U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,541,866 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else get a notice a few months before the NVEnergy smart meter notice that if you paid for your new smart meter now you could save $150 (or something like that)? I figured it was a scam and disregarded it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 PM

622 posts, read 975,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
We had the smart meter installed about 3 months ago. A NV Energy guy rang our doorbell, identified himself (I saw the truck across the street as well) and stated that, (not verbatim but you'll get the gist)

"I'm here to install the Smart Meter on the house, you'll be inconvenienced with no electricity for about 3 minutes while it's being installed, so if you need to shut something off that would be affected by a sudden power outage, please do so now."

He never asked me if I was the homeowner or a renter, when Mr. MomMom asked if we HAD to have this meter, the guy said "you have no choice, everybody that NV Energy services here in the valley will be getting them"
When they came by to install ours, I refused installation. The installer was surprisingly understanding & said he understood where I was coming from but couldn't say so on the record (obviously, since it's his job). Our existing meter isn't even 3 years old & works just fine.

We didn't get heavily into details; my refusal was mostly due to not wanting extensive radio/RF waves along with EM radiation. (Many people may not realize you basically have a radio transmitter on the side of your house with the smart meter.) I understand opinions of the severity of this will vary widely here, but given the history of cancer in my fiancee's family we don't want to risk anything. The 'big brother' aspect of NV energy being able to monitor whatever we do & possibly sell information about us is a secondary concern.

So far we haven't had any additional fallout, but I'm sure at some point NV Energy will make another push. Perhaps they're waiting to see what comes out of this round of meetings and/or protests. Up until now I've been a model customer (in case that matters).

Old 12-09-2011, 01:17 PM

959 posts, read 1,116,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
When they came by to install ours, I refused installation. The installer was surprisingly understanding & said he understood where I was coming from but couldn't say so on the record (obviously, since it's his job). Our existing meter isn't even 3 years old & works just fine.

We didn't get heavily into details; my refusal was mostly due to not wanting extensive radio/RF waves along with EM radiation. (Many people may not realize you basically have a radio transmitter on the side of your house with the smart meter.) I understand opinions of the severity of this will vary widely here, but given the history of cancer in my fiancee's family we don't want to risk anything. The 'big brother' aspect of NV energy being able to monitor whatever we do & possibly sell information about us is a secondary concern.

So far we haven't had any additional fallout, but I'm sure at some point NV Energy will make another push. Perhaps they're waiting to see what comes out of this round of meetings and/or protests. Up until now I've been a model customer (in case that matters).
Eventually, they will cut off your electricity. There are no health or privacy concerns with smart meters.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:39 PM

137 posts, read 176,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Eventually, they will cut off your electricity. There are no health or privacy concerns with smart meters.
Not according to FEDERAL LAW. They can't.

As for privacy and health concerns, give it some time, you'll be surprised.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinotGuy View Post
Not according to FEDERAL LAW. They can't.

As for privacy and health concerns, give it some time, you'll be surprised.
What FEDERAL LAW is that?

I doubt that I will be surprised. The data is encrypted and who in the blazes cares about a person's electricity use? As for the health concerns, people are all over the place walking around with a radio transmitter glued to one of their ears. A little radio transmitter on the side of a house is nothing.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 PM

152 posts, read 279,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Granted the above photo was a "smart meter" install in San Francisco. NV Energy may use different "lowest bidder" equipment than San Francisco, but even when I have a new motor installed on my pool, I check it out and would have liked to on the Smart meter.

Hey Danknee, you are quite knowledgeable about the Smart meter are you in the industry? Just asking. Sounds like you watched your install of the meter at the very least.
From having looked at a very large number of things that caught fire I would suggest that meter was not the source. It is melted...not burnt. It was in a fire but not likely the source of combustion.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:49 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,060,149 times
Quote:

I doubt that I will be surprised. The data is encrypted and who in the blazes cares about a person's electricity use? As for the health concerns, people are all over the place walking around with a radio transmitter glued to one of their ears. A little radio transmitter on the side of a house is nothing.
Highly doubt any of those in a panic over smart meters are familiar with the inverse square law. Two watts at sixty feet (at a low duty cycle to boot) vs. half a watt at one inch. You decide. Hope you gave up your wireless router, cell phone, microwave oven, and cordless phones too. Not to mention encasing your home in a Faraday cage to protect you from all those emissions from your neighbor's house.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Have no idea what's up with your thinking, unless you work for the power company and/or have been brainwashed by them.

See here: SMART METERS: No Federal Mandate The PPJ Gazette

NOWHERE does the LAW give any PUC or utility company the mandate to replace your meter. It does not allow such action by them WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT AND ASKING THEM FOR IT. If you want specific FEDERAL LAW that talks about smart meters I will pull it for you, but stop acting like you can't read nor comprehend what you're reading. Or rather, start reading to begin with.

PUC/utility co have absolutely no pull over a FEDERAL LAW. Never have and never will. Last time I checked.

As long as I am paying for electricity delivered to my house and my meter allows them to bill me for it as well as I am current on my bill, there is simply no way in hell a utility can simply shut off delivery to my house without me asking for it explicitly. Even liberal lawyers will be banging on your door for a chance of a lifetime.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinotGuy View Post
Have no idea what's up with your thinking, unless you work for the power company and/or have been brainwashed by them.

See here: SMART METERS: No Federal Mandate The PPJ Gazette

NOWHERE does the LAW give any PUC or utility company the mandate to replace your meter. It does not allow such action by them WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT AND ASKING THEM FOR IT. If you want specific FEDERAL LAW that talks about smart meters I will pull it for you, but stop acting like you can't read nor comprehend what you're reading. Or rather, start reading to begin with.

PUC/utility co have absolutely no pull over a FEDERAL LAW. Never have and never will. Last time I checked.

As long as I am paying for electricity delivered to my house and my meter allows them to bill me for it as well as I am current on my bill, there is simply no way in hell a utility can simply shut off delivery to my house without me asking for it explicitly. Even liberal lawyers will be banging on your door for a chance of a lifetime.
I don't work for a utility company nor have I been brainwashed by them. Seems to me that you have been brainwashed by some folks who have some irrational beliefs. The world health link that the PPJ Gazette claimed showed that smart meters were a health hazard is bogus. The article was about the POSSIBLE health risk of using mobile telephones, not from smart meters.

The reality is that the electric company provides the meter which measures electricity use. The utility is regulated by a government agency which approves their actions. Clearly, for the utility to provide the best possible service it has to able to determine what kind of meter is best for ALL of its customers. The smart meter is more cost effective than the old meters that require an employee to read the meter monthly. It saves money. Really would not make any sense to have two different types of meters, especially since there is no RATIONAL REASON NOT TO SWITCH TO THE SMART METER.

No liberal lawyer is going to take a case that he or she is going to lose.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
I don't work for a utility company nor have I been brainwashed by them. Seems to me that you have been brainwashed by some folks who have some irrational beliefs. The world health link that the PPJ Gazette claimed showed that smart meters were a health hazard is bogus. The article was about the POSSIBLE health risk of using mobile telephones, not from smart meters.

The reality is that the electric company provides the meter which measures electricity use. The utility is regulated by a government agency which approves their actions. Clearly, for the utility to provide the best possible service it has to able to determine what kind of meter is best for ALL of its customers. The smart meter is more cost effective than the old meters that require an employee to read the meter monthly. It saves money. Really would not make any sense to have two different types of meters, especially since there is no RATIONAL REASON NOT TO SWITCH TO THE SMART METER.

No liberal lawyer is going to take a case that he or she is going to lose.
It does? Do you see anyone paying less after these meters are installed? Did your bill go down? What a crock of stupidity and listening to some propaganda. The only way our bills are going to go is UP and nothing but UP.

Perhaps you missed my prior post about me working on this "green job BS" at PG&E, the progenitor of all this stupidity and a "let's stick it some more to the customers" scheme. You proved your reading apprehension disability once more.

Please show me a LAW that allows utility co to forcefully replace a perfectly working meter without your approval. PUC does not make laws, state legislative bodies bodies do, PUC is not one of them, it s a COMMISSION. FEDERAL LAW clearly spells out that replacement of meters is only permissible via customer request and consent. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas