U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 PM
 
579 posts, read 368,925 times
Reputation: 371
I visited Deadwood SD this weekend which is where I lived before Las Vegas. A month ago the state passed a casino smoking ban. I went to the biggest party casino that would typically be wall to wall people and it was almost completely deserted. I went to several of the biggest casinos. There were very few people playing. It looked like 11pm on a Tuesday night, not 8pm on a Friday.

I talked to several of my Deadwood friends and they all stated the same thing. "The smoking ban is going to cause layoffs and maybe even force some places to close. It has been empty ever since the ban passed."

Their video lottery is down 25%:

Smoking ban, credit card reform among state budget hits

The state gets half of the net win in their statewide video poker industry. It's funny all of the people that voted smoking out don't go to these places anyway. Now entire industries are devastated and people will lose their jobs. On top of that taxes will almost certainly have to go up to cover the loss of tax from video lottery and Deadwood.

This story played out in every state that has banned smoking in casinos. I don't understand how anyone can deny this. The federal reserve and every state that has banned smoking has had the same results, a devastated gaming industry. That is why so many states with blanket bans exempt gaming. So please someone explain, why would this be good for Las Vegas?

Sure, use the health issue for workers. I will point you to dozens of professions more dangerous. A taxi cab driver or a pizza delivery driver is much more likely to get murdered than a casino worker getting a disease from second hand smoke. Should we ban taxis and pizza delivery because those that choose to drive a cab or pizza have a dangerous job? I use them as examples because they aren't exactly professions that have to exist unlike the military, fire and police which are even more dangerous.

A worker chooses to work in a smoking establishment and a patron chooses to go in there just as the owner chooses to allow smoking. All of this "The government needs to make decisions for me because I can't make them for myself" stuff is really sad.

The anti smoking lobby pushes for their agenda and has often gotten it. Where are they when people lose these "dangerous" jobs? Nowhere, because they have moved on to other states to force through their agendas. They already got their way in your state and they don't care how many people lost their jobs and their businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
 
815 posts, read 1,170,856 times
Reputation: 508
One of the most dangerous jobs in America is President of the US. A significant %age of them have been assasinated, yet you don't see government ban that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
12,252 posts, read 17,157,542 times
Reputation: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
I visited Deadwood SD this weekend which is where I lived before Las Vegas. A month ago the state passed a casino smoking ban. I went to the biggest party casino that would typically be wall to wall people and it was almost completely deserted. I went to several of the biggest casinos. There were very few people playing. It looked like 11pm on a Tuesday night, not 8pm on a Friday.

I talked to several of my Deadwood friends and they all stated the same thing. "The smoking ban is going to cause layoffs and maybe even force some places to close. It has been empty ever since the ban passed."

Their video lottery is down 25%:

Smoking ban, credit card reform among state budget hits

The state gets half of the net win in their statewide video poker industry. It's funny all of the people that voted smoking out don't go to these places anyway. Now entire industries are devastated and people will lose their jobs. On top of that taxes will almost certainly have to go up to cover the loss of tax from video lottery and Deadwood.

This story played out in every state that has banned smoking in casinos. I don't understand how anyone can deny this. The federal reserve and every state that has banned smoking has had the same results, a devastated gaming industry. That is why so many states with blanket bans exempt gaming. So please someone explain, why would this be good for Las Vegas?

Sure, use the health issue for workers. I will point you to dozens of professions more dangerous. A taxi cab driver or a pizza delivery driver is much more likely to get murdered than a casino worker getting a disease from second hand smoke. Should we ban taxis and pizza delivery because those that choose to drive a cab or pizza have a dangerous job? I use them as examples because they aren't exactly professions that have to exist unlike the military, fire and police which are even more dangerous.

A worker chooses to work in a smoking establishment and a patron chooses to go in there just as the owner chooses to allow smoking. All of this "The government needs to make decisions for me because I can't make them for myself" stuff is really sad.

The anti smoking lobby pushes for their agenda and has often gotten it. Where are they when people lose these "dangerous" jobs? Nowhere, because they have moved on to other states to force through their agendas. They already got their way in your state and they don't care how many people lost their jobs and their businesses.
That was the big cry in NY when they implemented the ban...and business did dip slightly at first, but came back even stronger, as the smokers adapted...and the non-smokers increased their use of the establishments.

Given a ban...smokers do adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM
 
Location: ɐpɐʌǝu 'sɐƃǝʌ sɐl
14,498 posts, read 10,385,912 times
Reputation: 7295
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I have the option of taking your cigarette and putting it out in your eye ball too.
Sure, that's an option, but it would be assault, and it's an illegal act. If you decided to try it, your best case outcome would be a jail stint, and if you were somehow successful in your attempt, there would be a massive civil penalty on top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Saying that everyone who is bothered by the smoke should just get out is kind of lame. Mind you, I'm not all that bothered by the smoke but your argument that people who are bothered by it should just go make a casino is ludicrous.
No, it isn't. You're letting your bias interfere with your objectivity.

Smoking - like it or not - is a LEGAL activity. Telling a business owner that they can't permit someone to partake in a LEGAL activity on their own private property is what's ludicrous.

Tell me - should I be allowed to have someone wearing a cologne I don't like forcibly removed from my presence? Should I be able to require that the Venetian not use that fragrance that they pollute their air with, just because it makes my throat scratchy? Of course not! They can do that if they like, because it's perfectly legal, and I can (and do) choose to not go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
12,252 posts, read 17,157,542 times
Reputation: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
One of the most dangerous jobs in America is President of the US. A significant %age of them have been assasinated, yet you don't see government ban that job.
...truly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 PM
 
3,195 posts, read 1,342,139 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Swagger you are arguing with well settled law. The government can ban smoking as it can impose health codes. It is not up for grabs.

They may not. At least for a while. But the public may decide to do so in the future. Or a couple of dealers get multiple million dollar awards for lung cancer...

You make a good point olecapt.

And considering Vegas has always allowed smoking and sitting at a blackjack table full of smokers is sometimes even unpleasant to other smokers for the overwhelming smoke in a small area, isn't it strange that there haven't been numerous cases of lung cancer and lawsuits among casino workers? You would think everyone of them would have some kind of tobacco related illness if second hand smoke was so dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM
 
3,195 posts, read 1,342,139 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I have the option of taking your cigarette and putting it out in your eye ball too. Saying that everyone who is bothered by the smoke should just get out is kind of lame. Mind you, I'm not all that bothered by the smoke but your argument that people who are bothered by it should just go make a casino is ludicrous.
Why would you find it so ludicrous to suggest allowing some casinos to be smoking and others not? Some bars are able to serve liquor while some only serve beer. Why are non smokers so adamant about controlling the lives of others? I don't patronize brothels but I don't care if someone else does. It's not my business and I don't patronize them because I have no interest in them. It sounds like some would find themselves better served in a non smoking casino so why is that ludicrious? Especially if I would be tempted to put a cigarette out in someone's eye. As angry as I get when I can't smoke I have yet to become violent or even rude for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,093 posts, read 2,226,104 times
Reputation: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Why would you find it so ludicrous to suggest allowing some casinos to be smoking and others not? Some bars are able to serve liquor while some only serve beer. Why are non smokers so adamant about controlling the lives of others? I don't patronize brothels but I don't care if someone else does. It's not my business and I don't patronize them because I have no interest in them. It sounds like some would find themselves better served in a non smoking casino so why is that ludicrious? Especially if I would be tempted to put a cigarette out in someone's eye. As angry as I get when I can't smoke I have yet to become violent or even rude for that matter.
How is comparing a brothel to smoking realistic? You are not going into the brothel so therefor you obviously wouldn't care nearly as much about what goes on as someone who actually goes to a casino but doesn't want to breathe smoke every time. This isn't about what is morally right.

Controlling your life? The same argument could be made for the non smokers that are forced to breathe your smoke if they wish to enjoy the casino. I'm not sure what all the focus on smoking being LEGAL is. Drinking is also legal but last time I checked it's illegal to partake in certain locations. Feeling that you should be able to light up wherever you want is just your own arrogance fueled by a norm that's been held for for over a century. I'm sorry but we don't still live in a time where doctors endorse brands of cigarettes over the TV. Change happens and laws shift constantly. If not, I would still be enjoying cocaine in my coca cola. Yes, it's currently legal and no I don't think it's going to change all that soon. However, it will change no matter how many times you wish that it won't.

Changing an existing casino to non smoking is not ludicrous but saying that all the non smokers should go open one up is. Not very realistic at this point in time. Not to mention that each casino has it's own draw and attractions that people like to visit and enjoy.

The casino workers aren't filing lawsuits because it would just be thrown out. It's an obvious risk to the work they do. Cigarettes are widely and commonly known to cause cancer. No judge or jury would be all that sympathetic to someone claiming ignorance on this. It's like a toll booth taker suing the state for carbon monoxide poisoning or the people here and there that try to sue McDonalds for making them fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 PM
 
3,195 posts, read 1,342,139 times
Reputation: 1525
The reason you find it ludicrous for non smokers to open a casino must be because you think it wouldn't be profitable?

So what if each casino has it's own draw that people like to enjoy. They don't all have to cater to you. You are an adult capable of making a decision about what businesses you want to patronize. If there is a draw in a business that appeals to you you are expected to decide if it is worth the cost. What IS ludicrous is that someone would expect that a business owner shouldn't have the right to chose his clientel and that he shouldn't have any attractions because by gawd there will be nonsmokers that want to see it and will shut him down if they are expected to honor the premise of his private business.

Also, most people know that coffee is hot and wouldn't put it between their legs and get burned but people have gone to court and won dispite this stupidity. I don'y buy your arguement.

Life is about taking risks and making choices. I agree that at some point cigarette smoking may be illegal in casinos...but by that time you may walk in and have to sit by someone smoking a joint...for medicinal purposes of course. You may still have to be adult enough to make a choice about what business you want to patronize because if you live to be 100 they may not all cater to your every whim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 10:14 PM
 
579 posts, read 368,925 times
Reputation: 371
We're not talking about a public structure like a courthouse, bus or school that you would have no choice but attending, we're talking about an establishment that caters to people 21+. You don't have to go into any casino. If you walk in to a casino it is because you voluntarily walked in or applied to work there. Nobody has forced you to go in there.

I really don't understand people that want to force their morals and beliefs onto other people. Why can you just not make an adult decision about where you go in your leisure time? No business is there to cater just to you.

I hope none of the people that have these ridiculous ideas ever move here. It would be sad to see such a libertarian place get destroyed by people with the "We didn't do things like that back in California" mentality. Some people say that Las Vegas will never recover. Those people will almost certainly be right if we turn Nevada and Las Vegas into a nanny state.

There are plenty of places in Las Vegas to gamble that are non smoking. Go to one if you don't like how the major casinos are running their business. Let the casinos know how you feel and when/if there is enough demand the marketplace will make the decision to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top