Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 05:27 AM

30 posts, read 139,345 times

Advertisements

I'm retired now and am looking to finally get out of Louisiana. I took a "hurricane vacation" in Aug '08 to get away from Gustav and Vegas was one of my many stops on the way to exploring Utah, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado (3 weeks of driving - whew!).

So many places were great to visit, but I was somewhat impressed by Vegas, the countryside as well as the weather. Coming from a high humidity state like La to the desert, the high heat didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. Instead of being soaked in sweat and ready to collapse, I was dry and fairly comfortable, even though the streets were so hot I thought my shoes were going to melt.

Looking at Realtor.com I see many very nice looking homes for sale in what looks like very nice neighborhoods, and at very low prices. I have to wonder if there's a 'catch.'

So what is the weather like in the middle of winter? Is it what the rest of the country would call moderate or what? I imagine any kind of snowy conditions would be rare if not unheard of.

PS: Jfk sounds as if he lives in New Orleans, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St8kout View Post
I'm retired now and am looking to finally get out of Louisiana. I took a "hurricane vacation" in Aug '08 to get away from Gustav and Vegas was one of my many stops on the way to exploring Utah, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado (3 weeks of driving - whew!).

So many places were great to visit, but I was somewhat impressed by Vegas, the countryside as well as the weather. Coming from a high humidity state like La to the desert, the high heat didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. Instead of being soaked in sweat and ready to collapse, I was dry and fairly comfortable, even though the streets were so hot I thought my shoes were going to melt.

Looking at Realtor.com I see many very nice looking homes for sale in what looks like very nice neighborhoods, and at very low prices. I have to wonder if there's a 'catch.'

So what is the weather like in the middle of winter? Is it what the rest of the country would call moderate or what? I imagine any kind of snowy conditions would be rare if not unheard of.

PS: Jfk sounds as if he lives in New Orleans, lol.
Here is a link that shows the average temps for the different months in Vegas:
http://www.vegas.com/weather/averages.html

Vegas is number 1 in foreclosures housing prices have gone down 50% in some cases higher and few spots a little less.
Prices are at a all time low along with interest rates, unemployment is at 14.8% in Las Vegas.
There are buyers from all over the US and other countries purchasing properties in Vegas, allot of investors and second home owners. Multiple offers on properties $100,000 or less especially if the property is in a great location.

Buyers have seemed to back off some from purchasing right now, inventory is starting to go up some,most of the buyers are cash buyers so if you are a cash buyer you will have leverage over other buyers that have to purchase a property with a loan banks tend to like cash buyers since they don't usually get an appraisal and they can close sooner. Even if you are a cash buyer be prepared to compete with other cash buyers, I have seen as high as 40 offers on one property.

So you don't waist your time looking for a property, get with a lender before you even look, since banks have gotten tighter on their lending standards, buyers are having a harder time getting loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas