U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:14 PM

25 posts, read 86,208 times
Default Ooops, my first ever traffic ticket in life

Hello all. Whew, what a day in Las Vegas for me, lol. Managing to laugh/smile about it anyhows. Wanted to seek advise in these forums on my first ever traffic ticket in life and happened in Las Vegas. Me and wife and baby moved here from Virginia (a very tough traffic law state mind you) a few days ago (even drove the car to Las Vegas). Me and wife have never been cited for anything in our many years of driving (we are both in 30s). But I guess statistics can catch up with ya.

I was driving along Aliante parkway, having just passed CR-215 and was heading south. Noticed the 25mph limit sign on the right near commercial establishments. Didn't notice anything unusual about my speed compared with the other cars along with me but I'm sure I was above 25mph (honesty is the best policy? lol).
Happened to look at the rear view mirror and saw a policeman in a motorcycle tailing me afterwards so pulled over. Was cited for speeding he said, 20 over 25mph! Now I'm confident I never do a 20 over a max speed limit but since it was my first traffic ticket ever didn't know how to respond so just took the ticket and advise of the policeman and drove on to our destination that day (downtown).

Policeman's suggestion: He said the court date is Sept. 5, '07, advised that I could go to the window and ask for traffic lessons and that would get my speeding ticket reduced to a parking violation and no points. Fine for the ticket was $190 by the way.

Questions this poor (and reckless?) driver has for experienced folk in the forums:
1.) Follow policeman's advise?
2.) I saw attorney websites online about helping with traffic ticket disputes/not having to appear in court. Are these for real and are they any good?
3.) I still have my Virginia driver's license and license plates. Haven't gone to the DMV in NV yet. Will this traffic event significantly affect my application for a NV driver's license?
4.) In D.C., Maryland, and Virginia, radar detectors are not allowed in the car. My wife suggested today maybe we ought to consider having one after this incident. Any input about this will be greatly appreciated.

Oh well, certainly it was my fault for not obeying traffic rules. Please kindly assist if any of you guys/girls have the time to post about our concerns.

Thank you so much for reading this kinda lengthy post

Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,193,132 times
The Cop spoke truth. Do as he suggested. The lawyers do exactly the same thing and charge you for the service.

It ends up a parking offense and does not effect anything. You got no ticket for the foreign plates because you had a corresponding drivers license. When you change your license change your registration and vice versa. If they don't match you always catch a second ticket.

That particular offense can happen to anybody. And a radar detector may help. The pretty much ignore 35 but above 40 you catch the ticket. In school zones they mean 25. Even 30 wii get you a ticket.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:57 PM

11,253 posts, read 18,737,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawg51 View Post
Hello all. Whew, what a day in Las Vegas for me, lol. Managing to laugh/smile about it anyhow. Wanted to seek advise in these forums on my first ever traffic ticket in life and happened in Las Vegas. Me and wife and baby moved here from Virginia (a very tough traffic law state mind you) a few days ago (even drove the car to Las Vegas). Me and wife have never been cited for anything in our many years of driving (we are both in 30s). But I guess statistics can catch up with ya.

I was driving along Aliante parkway, having just passed CR-215 and was heading south. Noticed the 25mph limit sign on the right near commercial establishments. Didn't notice anything unusual about my speed compared with the other cars along with me but I'm sure I was above 25mph (honesty is the best policy? lol).
Happened to look at the rear view mirror and saw a policeman in a motorcycle tailing me afterwards so pulled over. Was cited for speeding he said, 20 over 25mph! Now I'm confident I never do a 20 over a max speed limit but since it was my first traffic ticket ever didn't know how to respond so just took the ticket and advise of the policeman and drove on to our destination that day (downtown).

Policeman's suggestion: He said the court date is Sept. 5, '07, advised that I could go to the window and ask for traffic lessons and that would get my speeding ticket reduced to a parking violation and no points. Fine for the ticket was $190 by the way.

Questions this poor (and reckless?) driver has for experienced folk in the forums:
1.) Follow policeman's advise?
2.) I saw attorney websites online about helping with traffic ticket disputes/not having to appear in court. Are these for real and are they any good?
3.) I still have my Virginia driver's license and license plates. Haven't gone to the DMV in NV yet. Will this traffic event significantly affect my application for a NV driver's license?
4.) In D.C., Maryland, and Virginia, radar detectors are not allowed in the car. My wife suggested today maybe we ought to consider having one after this incident. Any input about this will be greatly appreciated.

Oh well, certainly it was my fault for not obeying traffic rules. Please kindly assist if any of you guys/girls have the time to post about our concerns.

Thank you so much for reading this kinda lengthy post
If you will promise (and all you others out there...you know who you are ) to say, "My wife and I", from now on instead of, "Me and my wife", I'll help you the best I can. Having had a few speeding tickets I can safely say that the cop was giving you good advise. Go down to the regional justice center (new court house) downtown and tell the person at the window that you want to go to traffic school. You don' need no stinkin lawyer. You will end up paying a reduced fine and the points will be removed...and best of all...your insurance company won't find out. You should get your Nevada license and car registration right away if you plan to stay. They are very friendly folks at the DMV so don't get your shorts in a bunch. Congratulations on losing your driving virginity in Nevada. I got my first ticket in Las Vegas too, but that was many years ago before they started traffic school. Since then there have been other...uh, shall we say...incidents...but we won't go there. BTW: Last time I went to traffic school, less than a year ago, all we did was watch a fifteen minute California made film about drunken driving and speeding. I had, unfortunately, already seen it so I knew how it ended.

As far as the radar detector, unless they passed a law and didn't tell me, it should be OK. They sell a ton of them at places like Wal-Mart. Might do some research online about how effective they are and make sure you get the right one.

A few years ago I was clipping along on I-64 in Virginia, nearing the West Virginia border. I was smelling the barn I guess so the closer I got to WV where I'm originally from the faster I went. I came over a rise and there was a speed trap in the median. The VA state trooper asked me if I had any reason to be driving 75 in a 65 mile zone, and I told him I was from Nevada where the speed limit is 75 on all roads. he mumbled something about Nevada not having any hills. I decided it wasn't the time to inform him that our mountains are three times as high as the highest point in either VA or WV.

Anyway, take the deal...our cops are helpful like that if you don't pi** them off.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Great suggestions from both. Thank you so much! "Wife and I" are now much relaxed about this incident. The only lingering question we have now is: Because we haven't settled down on an apartment yet (thus have no street address/residential address with our name on it---> currently staying at a very good friend's vacation home), I'm not aware of how we can get our Virginia driver's license shifted over to NV state (although I do have my job contract in hand).

Thank you both once more!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:03 PM

11,253 posts, read 18,737,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawg51 View Post
Great suggestions from both. Thank you so much! "Wife and I" are now much relaxed about this incident. The only lingering question we have now is: Because we haven't settled down on an apartment yet (thus have no street address/residential address with our name on it---> currently staying at a very good friend's vacation home), I'm not aware of how we can get our Virginia driver's license shifted over to NV state (although I do have my job contract in hand).

Thank you both once more!
It won't hurt to wait until you have a permenent address. Just chill. Nevada is friendly and the DMV people have always been pleasant. Although I know from working in one that people enter state offices with a chip on their shoulder ready for a fight. But all the problems I ever experienced were started by the guy who just knew we were out to cause him some grief even though all we really wanted was to help him. Lots of times any friendliness on the state worker's part was thrown back in our faces. Now when you do that, expect some grief when it could have been so easy without the theatrics.

But, I've never had a bad experience with the DMV in 43 years.

And OC, don't forget the 15mph school zones mean 15.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:14 PM

Thank you again. Certainly more cautious now (i.e. obedient with speed limits). This psychiatrist isn't into theatrics as well.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:25 PM

233 posts, read 591,764 times
when you go to the DMV, make sure you have your smog check certificate and proof of insurance in hand. That will save you from having to make a second trip.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:35 PM

Great follow-up advise on that smog check (see a lot of those on the streets, unusual in Virginia, then again I don't know/can't recall if we did smog checks there).

Old 07-20-2007, 04:12 PM

233 posts, read 591,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athletesfoot View Post
so it really costs you about $50 to have the attorney do the work for you and to not have to wait at the court or go to traffic school.) Your fine will be reduced to a parking ticket.
Just curious…. How is an attorney able to get it reduced to a parking ticket without the client having to go to traffic school? Would a person be able to accomplish the same thing by going to court himself without an attorney? Is it a choice of either going to court or going to traffic school that reduces it to a parking ticket?

Old 07-20-2007, 05:18 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,193,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
Just curious…. How is an attorney able to get it reduced to a parking ticket without the client having to go to traffic school? Would a person be able to accomplish the same thing by going to court himself without an attorney? Is it a choice of either going to court or going to traffic school that reduces it to a parking ticket?
Can't...depends on the ticket...at least in the City of Las Vegas. I had my last reduced to a parking ticket without traffic school. You simply show up at the window and pay your money. If however you are more than 10 miles an hour over the limit you have to go to traffic school to get the same deal. As I understand the system the Attorneys just do the same thing anyone else can do but they do it more efficiently and in batches. So there may well be a time saving.

An attorney can of course actually defend the matter...but that is a big deal in terms of costs. I would suspect that is the standard crap shoot. If you can get it scheduled right so the cop no shows you get off. Otherwise the Attorney has to walk on water. The system is not a "criminal" trial and is loaded against the accused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas