U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-19-2010, 08:47 AM

35 posts, read 92,179 times
Default Curious about aircraft

Does Nellis AFB fly into or use North Vegas Airport? a friend just bought a house near the air terminal and is hearing a lot of large high altitude flights coming in which clearly are not small private aircraft. thanks for any info, the air traffic around town can get confusing to newbies for sure.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-19-2010, 08:59 AM

124 posts, read 93,994 times
Do not fly into or over North Vegas airport, however - departure and recovery routes are only about 3-4NM to the North. All Nellis traffic through that area will be at or below 350 knots and between 3500-5000'.

Unread 12-19-2010, 09:31 AM

from your response it seems like nellis air traffic could be contributing to a steady stream of noise near enough to the air terminal that it amounts to a contributing noise nuisance, even though nellis planes may not be actually flying into the terminal or directly over. just trying to understand the flight path situation in LV which is pretty darn confusing to say the least. are homes around the Vegas air terminal affected by Nellis? Bummer for buyers who specifically wanted to avoid nellis type aircraft only to have it show up near or around the air terminal which isn't near nellis.

looks pretty challenging out here to purchase property without running into a nasty surprise re: aircraft noise. These planes are most definitely the large high altitude aircraft, not the small private planes generally in use at the air terminal . And they've been coming in early, starting around 5 am onward. They can be seen flying overhead the homes around there. Is this weather related? seasonal? Just trying to ID what these aircraft are because they definitely are not small aviation . thanks for any further info on this.

Unread 12-19-2010, 11:36 AM

15,759 posts, read 19,044,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyglick View Post
from your response it seems like nellis air traffic could be contributing to a steady stream of noise near enough to the air terminal that it amounts to a contributing noise nuisance, even though nellis planes may not be actually flying into the terminal or directly over. just trying to understand the flight path situation in LV which is pretty darn confusing to say the least. are homes around the Vegas air terminal affected by Nellis? Bummer for buyers who specifically wanted to avoid nellis type aircraft only to have it show up near or around the air terminal which isn't near nellis.

looks pretty challenging out here to purchase property without running into a nasty surprise re: aircraft noise. These planes are most definitely the large high altitude aircraft, not the small private planes generally in use at the air terminal . And they've been coming in early, starting around 5 am onward. They can be seen flying overhead the homes around there. Is this weather related? seasonal? Just trying to ID what these aircraft are because they definitely are not small aviation . thanks for any further info on this.
You wil be aware of Nellis traffic anywhere on the far North side. Real noise impact is shown by this map...

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/c...pendixG18b.pdf

The Nellis traffic heads in and out basically parallel to 95 in the NW. The heavy traffic is actually to the NE of the field.

I personally find the police helicopters more annoying...particularly when they circulate on a nearby spot for a long time.

There are some other threads on this subject if you want to search a little.

Unread 12-19-2010, 03:09 PM

thank you for posting the map. I have looked at other threads, although none of them addressed the issue of Nellis and how it interacts with the Vegas air terminal (North Las Vegas Airport), specifically around the neighborhoods that deal with the annoying low flying private plane traffic generated from that facility. They are getting a double dose - private aircraft plus a lot of impact from Nellis depending on weather, time of day and other factors. Anyone buying a home in Vegas better become super savvy and educated about aviation issues, because the average person is not gonna spot some of these potential noise problems until it's too late and the deal is done. Most home buyers don't have two-three weeks to camp out and listen 24/7, night and day, to hear the different cycles of noise, so unfortunately may not be getting a representative sample of what's in store for them at certain locations during the home buying process, no matter how diligent they are or think they are.

It's reasonable in my mind that some home buyers would naturally assume if they are a distance away from nellis, there's going to be little to no exposure to nellis aircraft, which isn't true apparently. If I had a dollar for every time I heard my friend tell their realtor "don't show me homes around Nellis" but has ended up hearing Nellis noise anyway, I have to shake my head. I tried to help out to some extent, but I'm not familiar enough with things to be of much assistance.

true enough, police helicopters can be quite annoying, although at least with those, it isn't continuous take offs one after the other. Bottom line: it's what people hear and report on the ground that equals the reality of what's really happening at their particular location, regardless of a noise map. When all three sources of noise are added at one locale: small aircraft, PLUS Nellis PLUS the police helicopters, quality of life becomes an issue. BUYER BEWARE and good luck to you, you'll need it!

Unread 12-19-2010, 06:41 PM

Does not really compute. The NLV traffic comes from the west or northwest to land. Anyone any place near that approach will have no really significant Nellis noise. Note that the landing and takeoff traffic at Nellis runs to the NE most of the time. So they only thing you can hear is the traffic at altitude having come back around to head NW out of the valley.

By the time you are that far from the traffic it is not very noisey.

Any one working that area of Las Vegas would warn their client of the NLV traffic. I would also warn of the Nellis traffic if east of Aliante in NLV.

On rare ocassion you may see a low flight by a squadron returning to Nellis...but that is actually kind of neat to see...and they don't make a lot of noise. And it happens maybe once or twice a year.

Unread 12-19-2010, 07:10 PM

yep, something isn't computing , but a steady stream of aircraft is audible and it's not the small private aircraft from NLV (that's readily identifiable as such), but large high altitude aircraft, one right after the other. Here comes another....are my and my friend's ears lying? is this the right turn situation going on or something else? this is 89108 area....are these nellis flights or what? if this isn't a noise impact I'd like to know what else to call it.... and i certainly agree, any agent working this area should warn a client about NLV, Nellis or any flight path that would affect quality of life. In this case, I'm not sure what the agent did....but clearly it wasn't enough to alert my pal about the potential for noise impact. (seller didn't specifically disclose anything, but what's new? sellers lie/hide/downplay so it's up to a good realtor to be the main guide/help in situations like this. )

Unread 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyglick View Post
yep, something isn't computing , but a steady stream of aircraft is audible and it's not the small private aircraft from NLV (that's readily identifiable as such), but large high altitude aircraft, one right after the other. Here comes another....are my and my friend's ears lying? is this the right turn situation going on or something else? this is 89108 area....are these nellis flights or what? if this isn't a noise impact I'd like to know what else to call it.... and i certainly agree, any agent working this area should warn a client about NLV, Nellis or any flight path that would affect quality of life. In this case, I'm not sure what the agent did....but clearly it wasn't enough to alert my pal about the potential for noise impact. (seller didn't specifically disclose anything, but what's new? sellers lie/hide/downplay so it's up to a good realtor to be the main guide/help in situations like this. )
Idon't know what it is your are hearing but there really is no such stream of local origination. Or at least there is no such stream that gets anywhere near 89108. That would be impacted entirely by NLV...and that is pretty much nothing heavier than two engine tourist flights to the Grand Canyon. The only airport with any kind of continuous flow is McCarran...and that does not get anywhere near 89108 on any departure path. Actually 89108 is protected by NLV and Neliis from flyover traffic.

I suppose you might get some traffic from McCarran on reverse runway days...but that N/S runway is used very little. And it would again only be on a day with strong winds from the north.

There are a study stream of jets using LV as a navigation point...but they are all above 20K feet.

Unread 12-19-2010, 10:36 PM

8,722 posts, read 13,726,072 times
The planes that are coming one after another, are from Nellis. They just fly close to the NLV airport in some of their maneuvers. Half the time every day it's really noisy, then some days, nothing. When it's cloudy, it's noisier. After awhile you will get used to it.
Although, even being in Aliante for almost 7 years, some days I just can't stand the jet noise. Especially when it wakes me up from a sound sleep. If my home had better insulation to not hear the outside noises, it probably wouldn't be such a pain.

Unread 12-20-2010, 07:17 AM

Thanks PinkString....clearly Nellis is part of this noise scenario. 89108 is definitely impacted by not only NLV but large aircraft...a local around here (who works for a utility company) said Nellis actually at times uses NLV for landings or a drop off point or something....Olecapt, it's approximately 5:30 am and by this time already two very noisy small aircraft have taken off from NLV which would definitely wake someone up. Not sure if that's related to more people flying out for the holidays, but there's a lot more going on at NLV then a few Grand Canyon tours. NLV seems at times to be presented to the buying public as a very lightweight airport with a few tour groups flying in and out. That's a misrepresentation. There seems to be a lack of consensus about aircraft noise in the 89108 zip code.

But most definitely large aircraft play a role in this zip...it may be off and on as you say, PinkString, and it will be a part of the mix enough to contribute to the noise at varying and different times of the year or weather patterns. And these are most definitely audible, noisy and loud aircraft, not so high altitude that it's inaudible. I think this thread proves how tricky it is to buy real estate in LV due to the aircraft noise issues, which seemingly no two people can agree on, or even two residents living in the same zip code...one person might be gone all day at work and never hear anything, whereas people who are retired and home most of the day catch it 24/7.

I asked another local resident what the big planes were and they said, "I have no idea". So, it's really difficult to find out anything, even from people in their own neighborhoods. btw Olecapt, some of the small planes from NLV can be so loud that they interrupt conversation, they fly low and are LOUD. When you have to stop talking while something passes overhead, you know it's bad. So it definitely behooves local realtors to go out of their way to warn potential buyers around NLV airport that this can and does happen, including warning about larger aircraft that contribute to the mix, either seasonally or whatever the case may be. Because let's face it, you can be looking at a house to buy and think you are hearing a representative sampling of the noise when actually you're not. From what i can gather, the realtors involved in this deal did not go out of their way to warn or point out just how bad/irritating/noise impactful it can be around NLV air terminal. And certainly when you add in other aircraft, it's compounded. As I said, Buyer Beware! Don't count on your realtor, the seller's "disclosure" (which we all know is usually a minimal NON-disclosure of neighborhood negatives), or anyone else to fill you in about aircraft noise. You may not be getting the real scoop...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas