U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,789 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving to Las Vegas sometime in the next 6 to 9 months, and we have a 19 month old son who is very bright, so we need to think about preschools. The best school opportunites could determine where we live. The commute does not matter. I am assuming the best schools are in the Summerlin area, but I know I could be completely wrong. I am especially interested in Montessori accredited schools, etc. This child is extra bright and sweet, but highly adventureous and physical, so I don't want his spirit broken by a conventional school quite yet.

Thanks for anything you have to say on the subject.

Regards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 AM

2,404 posts, read 9,524,988 times
The only Montessori schools that I am aware of is in the SE, there is one I believe on Sandhill or Pecos and another one on Sunset...There might be one in the NW...

Old 07-13-2007, 07:51 AM

560 posts, read 1,966,830 times
First of all, do not automatically assume that the best pre schools are in Summerlin. I had my daughter in two different pre schools, both in Summerlin and I was not happy at all. I finally put her in All Saints Day School which is on Washington near the corner of Valley View. This school does not look nice and shiny and new like the ones in Summerlin, but it is an awesome pre school. I am not sure what your budget is, but there are also some pretty expensive pre schools which can run anywhere from 8-10+K a year. In my opinion no pre school is worth that kind of money. I am sorry, but I don't know about the montessori situation here.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:44 PM

6 posts, read 35,951 times
I work for a Pre-school, although in Reno NV we are known as being in top 5 in the area. One of the best thing to look for is ratio, for your sons age the law says 8 children to each adult, but the best thing for gifted children is more individual attention but still allowing them to develop social skills with others. The better pre-schools will keep staff-to-child ratios low to benefit both the child and the caregiver. It's good that you're looking now and wanting the best instead of waiting until he's 4, the earlier the better. Also, if you feel comfortable asking and they're willing to respond, ask how high of a turn over rate they have for caregivers...are they losing staff members constantly etc. Your child needs consistency in his daily schedule, as I'm sure you already know, but this factor is often overlooked. Also a huge thing...don't think that the most expensive Pre-school is the best one. Go with a preschool you believe will fit your childs needs, right now although very bright cognitively he may still need to fullfill social and emotional skills. As a caregiver myself, I highly suggest getting to know his teachers once a place is established, work with them not against them, the more open you are with them the more they are with you...and when both you and the caregiver have a good relationship, your child can then truly succeed, without it the negativity bears down on him. If you don't like someone your child will sense it and then follow suit.
Those are the best suggestions i can give you no matter where you live.
Check out this site for some more helpful hints: NCCIC. For Parents (broken link)
Check out Montessori.org to find one near you, they have amazing philosophies and are great for any child, it's up to whether or not you agree with them.

Last edited by IwanaBnAngel; 07-14-2007 at 09:34 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 05:37 PM

49 posts, read 176,722 times
I have two children that will be needing to attending Preschools and I have heard only the negative as far as all of the schools and I am very concerned. I live in michigan and they are takening away and closing schools around here which to me is not good either. Looking at renting in the west to north west area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or