Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times

Advertisements

Anyone interested in the subject should check out this site...

Home Warranty - Reviews, Price Comparison, Buyers Guide, Company Ratings | American Home Warranty, Old Republic Home Warranties Quotes

It indicates that virtually all available around here have the same problem...

They are terrible on the servicing end.

That has been my personal experience as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 01:18 PM

207 posts, read 509,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

You got me curious...A quick check on reviews shows a fascinating pattern.

American Home Guardian | Home Warranty Reviews

Check the reviews..

Note that there are clearly two kinds of reviews...terrible and fantastic. Earmark of an outfit spiking its own ratings...and not very cleverly.

Combined with a terrible BBB rating I would swiftly find a company with a better rep than this out fit. Smells borderline scam.
Even here on this forum we are hearing the same two kinds of extremes in reviews - 007 and heyygirl as recent examples just on this page. I'm comfortable with the choice and not worried about it. If and when I ever have a claim myself I'll be happy to update with my experience.

I am however also curious as several posters here mention good or bad experiences and do not mention the name of the company they are using. 007, heyygirl as recent examples again along with yourself. Makes it pretty hard for someone reading this to make any sort of a decision.

I asked you in an earlier post what company you are using. Would you care to share that information or is there some reason you don't want to share their name? Did you switch from what you consider a bad company to a good one? What were the names of the companies? Is there a home warranty company that you like now?

You've had a lot of negatives to express including negatives related to companies you haven't dealt with, but you haven't had any positive information to share with us. You clearly have a lot more experience with home warranty companies and claims than I do and I'd certainly appreciate the names of the companies you've used, particularly the good ones.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:34 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,764 times
We have Old Republic, and have used them 3 times. I have been happy with them so far. Once was for a garbage disposal and twice for our pool pumps. Very easy to set up a service call, I do everthing on their website.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
We have Old Republic, and have used them 3 times. I have been happy with them so far. Once was for a garbage disposal and twice for our pool pumps. Very easy to set up a service call, I do everthing on their website.
I've been pleasantly surprised with Old Republic as well. I had never had a home warranty in the past and had heard nothing but horror stories from those who did. However, the previous owner of our house had paid the $595 for the warranty as part of the real estate deal, so we decided to avail ourselves of its services when necessary.

We've called Old Republic several times already for both plumbing and HVAC issues. We've had two of our three 20-year-old a/c units repaired and each time it only cost a $55 service charge. Both times the firm that came out was punctual, pleasant and appeared competent.

We also had a toilet repaired and then completely replaced. Once again, the only charge was $55.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfapps View Post
Even here on this forum we are hearing the same two kinds of extremes in reviews - 007 and heyygirl as recent examples just on this page. I'm comfortable with the choice and not worried about it. If and when I ever have a claim myself I'll be happy to update with my experience.

I am however also curious as several posters here mention good or bad experiences and do not mention the name of the company they are using. 007, heyygirl as recent examples again along with yourself. Makes it pretty hard for someone reading this to make any sort of a decision.

I asked you in an earlier post what company you are using. Would you care to share that information or is there some reason you don't want to share their name? Did you switch from what you consider a bad company to a good one? What were the names of the companies? Is there a home warranty company that you like now?

You've had a lot of negatives to express including negatives related to companies you haven't dealt with, but you haven't had any positive information to share with us. You clearly have a lot more experience with home warranty companies and claims than I do and I'd certainly appreciate the names of the companies you've used, particularly the good ones.
Actually I think I have shared that before. It is certainly no secret with me. I started out with AHS and moved to HSA over the AHS performance. I however have not found HSA any better. Both use similar low bidder repair contractors and various avoldance schemes. Annual maintenance on your AC units for instance is often a requirement even if not specifically stated.

I have been involved in another dozen or so incidents where my clients bought or sold property where a repair got to be an issue. One very messy one involved Old Republic who looked to me much the same as the two I used. That is however the only experience I have had with OR.

I stick with HSA primarily because I have some pull especially with respect to clients. I can get at the HSA sales rep very easily and chew a new orifice at a public meeting if I don't get satisfaction. And they take pretty good care of me personally if I escalate.

So personally I don't believe there is anyone in the industry who is any good...though I would very much like to find one. I also feel comfortable enough with the way things work that I still use them. But I would never bother having them do a simple fix even if I did not mind paying the fee. It is never that simple.

I think we may have hit the jackpot this year even without an AC failure. I suspect we will get to 5X the annual fee in replaced equipment. I expect though it will all turn out to be DIY.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:19 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,764 times
I had worked for an AC company for a couple of months, before we started our biz. We dealt with a couple of the warrantiy companies. Some of them told me that it depends on the average ticket on who gets the call first. So whoever has the lowest average tickets got the job, and then they go down the line depending on how busy that particular company was.

We had done a couple of jobs with Old Republic and they actually provided the unit to the ac company, and then there were non-covered costs with the replacement depending on what type of unit it was. Average was $400.00 to $1500.00. Which to me is a lot better then if you buy the unit out right with no warranty.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually I think I have shared that before. It is certainly no secret with me. I started out with AHS and moved to HSA over the AHS performance. I however have not found HSA any better. Both use similar low bidder repair contractors and various avoldance schemes. Annual maintenance on your AC units for instance is often a requirement even if not specifically stated.

I have been involved in another dozen or so incidents where my clients bought or sold property where a repair got to be an issue. One very messy one involved Old Republic who looked to me much the same as the two I used. That is however the only experience I have had with OR.

I stick with HSA primarily because I have some pull especially with respect to clients. I can get at the HSA sales rep very easily and chew a new orifice at a public meeting if I don't get satisfaction. And they take pretty good care of me personally if I escalate.

So personally I don't believe there is anyone in the industry who is any good...though I would very much like to find one. I also feel comfortable enough with the way things work that I still use them. But I would never bother having them do a simple fix even if I did not mind paying the fee. It is never that simple.

I think we may have hit the jackpot this year even without an AC failure. I suspect we will get to 5X the annual fee in replaced equipment. I expect though it will all turn out to be DIY.
I hear you. You're probably right that there isn't any one great company. Some people have great experiences with the same company others have bad experiences with. During a casual chat with the insurance agent his opinion was to avoid AHS, but thought AHG was a good choice. A realtor I spoke with thought Old Republic was good and although they've got a couple of good reviews here, you mentioned one of your worst experiences with them. I've heard both good and bad about them, but they have a great BBB rating.

We got the AHG warranty covered by the seller so it didn't cost us, and the house is in such good shape and is well less than 10 yrs old so I doubt we'll have any issues in the first year but who knows. I'm like you in that I'm inclined to take care of most things myself but if something larger/more expensive needs replacing we'll put in a claim and see if they come through for us.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM

OK so I promised to update if I ever used the AHG home warranty. I recently made a service call and was very pleased with them. Called because 2 burners on a gas stove would not ignite. Got a scheduling call within 2 hours after the request, and the repair man was out the next day before 2pm. Fixed everything, was very professional and courteous. I found the response time to be very good. That's it so far, this was by no means a major repair but I'm pleased with the level of service on this call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfapps View Post
I hear you. You're probably right that there isn't any one great company. Some people have great experiences with the same company others have bad experiences with. During a casual chat with the insurance agent his opinion was to avoid AHS, but thought AHG was a good choice. A realtor I spoke with thought Old Republic was good and although they've got a couple of good reviews here, you mentioned one of your worst experiences with them. I've heard both good and bad about them, but they have a great BBB rating.

We got the AHG warranty covered by the seller so it didn't cost us, and the house is in such good shape and is well less than 10 yrs old so I doubt we'll have any issues in the first year but who knows. I'm like you in that I'm inclined to take care of most things myself but if something larger/more expensive needs replacing we'll put in a claim and see if they come through for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas