U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 PM
 
69 posts, read 217,320 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Been here 5 months now and our house just got broken into.

I had just left for an appt and the alarm co called me that the alarm was triggered. Took mostly jewelry and my pillowcase to put it in.

But we had beautiful beveled glass panels in the front door and they smashed one in and unlocked the door.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8QcN2zZqxaMOi
here is a picture of the window

So I need to find someplace that can replace this specialized glass if anyone can help.

The burglary happened during the day. And scary to think that I could have been in the shower when it happened. So keep your doors locked everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2010, 07:37 PM
 
1,477 posts, read 4,136,881 times
Reputation: 964
Need to put security film on the glass once it is fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 33,350,987 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Need to put security film on the glass once it is fixed.
I am skeptical. Just checked the literature and find everyone being very careful about the security aspect.

I would think bang bang tap tap slash and reach your hand through. Am I missing something?

Now a quarter inch piece of plexiglass backing...but that is a different level of effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Vegas, baby, Vegas!
3,977 posts, read 6,541,242 times
Reputation: 3707
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgalt View Post
So keep your doors locked everyone
Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo pillowcases cause they be robbin everybody!

It's amazing how daring robbers have become, to do in at the FRONT door, in broad daylight! - and the alarm didn't scare them off?

Amazing

Being they had time to SEARCH your house, and put things in pillowcases, that means they had 10 mins? more time?

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 AM
 
1,817 posts, read 3,199,384 times
Reputation: 1963
While overall I agree, you do need a sharp knife to cut security film, which they may or may be in possession of. Also, it should give you a little extra time if you were home, to hear the glass break and respond before they've actually opened the door and are in the house.

And the security film is cheap, so I'd say it's worth it for that window.

I'd probably put both sides locking deadbolts on doors like that. I know that has safety issues too, but I'd do it anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I am skeptical. Just checked the literature and find everyone being very careful about the security aspect.

I would think bang bang tap tap slash and reach your hand through. Am I missing something?

Now a quarter inch piece of plexiglass backing...but that is a different level of effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 33,350,987 times
Reputation: 2661
Actually the classical entry by the burglars over recent years has been to simply kick the door open or bash out a big fixed window.

There have been a number of burglaries on the golf course lots that involve such a tactic. Ring the door bell and if no answer kick in the back slider/french doors or bust out a big window. Often the damage is worse than the theft. Collect the loot and exit up the golf course on foot.

Also works in the large lots like in the half acres where the walls protect the perps from views.

This is a place where the film may help...though you still lose a $1000 window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 33,350,987 times
Reputation: 2661
An one more constructive suggestion to the OP. See if you can figure out who made the door and contact them. You may be able to get a new glass panel that way much cheaper than having it repaired. The door looks recent so it may still be in production and you may be able to buy the panel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
13,819 posts, read 25,129,670 times
Reputation: 7615
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
While overall I agree, you do need a sharp knife to cut security film, which they may or may be in possession of. Also, it should give you a little extra time if you were home, to hear the glass break and respond before they've actually opened the door and are in the house.

And the security film is cheap, so I'd say it's worth it for that window.

I'd probably put both sides locking deadbolts on doors like that. I know that has safety issues too, but I'd do it anyways.
Where I live, people actually leave their doors open and their keys in the car in driveway overnight. It's nuts...I know...and I kept yelling at my stepdaughter about it. But you know what? She never changed...and her car never got stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Vegas, baby, Vegas!
3,977 posts, read 6,541,242 times
Reputation: 3707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Where I live, people actually leave their doors open and their keys in the car in driveway overnight. It's nuts...I know...and I kept yelling at my stepdaughter about it. But you know what? She never changed...and her car never got stolen.
Were do you live again?
I need a second car

Jonathan, umm I mean Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
 
69 posts, read 217,320 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo pillowcases cause they be robbin everybody!

It's amazing how daring robbers have become, to do in at the FRONT door, in broad daylight! - and the alarm didn't scare them off?

Amazing

Being they had time to SEARCH your house, and put things in pillowcases, that means they had 10 mins? more time?

Jonathan

Yes, I got home before the cops. Took them about 30 min after I got here. Looks like the burglar just had time to do the bedroom/closet. Could have been worse, I had Christmas presents out ready to wrap.

Security film is a good idea.
I live in a gated community but I guess no one is safe

Anyone know who I should call? glass company, door company?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top