Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:27 PM

10 posts, read 67,299 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom moving to las vegas in about 4-6 weeks since I just graduated from college and there are no jobs in my area. I have been researching the schools for my daughter who is getting ready to go into seventh grade, and I am not sure whether I want to go with public or private schools. I have come to the conclusion that Bob Miller Middle school is one of the best schools in the las vegas area according to the scores I seen online and compared to all the other middle schools. Can anyone tell me about the private schools? If you live in the area, do you agree that Bob Miller is one of the better Middle schools? I am also trying to research some good apartments, any good tips?? Any info would be greatly appreciated

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Miller is in the top 10% of the middle schools. I doubt there is any private school superior to it academically. Pretty nice area as well.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:12 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
I attended Miller, absolutely worst time there...if you had no money, the counselors wouldn't give you a chance, there were projects that required high-tech stuff like videocameras and other stuff, I failed them because we couldn't afford the cameras and the school would do nothing about it...PM me for some more information about the school...There was only one good teacher and he's retiring because he's sick of the crap in the district and sick of the way Miller is being ran...he's now teaching at private school, his wife, I believe is also leaving Miller, who was the only good counselor there as well...all in all I had an awful experience there and that's why I didn't go to Coronado afterward...

Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 AM

The kid's anecdote is personal and reflects his focus. The numbers speak for themselves. Miller is a fine school. Note that all high academiic schools are often cliquish. Money does that to kids sometimes. I ran into a similar situation in my youth...but I thought it funny while the kid took it personally. YMMV

There is a ranking of the schools at....

Clark County School Rankings and Performance

The individual entries link to the school achievement reports.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 67,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Miller is in the top 10% of the middle schools. I doubt there is any private school superior to it academically. Pretty nice area as well.
I've seen a lot of the information that you post on other people's questions and you have very good information to offer I just posted another thread about all of the apartments that I have been researching in the green valley area since I want to be in the bob miller school area for my daughter and found a website (Apartmentratings.com) where people give their opinions about the apartment complexes. Needless to say that most of these ratings are not good and claim the apartments have huge bug problems, to which I have a phobia. I am worried since I don't know the area. Since you seem to know the area very good, are there any apartments that you would reccomend? what about home rentals or townhome rentals? I was interested in buying but want to get to know the area first before I make that big leap! Sorry this is so long, any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Old 07-22-2007, 12:05 PM

Check your PMs.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,785 times
Default miller

It all really depends on who you are! My first year at Miller wasn't the best, but i also came from the rival school Greenspun So all really depends on how you feel! My 8th grade year was like the best! I would recomend this school and the teachers r great too!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:35 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
If it were me I'd feel fine sending my kids to Miller. I've subbed at the school several times and it seems to be a good school. The demographics are pretty good, tests scores are above average, free lunch percent is lower than average... it's a pretty good school. I'd give it a chance, you can always make the switch to a private school if you find it's not working out. But if it were me I'd feel comfortable putting my kids in Miller.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingonza View Post
I have come to the conclusion that Bob Miller Middle school is one of the best schools in the las vegas area according to the scores I seen online and compared to all the other middle schools. Can anyone tell me about the private schools? If you live in the area, do you agree that Bob Miller is one of the better Middle schools? I am also trying to research some good apartments, any good tips?? Any info would be greatly appreciated

thank you
I don't know -- to me, it seems above average, based on its scores. Here's the link to the accountability report through CCSD:

http://ccsd.net/schools/acc_pdfs_2006/269.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-04-2007, 12:08 PM

89 posts, read 297,517 times
It's child abuse to leave your child in the hands of a public school teacher, especially a unionized one. Indoctrination is more important to them than education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: