Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 01:38 PM

351 posts, read 836,907 times

Advertisements

or is there almost nothing being added to the MLS lately? Everything I see is way overpriced or a really old listing. When will there be a nice selection of homes again? Here I sit ready to buy a nice condo which I'll live in for a long time & I can't find anything. Thank you for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 PM

207 posts, read 509,463 times
Not an expert, but I think things slow down every year about this time.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
A lot of sellers have realized that they are NOT going to sell the house this year and they do not want a lot of buyer traipsing through during the Christmas season.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:32 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
There's plenty of for sale signs in my condo/townhome community. Whether they are listed in the mls, i haven't a clue.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Lots of shennanegins going on in the RE market currently. Investors make up a HUGE portion of the purchasing going on at the moment. Its gonna take a while for that all to shake out. Basically, investment groups are buying up large amounts of inventory before it ever hits mls. This only occurs because of lack of faith in other forms of investment combined with minimal to nonexistant bank interest rates.

Once interest rates begin to rise, money will flow away from RE investments. This will signal the time to go buy a house. Very few people will have the needed downpayment.

Patience is kinda rewarded right now. Desperate to buy is the kiss of death at the moment.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:13 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Lots of shennanegins going on in the RE market currently. Investors make up a HUGE portion of the purchasing going on at the moment. Its gonna take a while for that all to shake out. Basically, investment groups are buying up large amounts of inventory before it ever hits mls. This only occurs because of lack of faith in other forms of investment combined with minimal to nonexistant bank interest rates.

Once interest rates begin to rise, money will flow away from RE investments. This will signal the time to go buy a house. Very few people will have the needed downpayment.

Patience is kinda rewarded right now. Desperate to buy is the kiss of death at the moment.
Market appears relatively robust. Should equal or exceed last months volumes...

Prices will be up sligthly. Most interesting thing is that prices of REOs are clearly down by 4 or 5%.

Been around 2000 SFR homes that went trustee sale in the last 60 days. Around 1500 went to the plain old banks. Some percent of the rest appear to be getting picked up at trustee sales. But it is not shaking the market under 10% of what is selling.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Market appears relatively robust. Should equal or exceed last months volumes...

Prices will be up sligthly. Most interesting thing is that prices of REOs are clearly down by 4 or 5%.

Been around 2000 SFR homes that went trustee sale in the last 60 days. Around 1500 went to the plain old banks. Some percent of the rest appear to be getting picked up at trustee sales. But it is not shaking the market under 10% of what is selling.

Excuse me?

Are there not realtors out there who get listings, never put it on the mls, and call an investor friend to make the purchase?

Are there not real estate investment groups that are purchasing large groups of houses directly from the banks prior to any public listing, at a percentage of what the public would finally pay?

Is this not a majority of the homes currently being sold in the Las Vegas market?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Quote:
Excuse me?

Are there not realtors out there who get listings, never put it on the mls, and call an investor friend to make the purchase?
Possibly, probably, but I don't think it is THAT common. Sellers generally want public listings so they can get the best price for their house. If I call my investor friend and he jumps on the deal, chances are that is NOT the best price you could get and I'm not representing the seller fairly.

Quote:
Are there not real estate investment groups that are purchasing large groups of houses directly from the banks prior to any public listing, at a percentage of what the public would finally pay?
Pretty much the only place this happens is at trustee sale and YOU can buy it there. The public CAN buy there, there is no back door secret room stuff going on. Yes, they pay significantly less than the public, but assume some risk for that discount. Nothing is free in life.

All of this stuff can be audited due to recording requirements. If you buy a house via any mechanism then it must be recorded with the recorder and is on public record. Hard to have any real secret stuff going on when the end result is public info.

Quote:
Is this not a majority of the homes currently being sold in the Las Vegas market?
No, I'm pretty sure it is not the majority.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Excuse me?

There is always some hanky pank but it is not all that common. Note that these sellers are very sophisticated financially. It would be normal for them to receive a copy of the MLS listing in any sales package. Many will require some days of seasoning before accepting an offer.

There may be some "wholesale deals" but note that this is not a simple task. The banks first have to foreclose...then sell the property. Such transaction will show quite clearly in the tax system. And note that the banks have to bid high enough at the trustee sale to avoid external buyers. I see some substantial number of cases where small investors are buying five or six houses at the trustee sale and some of these may have bank connivance. But there is no evidence of large block sales to investment groups.

Last 60 days there were something like 5000 sales. 2000 were foreclosures. Of those over 1500 went to the bank. So the unclear were at about 500 or 250 per month. Interesting but not a big deal. Note that the 1000 per month foreclosed is actually less than are being sold on the MLS as REOs...so the banks, at the moment, are taking less houses into inventory as they are selling.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Possibly, probably, but I don't think it is THAT common. Sellers generally want public listings so they can get the best price for their house. If I call my investor friend and he jumps on the deal, chances are that is NOT the best price you could get and I'm not representing the seller fairly.

Pretty much the only place this happens is at trustee sale and YOU can buy it there. The public CAN buy there, there is no back door secret room stuff going on. Yes, they pay significantly less than the public, but assume some risk for that discount. Nothing is free in life.

All of this stuff can be audited due to recording requirements. If you buy a house via any mechanism then it must be recorded with the recorder and is on public record. Hard to have any real secret stuff going on when the end result is public info.

No, I'm pretty sure it is not the majority.
All agreed except I have seen a couple of transactions that were either hanky pank or incompetence. Somewhow certain outfits appear able to acquire trustee sale deals that are simply too good to be true and the bank involved had to know. This could all be one offs but I suspect a pattern is clear or will be. Then we see if anyone goes after the fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas