Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,069 times

Advertisements

I have already heard plenty of talk about scorpions, crickets, roaches and bed bugs.

Are house centipedes, spiders and ants also a problem?

What else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
Spiders and ants. Ants are worse, but spiders eat them.
No centipedes yet. Only things that like to bug me are giant roaches, ants and spiders. Crickets are not a bother. The cats like to play with them. The crickets don't like that though. The spiders don't bug me much and they eat the ants.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
I have already heard plenty of talk about scorpions, crickets, roaches and bed bugs.

Are house centipedes, spiders and ants also a problem?

What else?
Without even knowing where you are from, I would bet that you have 100 times more bugs wherever you are than you'll ever be bothered by in Las Vegas.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:46 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
No centipedes yet. Only things that like to bug me are giant roaches, ants and spiders. Crickets are not a bother. The cats like to play with them. The crickets don't like that though. The spiders don't bug me much and they eat the ants.
LOL, my ferrets (one in particular) LOVE to play with Crickets when they get inside. As you mentioned, though, the crickets don't like it.

My DEW (Dark-Eyed White) ferret will bat at the cricket(s) with her paws, much like a kitten with a toy in front of them. Only problem is, she grows bored once they stop moving. I'm not sure if it's more predatory instinct or just plain having fun thinking they're a toy, but it means we get to dispose of the dead crickets. It's a small price to pay for the smile they put on our face every day.

Back to the OP's question - most of what I've seen so far is crickets, but that was last year - not as many this year. Occasionally we find a cockroach or spider. Last year, we had problems with flies a couple times, but that was when my girlfriend got lazy & left stinky meat scraps & fat in the kitchen trash under the sink or in the disposal - reeked like H-E-doublehockeysticks. No problems since we started double-bagging that stuff. On rare occasions we've found small black chigger/gnat type things (get through window screens I think). We've had one silverfish & two earwigs in two years. No sign of any scorpions whatsoever. Overall, we don't see many bugs inside, but I spray the inner & outer perimeter of the house a few times per year. As a result, we may have a below average number of insects, I dunno.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:09 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
I forgot about those darn gnats! I think it's virtually impossible to buy any potting soil that doesn't have those in it. I really want to re-pot my aloe vera plant, bought the "new" planter at a yard sale but afraid to buy the soil because of those gnats. They are easily the most annoying besides ants. And the giant roaches are less annoying than them if you can believe it.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Spiders and ants. Ants are worse, but spiders eat them.
The problem with crickets besides annoying noise if inside, is that scorpions eat them. If you have crickets, then scorpions may follow.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:42 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,206 times
These are the common ones: ants, crickets, earwigs, roaches, silverfish, spiders, scorpions, rats, mice, and pigeons.

These are the un-common, seen but not an every day occurrence: bed bugs, centipedes, weevils, flour beetles, common beetles, carpet beetles, cinch bugs (like gnats), and termites.

I think I got most of them.

Weird, but every year we get something new, that we have to figure out. But you have to remember, that we have a lot of people that move from differant areas of World. Some of the insects that they bring may not survive in our climate and some can survive only in the home.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,365 times
Quote:
I forgot about those darn gnats! I think it's virtually impossible to buy any potting soil that doesn't have those in it. I really want to re-pot my aloe vera plant, bought the "new" planter at a yard sale but afraid to buy the soil because of those gnats. They are easily the most annoying besides ants. And the giant roaches are less annoying than them if you can believe it.
How do you get rid of those gnats? My plants got them last year after I re-potted (apparently with infested Miracle-Gro potting soil from Home Depot). I then had to re-pot several times with good soil, and they seem to be gone, but they'll probably come back. Is there a spray of some sort that'll do the job?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 AM

Bake your potting soil in a glass lasagna pan covered with aluminum foil until the soil is at a temperature of about 180 degrees for 30 minutes. Use a thermometer to make sure it's hot enough, but still stays below 200 degrees where it will ruin the soil and make it toxic for the plants.
This will easily kill all the bugs and eggs in the soil.

You have to have open windows near the oven to do this because the baking soil will fill the house with a bad smell.

If you can let your existing plant soil get completely dry without killing the plants, the gnats will die also.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
... These are the un-common, seen but not an every day occurrence: ... termites...
Bugbully, Someone told me that unlike California, termites are not a problem here because of the climate - its too dry for them. I'm not sure if they meant subterranean or dry-wood.

How common are wood-destroying pests such as termites here in Las Vegas? Should I get my house inspected periodically for termites (of course, in California, termites are endemic & houses are routinely treated for termites).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: