Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM

180 posts, read 390,359 times

Advertisements

We have one installed in our vacation condo and it allows us to look at the usage every 15 mins. We are able to see that the lights on timers and coming on everyday like they should. We are looking forward to seeing how much it goes up once we are there and the ac is turned back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 PM

901 posts, read 1,892,773 times
There's another thread in the P and OC forum discussing this, and I'm a little surprised it didn't get some attention here.

Quote:
On August 6th, at about 10:30am, three men from Nevada Energy, armed with guns, arrived unannounced on her property, removed the analog meter from the socket, took her analog meter as well as the unauthorized smart meter she had removed, and left her living without electricity. One of the men identified himself as an investigator with the company and said that he was investigating her for “criminal tampering.”
Smart Meter or NO Power at All? Nevada Energy Sends Three Armed Men to Disconnect Power- Just for

Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
There's another thread in the P and OC forum discussing this, and I'm a little surprised it didn't get some attention here.

Smart Meter or NO Power at All? Nevada Energy Sends Three Armed Men to Disconnect Power- Just for
I have followed that story a bit. The lady is on Mt. Charleston I believe. She is a local RE Agent.

The story does not quite compute.

I am skeptical and would point out the meter she owns is alleged to have been stolen. But no police or police report?

Too bad she did not have a shotgun. Would have been an even better story. Note that NV Energy could simply cut her off at the pole...they really did not need to enter her property. I am somewhat surprised they did if it is as put forth in the various sources. Then again virtually all sources are partisan on the issue.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:53 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,941,348 times
That story was released by the tin-foil hat crowd on a tin-foil hat website.

Mona has a unique name. There's only one of her in the US. And the only story about her and armed thugs from the power company comes from the tin-foil hat website. The RJ and the Sun would be all over this if it was true. Even the Weekly or Seven would break this story.

The Men in Black have apparently lost their jobs at Area 51, and now work for NVEnergy.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,302,145 times
A few things are hard to swallow from that "article":
  • She got a doctor's note addressed to NV Energy that discussed EMF and the doctor managed to link it to her Smart Meter? EMF hypochondriacs would need to isolate themselves in a cabin with no electricity; cell phones, microwaves, routers, repeaters, and all wifi devices eclipse the EMF exposure from a Smart Meter.
    • Someone truly "EMF hypersensitive" would need to be precluded from society and the public, not just one device.
  • NV Energy employees carry guns?
  • The article confirms that she tampered with NV Energy equipment...she pried their meter off her house and replaced it a meter that would never be read. Where do you find an electrician that would be dense enough to do that?
    • I've had my meter pulled once; the electrician had to call NV Energy before working to get them to pop the locked ring, later NV Energy secured the meter again and attached a tamper seal to it. This is how real electricians operate.
    • She is "even thinking for a time about allowing a smart meter back on her home". Sounds like NV Energy offered to replace the random meter she bought with the current NV Energy equipment and she refused. She is without power because she refuses to allow sanctioned power company equipment on her house to monitor her usage.
  • Lastly I want to second what Scoop points out: stopsmartmeters.org is the most official way this story is being reported?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 AM

843 posts, read 2,209,742 times
I really hate it when the whack jobs jump onto something and turn it into a joke. There are many legitimate problems with smart meters related to privacy and security. Then these idiots get involved and all complaints about 'smart meters' are automatically disregarded.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 AM

646 posts, read 1,151,820 times
Exactly my thought, braindead0. There's plenty that's not so good about electro-magnetic frequencies (for example).

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
Exactly my thought, braindead0. There's plenty that's not so good about electro-magnetic frequencies (for example).
Perhaps, however I'm not at all worried about that. I'm much more concerned about the security of the data and why in the world do they even need the level of details about my electric usage.

Couple that with the fact that they are effectively a monopoly and you have the government forcing you to divulge personal details about your life that nobody has any business knowing (when you get up, when you're not at home among other things can easily be figured out by energy usage at the level of detail they have).

And I certainly don't trust NVEnergy to secure my data at all. They still use SSN's as customer numbers and the SSN's are accessible to their public web servers. This is counter to industry standards and a HUGE security risk. NVEnergy is basically a one stop ID theft system and they don't care because you have no choice.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,740,852 times
I would think the detail is needed to allow time of day billing - an obvious and, in many ways, desirable system. That requires that they can manage the timing of usage with some precision. I would think making it available to the user is more of a PR gimmick. Many people like it.

Time of day billing is likely to be the system that enables solar PV. It is the peak usage that can easily be replaced and that is generally expensive power.

I would think the only easy way to access that data is at the NV Energy internet connection. That is a security thing that is always dangerous and at which NV Energy may not be much good.

I doubt these boxes add a lot to the EM spectrum in a home. Certain less than a router.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I would think the detail is needed to allow time of day billing - an obvious and, in many ways, desirable system. That requires that they can manage the timing of usage with some precision. I would think making it available to the user is more of a PR gimmick. Many people like it.

Time of day billing is likely to be the system that enables solar PV. It is the peak usage that can easily be replaced and that is generally expensive power.

I would think the only easy way to access that data is at the NV Energy internet connection. That is a security thing that is always dangerous and at which NV Energy may not be much good.

I doubt these boxes add a lot to the EM spectrum in a home. Certain less than a router.
The 15 minute increment is only what they claim. Many 'smart' meters have been found to be storing and transmitting data in 5 second increments, which is what I'd call excessive. Many utilities have been caught doing this, not sure about NV Energy.

Couple that with the time of day billing being optional doesn't justify forcing these on everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas