Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times

Advertisements

If you can't find squirrels in Las Vegas, maybe you're looking in the wrong places...

Are those acorns...or testicles...or ebony boobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 PM

848 posts, read 1,723,772 times
This past year I did not see much wildlife out in the wild, a few bighorn and a few burros while hiking in the desert. A week before Christmas 2010, late night in Spring Valley around the Southern part of Durango I saw a gray fox in the middle of the road. Nice!!! There is still a wide expanse of undeveloped land in that area. Over at Red Springs while hiking late in the afternoon this past summer I have seen a gray fox as well sneaking around the scrubs.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:01 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Look around folks. Anybody see any nuts? Squirrels eat nuts, ground squirrels, or chipmunks, eat seeds. You have to go way up in northern Nevada to see squirrels. Reno has lots of them. Not sure if Ely does, but I don't think so; although I believe I've seen them around Elko.

The birds native to this area weren't chased off by pigeons either. They were run off by the State bird ...the construction crane. Wherever you live in the Valley you are living on what was formerly habitat for Quail, Ravens (no crows around here either), Red Tail Hawks, Killdeer, and Burrowing Owls. When we first moved west of U.S. 95, we saw lots of killdeer, although it was pretty pathetic since they were sleeping and nesting in the middle of the streets where their washes that they loved used to be. Same for Burrowing Owls. They would be in the street, or a fake landscaping dry wash feature, looking for food that had been run off too. Sometimes we'd see them hanging around a supermarket under the eves or on a light pole. If you live on the edge of town you'll probably see some of the native species before their natural homes are built upon.

We do have a 1000 times more birds here than when it was all native desert, and no trees had been planted yet, but they are new to the area just like most residents. There were only a few native cotton woods, and mesquite trees into the 80's when the boom started. Around the homes here then, most imported trees were still pretty small. Now you would have a hard time finding any native trees except in the older parks.

It's really sad to see what Marnell Corrao has done by destroying all the mesquite forests, which were natural quail habitat, killing off all the quail, and then having the audacity to name their lousy projects Quail this and Quail that.

Whats strange is how well the doves have thrived. Used to only see a few doves during their migration/hunting season. Now they are almost as prolific as the pigeons.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Do you think the Doves are being released by out of work Magicians?

This is what I like to think.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
This past year I did not see much wildlife out in the wild, a few bighorn and a few burros while hiking in the desert. A week before Christmas 2010, late night in Spring Valley around the Southern part of Durango I saw a gray fox in the middle of the road. Nice!!! There is still a wide expanse of undeveloped land in that area. Over at Red Springs while hiking late in the afternoon this past summer I have seen a gray fox as well sneaking around the scrubs.
Plenty of grey foxes over at Sun City.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Do you think the Doves are being released by out of work Magicians?

This is what I like to think.
Nah...out of work magicians experience hunger...those doves are usually transformed into dinner...with a snap of the fingers.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM

102 posts, read 256,085 times
Thanks Buzz123...it's great to know the natural history around here, however sad. I saw a quail sneaking into the bushes on Nellis the other day.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcrawler View Post
Thanks Buzz123...it's great to know the natural history around here, however sad. I saw a quail sneaking into the bushes on Nellis the other day.
Actually Sun City Summerlin is loaded with quail. Virtually every house with any reasonable cover has a family. I suspect way more quail there now then before the construction occurred.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
We did have a road runner in our yard, we fed him scraps of meat, he stayed in our yard for years.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We did have a road runner in our yard, we fed him scraps of meat, he stayed in our yard for years.
That is a great idea. If I get one to flit past I shall try bribery. A Las Vegas road runner has to go for the comp.

We had a feral cat on the patio where we fed it and it stayed for 12 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas