it starts.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,446,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3788 View Post
The real question is how will a vulva survive out here?!?
Quote:
As long as it is properly maintained it will do just fine.
I say as long as the battery doesn't go dead...she'll be fine.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,774,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
I've read comments regarding deterioration of interiors in the hot sun. I also read on another thread that BMWs and other European cars may not run as well as certain other cars in desert conditions

Those cars have no issues operating in the desert conditions of the Middle East.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,558,909 times
The only thing I have noted since moving here is that my car does not perform quite as well in high heat conditions. I suspect this is not just my car as it likely relates to the fact that air is denser in cold temperatures. This allows your engine to pull in more air on a cold day and a lot less on a hot day.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
The only thing I have noted since moving here is that my car does not perform quite as well in high heat conditions. I suspect this is not just my car as it likely relates to the fact that air is denser in cold temperatures. This allows your engine to pull in more air on a cold day and a lot less on a hot day.
Where did you come from? I'm no mechanic, but could it be a higher altitude here than where you came from? Your car may have been tuned up to perform at a much lower altitude if you come from near sea level, and it may be getting a too rich mixture. ????????????? Just a guess. Las Vegas averages about 2000 feet elevation.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 AM

787 posts, read 1,773,992 times
Quote:
Where did you come from? I'm no mechanic, but could it be a higher altitude here than where you came from? Your car may have been tuned up to perform at a much lower altitude if you come from near sea level, and it may be getting a too rich mixture. ????????????? Just a guess. Las Vegas averages about 2000 feet elevation.

Fuel-injected cars (ie, anything built in the last 20+yrs) detect the mass of air coming through the intake, incorporate other inputs such as engine load, throttle position (ie, driver demand), and intake air temperature, and the computer determines the right amount of time to pulse the fuel injectors to get an ideal fuel/air mixture, as well as the correct spark advance for the conditions. There is no "tuning up" for altitude and so-forth. The computer handles it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas