Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 12:12 AM

383 posts, read 900,772 times

Advertisements

I researched the forum and found out a little on jobs driving a cab in Las Vegas. I read the pros and cons and was wondering why more people who are unemployed and claim there is no work here are not applying for these jobs? It seems like all the companies are hiring all the time. Maybe I am wrong but on all their websites it says they are and where I work tons of drivers hangout and say their companies are always hiring. They certainly aren't rich but seem to make a survivable wage. I would think it would be a decent job to have while looking for something better for someone looking to get started here. Just curious, is it hard to get that job or is it really that bad of a job for someone willing to work?

Last edited by costaricageorge; 12-16-2010 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: Correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,565,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricageorge View Post
I researched the forum and found out a little on jobs driving a cab in Las Vegas. I read the pros and cons and was wondering why more people who are unemployed and claim there is no work here are not applying for these jobs? It seems like all the companies are hiring all the time. Maybe I am wrong but on all their websites it says they are and where I work tons of drivers hangout and say their companies are always hiring. They certainly aren't rich but seem to make a survivable wage. I would think it would be a decent job to have while looking for something better for someone looking to get started here. Just curious, is it hard to get that job or is it really that bad of a job for someone willing to work?
I've heard it's filled with ex-cons who can't get work otherwise. Once again, just what I've heard.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 AM

383 posts, read 900,772 times
If that is the case it must be fairly easy to get hired and I imagine you could earn at least $100 a day so why aren't these jobs being filled? I hear you get stuck with lousy hours in the beginning (like 1 am to 9 am) but for someone looking for better work during the day that could be a good thing.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,096,626 times
mainly because it's now a 'dog eat dog' job. In some companies, the lowest booking driver for a shift doesnt work the next day. and 3 days of low book and you lose your job.

An honest driver can't make a living any more....

Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 PM

848 posts, read 1,723,676 times
Too many cab companies out there and I doubt the cab drivers make any money at all. The wait lines for these cab drivers are long whether on the Strip or Downtown and these drivers don't care for the locals. Worse, you pick one wrong passenger and you can get robbed or your life taken away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas