Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 AM

399 posts, read 557,225 times

Advertisements

There were no jets flying from Nellis this weekend, and absolutely no flight path goes near NLV airport - closest is 4NM to the North between Shadow Creek & Craig Ranch golf course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,106,209 times
There is lots of traffic at NLV. What I said was the largest (heaviest) was the Grand Canyon flights. But they are not heavy jets and don't fly continuously.

If they are taking off to the west you would certainly hear them. But to be a nuisance you would have to be right under the flight path. If someone who is noise concerned has bought right under a fligth path I would see little choice but to move.

Airport operations routinely start at or just before dawn. Nice time to fly.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM

35 posts, read 181,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
There were no jets flying from Nellis this weekend, and absolutely no flight path goes near NLV airport - closest is 4NM to the North between Shadow Creek & Craig Ranch golf course.
If there were no jets from Nellis this weekend, what are these larger aircraft I'm hearing? They clearly not small private planes, those have a very distinctive sound that's fairly easily identified as being small aircraft.
Something is not adding up here.....

to Olecapt, in my opinion, private aircraft shouldn't be permitted to start flying over residential neighborhoods at 5;30 am. but the usual response to that is, 'the airport was here before the homes were". Anyway, this is all very curious....I've wondered if McCarran was sending flights over or near here, if it isn't Nellis.....

oops, there goes another high altitude flight just now.... not Nellis? What then? If I were counting, I'd say there's been 10 or more of these already this morning...anyone from 89108 welcome to add your thoughts! what are your ears telling you?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 AM

[quote=olecapt;17070630]There is lots of traffic at NLV. What I said was the largest (heaviest) was the Grand Canyon flights. But they are not heavy jets and don't fly continuously.

i don't think what I'm hearing are Grand Canyon flights....there's too many of them. And aren't those helicopter tours? What i'm hearing aren't helicopters but larger sounding aircraft. (yes there are a few helicopters but those are readily identifiable, albeit quite noisy and annoying, but at least they are not continuous).

As for being directly under a flight path, the small aircraft seem to take off different directions but they are still very noisy regardless of what direction, and some are directly overhead (as in the two that flew over and totally stopped conversation twice in a two hr time period). Whatever THAT was, it was loud enough and/or low enough to stop a conversation.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 PM

233 posts, read 496,665 times
I'm in 89108. Every now and then you hear the planes from McCarran, but nothing bothersome to me anyway. I sometimes see the planes landing over at N Las Vegas airport but don't ever really hear them. Never heard any from Nellis here.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,225,911 times
If those big noisy planes are mainly white with red, they are the janet planes. They ferry workers back and forth from area 51 that doesn't exist. And Indian Springs that does exist. Those are the worst, super loud.
I have seen small aircraft, helicopters and small private jets taking off from NLV airport. Have not physically seen the janet planes taking off from there, but the noise is deafening.

And esas, if no jets were flying in and out of Nellis this past weekend, I guess I just imagined them as they continually flew back and forth leaving a trail of noise behind them. I find it hard to imagine those big ones would fly out of tiny little NLV airport.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha0608 View Post
I'm in 89108. Every now and then you hear the planes from McCarran, but nothing bothersome to me anyway. I sometimes see the planes landing over at N Las Vegas airport but don't ever really hear them. Never heard any from Nellis here.
It may depend upon where in the zip code you are. it's interesting that you say that some of the planes you hear are from McCarran...I also feel that these are McCarran aircraft in the mix. It's obviously quite confusing as to just what is flying where....as far as not hearing the NLV flights, the small planes can and do make quite a racket, especially if it's a nice day and a lot of them are flying that day... so it may be you are somewhat off the flight path as they depart, depending on the direction they're going. As indicated, a couple days ago, had conversation stopping noise events within a two hour period twice as loud aircraft flew directly over the roof, (not sure what it was), so it may be variable even from street to street in the area...

Old 12-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If those big noisy planes are mainly white with red, they are the janet planes. They ferry workers back and forth from area 51 that doesn't exist. And Indian Springs that does exist. Those are the worst, super loud.
I have seen small aircraft, helicopters and small private jets taking off from NLV airport. Have not physically seen the janet planes taking off from there, but the noise is deafening.

And esas, if no jets were flying in and out of Nellis this past weekend, I guess I just imagined them as they continually flew back and forth leaving a trail of noise behind them. I find it hard to imagine those big ones would fly out of tiny little NLV airport.
I looked up and saw an aircraft a few days ago, rather high altitude but visible and fairly audible, (meaning, yeah, it was making some irritating noise enough for me to look up and check it out), which was red underneath. I thought it might be a Southwest jet, as someone has suggested that Southwest sometimes gets into the mix too...I've mainly heard large aircraft the past few days, so whatever it was, most of it in the 89108 has been large, not small aircraft, so either Nellis or McCarran have been routed through here due to weather or other reasons...I feel really bad for my friend who bought in this zip, because he never heard this large aircraft when he looked at the house prior to purchase which leads me to believe it wasn't being routed here at that time of year. What a headache... i'm just staying over temporarily to help out with the moving, but am glad I'm not the one who will be listening to this 24/7, esp on the patio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas