U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:33 AM

35 posts, read 106,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
try FlightAware > Mc Carran Intl Airport (Las Vegas, NV) [KLAS/LAS] Flight Tracker it will show you the flight activity at LAS. You can get the number of flights and information on any flight on a IFR flight plan from there. An interesting note - any flight designated in red is a lifeguard (air ambulance) flight.
thanks for this link, any information is appreciated to help figure out what's coming from where... noise in the 89108 has been awful, again presumably from Nellis. Light aircraft haven't really been too bothersome although they contribute to the mix, but it's the heavy aircraft that are the worst. I'm going to be in the area a few months helping a friend get moved in...and possibly OUT if this keeps up. Bummer start to 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 11:59 AM

15,756 posts, read 21,050,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyglick View Post
thanks for this link, any information is appreciated to help figure out what's coming from where... noise in the 89108 has been awful, again presumably from Nellis. Light aircraft haven't really been too bothersome although they contribute to the mix, but it's the heavy aircraft that are the worst. I'm going to be in the area a few months helping a friend get moved in...and possibly OUT if this keeps up. Bummer start to 2011.
You are not getting any noise from Nellis. Get a new theory...they don't get within miles of 89108 unless the airport is running contra...and then they would obviously be dart winged military jets which are easily identified. They run very few large aircraft out of Nellis which is a fighter training base.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:42 PM

613 posts, read 816,662 times
Quote:
try FlightAware > Mc Carran Intl Airport (Las Vegas, NV) [KLAS/LAS] Flight Tracker it will show you the flight activity at LAS. You can get the number of flights and information on any flight on a IFR flight plan from there. An interesting note - any flight designated in red is a lifeguard (air ambulance) flight.
Quote:
FYI, FlightAware does not track military aircraft.

FlightAware > Frequently Asked Questions

Old 12-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You are not getting any noise from Nellis. Get a new theory...they don't get within miles of 89108 unless the airport is running contra...and then they would obviously be dart winged military jets which are easily identified. They run very few large aircraft out of Nellis which is a fighter training base.
it's not "my" theory, I'm just trying to find out from people who live in the area what's up there and some have said Nellis while others have said McCarran. today I was able to see (no clouds) and what came over looked to me like regular commercial aircraft, with RED on the underside or so it appears... it seems like maybe Southwest airlines...directly overhead. The noise varies with the weather and what's flying....I don't understand how there can be such disparity among observers as to what's flying in their own community/city. This debate of "it's Nellis" vs. "no, it's not" and back and forth is frustrating, but I'm just trying to figure it out.

Re the link to the flight tracker website, I looked at it and indeed, they don't track military so it's not going to show where Nellis is flying if any of this indeed is Nellis. Today's noise wasn't as bad as usual....things are variable in 89108 depending....today's aircraft was large and went literally directly overhead. Several of the small aircraft from the Vegas airport were disgustingly noisy and low. Not sure how that's allowed or permitted!

Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 AM

369 posts, read 461,938 times
Quote:
it's not "my" theory, I'm just trying to find out from people who live in the area what's up there and some have said Nellis while others have said McCarran. today I was able to see (no clouds) and what came over looked to me like regular commercial aircraft, with RED on the underside or so it appears... it seems like maybe Southwest airlines...directly overhead. The noise varies with the weather and what's flying....I don't understand how there can be such disparity among observers as to what's flying in their own community/city. This debate of "it's Nellis" vs. "no, it's not" and back and forth is frustrating, but I'm just trying to figure it out.

Re the link to the flight tracker website, I looked at it and indeed, they don't track military so it's not going to show where Nellis is flying if any of this indeed is Nellis. Today's noise wasn't as bad as usual....things are variable in 89108 depending....today's aircraft was large and went literally directly overhead. Several of the small aircraft from the Vegas airport were disgustingly noisy and low. Not sure how that's allowed or permitted!

It's not Nellis or Creech. All Nellis traffic goes to the Nellis Range which is east of the 93 till well past Kyle canyon Road then east on the 95 north to near Tonopah.

Google Maps 89018 89108 - Google Maps

Nellis Range:
http://www.roswellproof.com/Nellis_Range_map.gif

The traffic pattern for Nellis must steer clear of the Class D controlled airspace around North Las Vegas Airport. So it can't come fr enough west to cross into 89108. You may get some Business Jets from Northtown or ome turboprops but no military. Metro PD aviation also has helicopters based at Northtown and Nevada Highway Patrol has a Cessna 182 or 206 there. But all Nellis traffic stays East of the class D.

Google maps McCarran (KLAS): McCarran Airport - Google Maps This will give you an idea of the runway layouts in relation to the streets.

Here is the airport diagram : http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1013/00662AD.PDF

Old 12-25-2010, 04:57 AM

8,819 posts, read 15,321,297 times
The past few days while out Christmas shopping, I've seen some mid-size corporate type jets landing and taking off at the NLV airport. And they can get quite loud while coming in for a landing. As well as taking off.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The past few days while out Christmas shopping, I've seen some mid-size corporate type jets landing and taking off at the NLV airport. And they can get quite loud while coming in for a landing. As well as taking off.
Thanks for that info PinkString...my pal was told only small aviation and helicopter used NLV airport...so if there's any mid size jets in and out of there, that was a misrepresentation right there from either the seller or the agents or both. Would be nice to know once and for all if Nellis figures into this at all....saw a lot of contrails in the air yesterday, really streaked up the sky...

Old 12-25-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
It's not Nellis or Creech. All Nellis traffic goes to the Nellis Range which is east of the 93 till well past Kyle canyon Road then east on the 95 north to near Tonopah.

Google Maps 89018 89108 - Google Maps

Nellis Range:
http://www.roswellproof.com/Nellis_Range_map.gif

The traffic pattern for Nellis must steer clear of the Class D controlled airspace around North Las Vegas Airport. So it can't come fr enough west to cross into 89108. You may get some Business Jets from Northtown or ome turboprops but no military. Metro PD aviation also has helicopters based at Northtown and Nevada Highway Patrol has a Cessna 182 or 206 there. But all Nellis traffic stays East of the class D.

Google maps McCarran (KLAS): McCarran Airport - Google Maps This will give you an idea of the runway layouts in relation to the streets.

Here is the airport diagram : http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1013/00662AD.PDF
thanks for this info...but it's interesting that questioniong of locals who live in the area or nearby (workmen, etc) have all said it's noise from Nellis. Do they not know their own area at all? lots and lots of conflicting information around.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:04 PM

15,379 posts, read 23,239,881 times
because the AF gets blamed for every little sound in the sky......

Jet Noise.....The SOUND OF FREEDOM

Old 12-25-2010, 12:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 21,050,060 times
Quote:
thanks for this info...but it's interesting that questioniong of locals who live in the area or nearby (workmen, etc) have all said it's noise from Nellis. Do they not know their own area at all? lots and lots of conflicting information around.
Sorry...I certainly live in the area and I never told you the traffic was from Nellis...

The traffic that is commonly reported in the north side of town is from Nellis but is military traffic and always back against the Sheep Range.

One complexing factor is that there are two departure path from NLV that do pass right over 89108. For one departure all runway departures turn west and then come out a vector to a spot at roughly Fort Apache and Washburn. They then turn right and fly back over NLV toward McCarran. For the other they turn southwest and then south east toward McCarran.

This however would pretty much be bad weather instrument departures so you would never see them...only hear them.

Note that the runways at NLV are 75 feet wide and 5000 feet long.So no heavy jets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas