Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,679 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Vegas in a week. I just called Cox to see what offers they have, and they're terrible! I got quoted $46/mo for the 13mbps internet plus $56/mo for the reasonable (70 channel) cable TV service. There was no bundling discount, and I was told there are no intro offers available. I told her I was probably going to go with DirectTV, and she didn't budge.

Paying over $100/mo for their one-notch-up-from-bottom cable+internet services is not ok. I've paid $60/mo everywhere else I've lived recently (NJ, RI, NC, CT, NYC) for similar service.

Is Cox just that freakin' expensive? Guess it really is time to call DirectTV...

Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
cox is only expensive if yo uHAVE them....if you dont have them you'll pay any price......they're the only REAL game in town.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
I'll be in Vegas in a week. I just called Cox to see what offers they have, and they're terrible! I got quoted $46/mo for the 13mbps internet plus $56/mo for the reasonable (70 channel) cable TV service. There was no bundling discount, and I was told there are no intro offers available. I told her I was probably going to go with DirectTV, and she didn't budge.

Paying over $100/mo for their one-notch-up-from-bottom cable+internet services is not ok. I've paid $60/mo everywhere else I've lived recently (NJ, RI, NC, CT, NYC) for similar service.

Is Cox just that freakin' expensive? Guess it really is time to call DirectTV...
Cox recently raised their prices. I will tell you that the basic cable for $56 will look like crap, especially if you have a HDTV like me. You need to get a DVR box with an HDMI output. My Cox bill is $91 a month for digital cable alone. Luckily, my apartment pays for basic cable so I only have to come up with $34 of it myself.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Your on the west coast now. Cox price in Clark County is pretty resonable compated to what others are paying for Cox ,Comcast and AT&T in WA, OR. CA, AZ, UT

They do reduce the rates if you enter into a contract and prepay months ahead. I pay $142 a month out the door for full digital package with all the movie channels. HD DVR service and 1 cable card access. Middle Tier internet and basic phone service. I entered into a 3 year contract and prepay one year at a time. Going month to month would cost me $222 out the door.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post

They do reduce the rates if you enter into a contract and prepay months ahead.
Ok, thanks, that's good to know. I'll see what they say about that.

I called CenturyLink (Embarq) for DSL info - they quoted me $39.95 for 3mbps/684kbps. Not good. Cox was just a few bucks more for 13mbps/1mbps, which is a obviously much better. Looks like I'll have to go with Cox for internet at least. Verizon and ATT both said they do not offer DSL in Vegas.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
We saved a little packaging cable, internet, and phone.

We have basic cable (not digital), mid tier internet (13mb), and basic phone (no call waiting, cid, etc.) w/ .05 LD (we use google voice for LD anyways) and it is $110/mo with tax. That includes a $10/month bundling discount.

The whole package used to be advertised as $99/month plus tax for all three which used to work out to around $105/month, but they raised prices this year. Pretty much expect they'll be raising prices every year.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 34,644 times
Just moved here...for mine, I went with:

DirecTV -- three HD boxes, whole-home DVR, choice ultimate, HBO...costs me 76 bucks a month 1st year, 90-something my second year (2 yr contract)
Cox Cable - 60 a month for 20 megabit down, 1.5 megabit up.
Phone - don't have/want one; I use my cell.

I work from home, so my Internet has to be completely reliable (and its partially a biz expense). Cox cable is the best, most reliable option although you don't necessarily need the high tier like I went with.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer22 View Post
Just moved here...for mine, I went with:

DirecTV -- three HD boxes, whole-home DVR, choice ultimate, HBO...costs me 76 bucks a month 1st year, 90-something my second year (2 yr contract)
Cox Cable - 60 a month for 20 megabit down, 1.5 megabit up.
Phone - don't have/want one; I use my cell.

I work from home, so my Internet has to be completely reliable (and its partially a biz expense). Cox cable is the best, most reliable option although you don't necessarily need the high tier like I went with.
Residential cable internet will not be up 24/7/365. If you cannot afford to not to have internet for a few hours every once in a while while they fix an outage or do maintenance, you should have a backup connection like a MIFI or a smartphone you can tether to a computer.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I agree we are charged too much. Way too much. But I haven't been able to find a better alternative. I got rid of cable and only have internet now but still, $47 per month is a lot.

I bought a digital antenna, hoping I could get by with that. All I wanted was the basic local stations. But I can't get even ONE of them. So that doesn't necessarily work either.

I will probably get Dish or Direct TV eventually. They seem to be a better value than Cox.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:06 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I agree we are charged too much. Way too much. But I haven't been able to find a better alternative. I got rid of cable and only have internet now but still, $47 per month is a lot.

I bought a digital antenna, hoping I could get by with that. All I wanted was the basic local stations. But I can't get even ONE of them. So that doesn't necessarily work either.

I will probably get Dish or Direct TV eventually. They seem to be a better value than Cox.
Probably a bad antenna if you can't even get a few stations.
You do not need a "digital" antenna. You need a good VHF antenna for most local stations or a combination VHF/UHF to pick up some of the rest. You also need a digital TV or a converter box for an older TV.
If you can't get any tv signals at all because you are located under the shadow of a mountain, then you can sign up for the $16 starter economy package for local stations.

Last edited by sdreloc; 10-20-2010 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: