Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,591,504 times
This thread interests me, so thanks for the replies. I guess I'll see how it is when I move to Vegas.

But growing up in Portland, I didn't really think people were friendly or unfriendly, though I started to lean towards thinking unfriendly. My friend Casey proved a point to me, he wasn't anything more than a casual friend of mine at college, but he said, "Watch this, I'll show you," because he was trying to say people from his come town (some small California town) were friendlier than in our college town. So we stood there on the porch of my apartment, sort of out front actually not an actual porch for my unit, and he was really friendly to everyone walking by, "Hey how are you?" "Hey good day!" "Hey beautiful day huh?" and I swear 1 person out of like 15 waved or said hello, the rest put their heads down and kept walking, and this was in a town with no crime besides bicycle theft and minor in possessions (lol) and made up of nothing but college students, basically. It should be super friendly!!! But I started thinking about it and realizing in Portland, everyone walks with their heads down because the poor *******s are so used to it raining on them constantly that it becomes habit like don't look up at the sky that's where the RAIN comes from! LOL. So nobody really looks up even on a nice day.

In Los Angeles, I think people are overall much friendlier. Sure it may be superficial, but on the whole it's sunny almost every day, if you say hi people will generally respond, but I wouldn't say it's all that friendly. More so at the beach communities, less so in downtown and Beverly Hills and places like that. People have their guards up more.

So, I doubt Vegas would be less friendly than where I've been, but I'm not sure what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 AM

990 posts, read 1,647,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Yes, definitely. But I came from Jersey/NYC, so that's not a surprise. Pretty much everyone I've run into in a service capacity (cashiers, people at the bank, post office, etc) here is pretty friendly. However, service is definitely slower than in NYC.
Friendliness takes time. When service people are friendly lines move slower.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:55 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,408,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I haven't been to mass since I was a little kid...and back then, it was in Latin!

(seriously, I'm in MA all the time. only live about 45 mins from the border. Pittstown, Lee (outlets), Stockbridge, Great Barrington, Tanglewood area.)
Pittsfield...sorry. (I was in Pittstown, NJ, near the PA border last week.) Western Mass....The Berkshires area.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,445,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
NO! And if you don't like it, LEAVE!

Had to....just had to.
Yes, and I love it when you have to

"No one needs a smile as much as a person who fails to give one."

Author Unknown

Old 12-07-2010, 03:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,920,486 times
Absolutely. Much friendlier than in MN.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM

654 posts, read 1,318,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Absolutely. Much friendlier than in MN.
When I lived in Minnesota (still have lots of family there), we'd say people were "Minnesota nICE".

Translation: Nice on the surface, but ICEy underneath. True for a lot of people there.

Here, the neighbors with whom I've spoken are generally good & friendly. The remaining ones tend to keep to themselves & seem to not want much interaction. Maybe they're trying to stay a little 'off the grid' & keep to their own world. I dunno.

Me, I don't want the government/HOA/corporations nosing into my business. I live generally a squeaky-clean existence & don't want hassles. I do believe in karma & treating others with respect, expecting most of the same in return. I like the fact that, within reason, I can do what I want here. To each his own.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:01 PM

111 posts, read 252,749 times
I guess people are pretty nice in general in LV.
Although I'm always alil on my guard, (depends on who it is), when people approach me.
But really, I never experienced any unpleasent encounters.

The only thing I absolutely hate is people who are fake.
I'd rather have someone ignoring me or being rude, than being fake nice and asking me ''how I'm doing'', or sayin that it's ''so nice to meet me''.
I really hate that fakeness, especialy in shops and stuff.
I guess it's a differnce between the US and Europe again, but that's one thing I really can't get used to.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 PM

579 posts, read 993,447 times
I moved here from the Black Hills in South Dakota. I was expecting people to be rude and keep to themselves. While they have not been as friendly as the mountain people I lived around for years I have been very surprised by how outgoing and friendly most have been. I would still be a bit cautious about people though and not trust blindly. You never know when someone has a hidden gambling or drug addiction that might alter their motives.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:39 PM

111 posts, read 252,749 times
It really makes sense tho that people in LV are friendly when you think about it.
Most people propably work in entertainment and tourism,
so kinda logical that these people are friendly and easy to get in touch with.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,311,922 times
I'm thinking maybe the fact that so many LV residents are transplants and the (supposedly) transient nature of the population gives some people extra incentive to be more friendly or outgoing. Many people move there without a support system of friends and family and perhaps some of the people they do connect with in LV move over time, so making connections requires being a bit more social/outgoing/friendly than in certain other places (especially those where the residents have been living in the same area for a long time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas