Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

There are good views from the I-215 beltway on the west side of town, also, as long as you're on Sunrise Mountain, take just about any of the N-S streets off of Lake Mead Blvd, such as Hollywood BL, go south, and you should see all kinds of good locations. Then there is always the top of the Stratosphere where you can see the entire Valley, and are a lot closer to the lights, especially of the Strip. The challenge there is getting the camera high enough to shoot without having the safety rail block part of the shot. And on the north side they have rides which have spoiled the view in that direction unless you go to the floor below that is glassed in.

BTW: It's Red ROCK Canyon here. Red ROCKS is in AZ, and I think maybe CO and CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:10 PM

89 posts, read 232,768 times
VooDoo Lounge on top of the Rio is my favorite view of the Strip. You'll have to pay a cover to get up there, but the view is unbeatable and it's outdoor and unobstructed.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Thanks, folks! I never did make it to Frenchman's Mountain. It seems you cannot get there from the southern end toward Lake Mead as the road is closed off by a couple of mining operations. I wasted too much time figuring that out and was running low on time, so I had to punt. Instead, I found a spot similar to what Buzz123 (thanks for the Red Rock correction, btw) described on Lake Mead Blvd, just outside of town, where it starts to gain elevation before it gets into the mountains.

Here's the spot during the day. I did my shoot in the evening with the lights of the city turned on, and it was pretty cool!

Old 11-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Thanks, folks! I never did make it to Frenchman's Mountain. It seems you cannot get there from the southern end toward Lake Mead as the road is closed off by a couple of mining operations. I wasted too much time figuring that out and was running low on time, so I had to punt. Instead, I found a spot similar to what Buzz123 (thanks for the Red Rock correction, btw) described on Lake Mead Blvd, just outside of town, where it starts to gain elevation before it gets into the mountains.

Here's the spot during the day. I did my shoot in the evening with the lights of the city turned on, and it was pretty cool!
If you enjoyed that, here's another one: It's FrenchMAN Mountain, not FrenchMAN'S. We don't believe in wasting letters here. Ha. Most of us just lump it all under the name "Sunrise" Mountain, but that ain't technically correct.

Good shot. I hope you post the night time one too.

Ask me how I know about that place, huh? Go ahead, ask me. OK, I'll tell ya. Back before there was ever anything at all built up there, people used to dump their garbage all along the foot of the mountain. Some people went there to shoot rats. But there were nice places along there too to look at the lights, so some of us went at night with a young lady to do some parkin 'n sparkin, sonny. Yesser, we wuz ornery fellers in these parts. Cops did a lot of bush whackin though, so you'd better make sure she was of sparkin' age.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:36 PM

Man, ya'll are a picky bunch up in Nevada. The night shots all have pictures of my client in them. Like an idiot, I didn't get one shot of the lights without him. The pics are to use on his next CD. He's a blind musician so he'll never see them. That's the best kind of client -- no complaints that way.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Well, if he'll never see your post....

But when the CD comes out maybe you can come back and post a shot of the cover.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:44 PM

Ok, here's a shot.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Very nice. I like the twilight effect.

Another place where you can do similar though the exact opposite on the Sun is the top social center in Sun City. Take Lake Mead up to Thomas Ryan a block from 215. Then TRyan to the south one blockto Grand Cypress turn right... turn left into the community center and park toward the south east corner. Walk around a bit and you will find a lot of public areas with very nice strip and city views. YOu can get some what of the same effect there by going for dawn...Note that the baloons rise from Lone Mountain next to that area at dawn...some nice pictures there.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:14 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

ok a stupid question.. is this East or West of the Strip.... 215 to Lake Mead then West?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:24 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Very nice. I like the twilight effect.

Another place where you can do similar though the exact opposite on the Sun is the top social center in Sun City. Take Lake Mead up to Thomas Ryan a block from 215. Then TRyan to the south one blockto Grand Cypress turn right... turn left into the community center and park toward the south east corner. Walk around a bit and you will find a lot of public areas with very nice strip and city views. YOu can get some what of the same effect there by going for dawn...Note that the baloons rise from Lone Mountain next to that area at dawn...some nice pictures there.
I'll add another area in Sun City. Go up to Highland Falls Golf Club and you'll be able to get some good shots from the parking lot.

I've taken some nice shots from the 14th and 15th tee box which look right out at the Strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas