Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:09 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I'm just curious how it's possible that Las Vegas, which is in the ultimate libertarian state, is somehow "democrat-leaning"? That makes no sense to me at all. I mean, the liberals can't wait to raise taxes on everyone, it's a huge hallmark of being a democrat in this country -- anti-business, anti-corporations, and pro-taxes on everything that moves. Yet Nevada is the most business-friendly state in the union, it has some of the lowest taxes, and is politically just about ideal... except somehow the voters elected Reid, again, who is one of the biggest morons in the entire Senate. I'm not sure what to make of that situation?

I mean if you showed me all of the laws, all of the tax structure, and everything else that is amazing about Vegas, I'd tell you it has to be mostly conservative, and full of libertarians, but then when I hear democrat-leaning I'm just confused. I think the only explanation is that the state isn't conservative or liberal, it's just libertarian, maybe the only such state, because it combines all of the best parts of the liberal side (no puritanical nonsense, freedom to do as you please as long as it doesn't hurt others, no "moral police" like the crazy right wingers) with all of the best parts of the conservative side (low taxes, small government, gun ownership, etc.).

Nevada is pretty much exactly what I think the founding fathers had in mind when they made this country. So is it just a different TYPE of democrat in Las Vegas? Because the ones in California would never stand for 0% income taxes, they would prefer it be 25% or even 50% and just drive out everyone who makes any money, they would prefer we institute another few dozen social programs, and they're basically completely clueless about the way the economy actually works. Apparently a Nevada democrat is totally unlike a California one! lol
Moderation is needed with anything in life including politics.

If there were no Democrats in Nevada, you really think Las Vegas and the smaller counties would survive? No brothels in rural areas. Vegas without the sin. No liquor allowed on the streets. No public intoxication on the Strip. No pictures of half-naked girls. Can you imagine Las Vegas being in West Virginia or North Dakota?

Do I like Harry Reid, no, but I might support him if I lived in Vegas full-time. I wouldn't want to live near a nuclear waste dump. Thanks to Reid, it hopefully will never become a reality, but if it were 100% Republicans, it would have opened already or be in the process. ...moderation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 04:42 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
I haven't seen anybody mention yet the single biggest reason Las Vegas has become such a Democrat stronghold...the fast growing Hispanic population. Exit polls show Hispanics made all the difference in the recent Reid re-election. The majority of non-Hispanic whites voted for Sharron Angle.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I haven't seen anybody mention yet the single biggest reason Las Vegas has become such a Democrat stronghold...the fast growing Hispanic population. Exit polls show Hispanics made all the difference in the recent Reid re-election. The majority of non-Hispanic whites voted for Sharron Angle.
Who did the Hispanic population vote for Guv?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:49 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
I'm just curious how it's possible that Las Vegas, which is in the ultimate libertarian state, is somehow "democrat-leaning"? That makes no sense to me at all. I mean, the liberals can't wait to raise taxes on everyone, it's a huge hallmark of being a democrat in this country -- anti-business, anti-corporations, and pro-taxes on everything that moves. Yet Nevada is the most business-friendly state in the union, it has some of the lowest taxes, and is politically just about ideal... except somehow the voters elected Reid, again, who is one of the biggest morons in the entire Senate. I'm not sure what to make of that situation?

I mean if you showed me all of the laws, all of the tax structure, and everything else that is amazing about Vegas, I'd tell you it has to be mostly conservative, and full of libertarians, but then when I hear democrat-leaning I'm just confused. I think the only explanation is that the state isn't conservative or liberal, it's just libertarian, maybe the only such state, because it combines all of the best parts of the liberal side (no puritanical nonsense, freedom to do as you please as long as it doesn't hurt others, no "moral police" like the crazy right wingers) with all of the best parts of the conservative side (low taxes, small government, gun ownership, etc.).

Nevada is pretty much exactly what I think the founding fathers had in mind when they made this country. So is it just a different TYPE of democrat in Las Vegas? Because the ones in California would never stand for 0% income taxes, they would prefer it be 25% or even 50% and just drive out everyone who makes any money, they would prefer we institute another few dozen social programs, and they're basically completely clueless about the way the economy actually works. Apparently a Nevada democrat is totally unlike a California one! lol
ANGLE didn't seem to have too many 'live and let live' values. If she'd been elected to represent Nevada, I think the irony would have been much more thicker than Reid being re-elected.

The things you like about Nevada...business-friendly and low taxes...weren't threatened whatsoever with a Reid re-election.

--

(Just to clarify though, I'm not a Nevadan, just a Nevadan admirer. My wife is a semi-Nevadan though. Just wanted to clarify in case you were looking solely for Nevadan responses).

Old 12-25-2010, 02:36 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I don't really think any great state can have radicals from either side, because they are all intolerable. Radical left wingers, you get California, which anyone who isn't smoking too much pot can clearly see is a TERRIBLE state politically, in absolute ruin, with huge taxes on everything and poor results for those taxes. But if you have a state that's too conservative, you basically make it into a police state where morality is adjudicated by the government and you can't buy alcohol on Sundays because that's "The Lord's Day." It's almost 2011, a bit inappropriate to let fairy tales be running ANY politics at all.

I'm glad to hear that nobody in Nevada would be too happy about the idea of income taxes. I can tell you it'd be a business killer and would pretty much ruin the state's value to a lot of people like me. I love the laws in general, I love the state, but if had the same income taxes as California for instance, I wouldn't consider moving there, no way, I'd just get a small vacation place. As it is, I can't wait to move, because not only do I prefer everything else about Nevada but it's a good business decision too.

I'm now from California, but not originally, since I grew up in Oregon and have spent the vast majority of my life in Oregon, so we faced much the same thing and same annoyance, of being "Californicated." It's not always a bad thing, since Californians often raised property values and expanded our economy too, plus so many people move from CA to neighboring states, so you're bound to have friends like that.

But I would hope most of the people moving from CA to NV would be like me, escaping a sinking ship and supportive of Nevada as it is, not people who want to turn it into California East. haha

Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
ANGLE didn't seem to have too many 'live and let live' values. If she'd been elected to represent Nevada, I think the irony would have been much more thicker than Reid being re-elected.

The things you like about Nevada...business-friendly and low taxes...weren't threatened whatsoever with a Reid re-election.

--

(Just to clarify though, I'm not a Nevadan, just a Nevadan admirer. My wife is a semi-Nevadan though. Just wanted to clarify in case you were looking solely for Nevadan responses).
YOU Sir are DEAD WRONG.

ANDLEDANGLE Doesnt seem to have ANY values

Reid [for all of his screwups in the Senate] has doen good things for the state of NV....just LOUSY things for the US.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:57 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Quote:
I don't really think any great state can have radicals from either side, because they are all intolerable. Radical left wingers, you get California, which anyone who isn't smoking too much pot can clearly see is a TERRIBLE state politically, in absolute ruin, with huge taxes on everything and poor results for those taxes. But if you have a state that's too conservative, you basically make it into a police state where morality is adjudicated by the government and you can't buy alcohol on Sundays because that's "The Lord's Day." It's almost 2011, a bit inappropriate to let fairy tales be running ANY politics at all.

I'm glad to hear that nobody in Nevada would be too happy about the idea of income taxes. I can tell you it'd be a business killer and would pretty much ruin the state's value to a lot of people like me. I love the laws in general, I love the state, but if had the same income taxes as California for instance, I wouldn't consider moving there, no way, I'd just get a small vacation place. As it is, I can't wait to move, because not only do I prefer everything else about Nevada but it's a good business decision too.

I'm now from California, but not originally, since I grew up in Oregon and have spent the vast majority of my life in Oregon, so we faced much the same thing and same annoyance, of being "Californicated." It's not always a bad thing, since Californians often raised property values and expanded our economy too, plus so many people move from CA to neighboring states, so you're bound to have friends like that.

But I would hope most of the people moving from CA to NV would be like me, escaping a sinking ship and supportive of Nevada as it is, not people who want to turn it into California East. haha

Harry Reid would have lost that election had he ran against Sue Lowden. Harry Reid won re-election the day Angle won here primary. Nevada is a case where the tea party hurt the GOP badly.

If it is any consolation, Nevada is one of Ron Paul's strongest states and it's really not all that left leaning at all, it's purple. We are still a swing state.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:57 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Harry Reid would have lost that election had he ran against Sue Lowden. Harry Reid won re-election the day Angle won here primary. Nevada is a case where the tea party hurt the GOP badly.

If it is any consolation, Nevada is one of Ron Paul's strongest states and it's really not all that left leaning at all, it's purple. We are still a swing state.
Nahhh...might have been closer though. Lowden was also good at shooting herself in the foot. Sandoval could probably have taken Reid. Maybe Heller.

Paul would get creamed. Las Vegas is death on right extremists. The rest of the state would be solid for him. But he gets killed in Vegas. And he is another who would say the wrong thing.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nahhh...might have been closer though. Lowden was also good at shooting herself in the foot. Sandoval could probably have taken Reid. Maybe Heller.

Paul would get creamed. Las Vegas is death on right extremists. The rest of the state would be solid for him. But he gets killed in Vegas. And he is another who would say the wrong thing.
The Sue Lowden part was speculation. We'll never know.

What I was saying about Ron Paul though was that Nevada is one of his strongest states. I would not say that any of the states are real strong for him or that he would win them but he placed 2nd in Nevada in 2008 GOP caucus. Lot's of Libertarians up north. Mitt Romney won BTW and he is more right than McCain.

As we all know Obama won the general against a moderate candidate.

In fact all but two democrat candidates won in Nevada that year suggesting a huge surge in democratic turnout. Turnout is the key. The left was simply way more energized that year.

It was the independent vote that made the difference though.

This year went the other way a tad. Many liberal candidates got smoked.

I don't know how we let Joe Heck back into things. :P

If you look at the data it clearly shows the gap between Republican and Dems closing in favor of the Repubs in 2010 compared to 2008 while the number of independent voter remains virtually static.

Nevada Secretary of State : Voter Registration Statistics - November 2010 Total

Old 12-25-2010, 02:53 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Nevada's a swing state and politically moderate as a whole. Even Las Vegas has a much more moderate feel than the numbers suggest.

A democrat here is not the same as a Massachusetts democrat or a New York democrat. Even the people who claim liberal ideology in Las Vegas are typically a lot more moderate than the liberals on the east coast or in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas