Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:06 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Despite what Buzz said, the GIANT roaches are not the little brown one's. If you don't believe me, i will save the dead bodies and send them to you or to Buzz for further verification.
What exactly did I say that disagreed with you?

Some other bugs here are ticks, ants, earwigs, some kind of gnat but not the kind that bite, a few different spiders but not nearly as many as eastern states have, Africanized (killer) bees, regular honey bees (but most have been Africanized by now), wasps, those great big yellow and black bumble bees, a few sweat bees, pill bugs, tomato caterpillars, and a few others but none are significant. I've never seen one in Las Vegas but I know ticks are here because my ex-wife's dog died of a tick bite. No fleas though and very few mosquitoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 12:48 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
Buzz, you mentioned the roaches were the brown german ones. The one's that come in my place are giant black ones.

Billee, thanks so much for the heart attack. I owe you one.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Buzz, you mentioned the roaches were the brown german ones. The one's that come in my place are giant black ones.

Billee, thanks so much for the heart attack. I owe you one.
The brown ones aren't exactly small but I know what you mean. The black ones are what we always called water bugs. They live where it is moist like the sprinkler control valve boxes and water meters. The brown ones and the black ones might be the same thing though. I've asked exterminators and only got confusing answers.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:36 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
Like I said...the most aboslutely HORRIFIC bug in Las Vegas is the Gambling Bug...it will EAT you alive!!! And once you've been bitten, it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get rid of it. It's symptoms can be quite severe...and the bug has even been known to eat up houses and ruin relationships!

Does anyone remember the Twilight Zone episode called 'The Fever'?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,264 times
Default Where can I live in Vegas with no German roaches?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I lived in Vegas almost 10 years and never had a bug problem. Hardly ever saw bugs. My first year was in an apartment and I don't recall there being any type of bug problem. In our house we'd get ants once a year in the kitchen when the temperatures went up in summer. One visit from the exterminator and I didn't see them again until a year later. Bugs were never a problem there for me.
Where do you live in Vegas that DOESN'T have bugs?!? We moved here a few weeks ago to find our new place CRAWLING with German roaches! Horror film amount of roaches that weren't visible when we came to look at the place. Hardly ever saw any bugs living in AZ. My husband had a great job opportunity here so we're doing what we have to do. In the two weeks we've been here, we've done foggers, had professionals come in, bought the traps, the high frequency wall plug-in dealies, and WE STILL HAVE ROACHES!!! Found one in my cupboard as I was looking to see what I wanted for dinner. Needless to say I'm not hungry anymore.
From what I'm hearing, Vegas is crawling with bugs. I don't mind ants too much, but these German roaches suck ass! Am thinking about trying to move AGAIN to another area of Vegas, but really don't want to have to go through moving again only to find they have roaches too. Also can't really afford to move again, but will do what's necessary to not be grossed out every day. I am not a prissy girl either so you know it's bad.
PLEASE if you have suggestions, let me know!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonagirl50 View Post
Where do you live in Vegas that DOESN'T have bugs?!? We moved here a few weeks ago to find our new place CRAWLING with German roaches! Horror film amount of roaches that weren't visible when we came to look at the place. Hardly ever saw any bugs living in AZ. My husband had a great job opportunity here so we're doing what we have to do. In the two weeks we've been here, we've done foggers, had professionals come in, bought the traps, the high frequency wall plug-in dealies, and WE STILL HAVE ROACHES!!! Found one in my cupboard as I was looking to see what I wanted for dinner. Needless to say I'm not hungry anymore.
From what I'm hearing, Vegas is crawling with bugs. I don't mind ants too much, but these German roaches suck ass! Am thinking about trying to move AGAIN to another area of Vegas, but really don't want to have to go through moving again only to find they have roaches too. Also can't really afford to move again, but will do what's necessary to not be grossed out every day. I am not a prissy girl either so you know it's bad.
PLEASE if you have suggestions, let me know!
That's pretty unusual. Did you buy an older home? Older homes can get infested if the previous owners neglected it. I use Terminex. They come out every two months and spray outside. After they've been here in the summer months I see a few dead roaches on the sidewalks and patio. I won't allow chemicals in the house and they don't like to spray indoors either. But they will, if you want them to, put plugs in the walls under sinks where bugs can get in from the outside and they insert a little powder in the wall.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:22 AM

211 posts, read 985,221 times
in my first 8 months living here I lived in an upstairs apartment and the only bugs I saw were crickets, now I moved downstairs and I see every bug in the world crawling around my apartment(I even found a raid bug killer that the old tenants probably forgot to throw out)

And what the **** are those huge black things you see outside every nite?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
Those are known as pit bosses!

Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,330,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post

Burglars??

Old 08-10-2007, 02:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
LOL you guys are so funny. Those huge black things are the giant roaches i was talking about..aka water bugs. But they're still roaches to me.

There is this tool you can buy with a long handle on it..it zaps the bugs, in essence electrocutes them instantly. You still have to dispose of the body though. Just toss it outside. Or flush it. Harbor Freight tools sells this gadget for about $20. Good for those of you who want a fast solution.

As for Arizonagirl, if you rent an apt in certain area's of town, many of them are infested with roaches. Nothing you do will get rid of them besides moving. and when you move, make sure you check every single thing and spray the furniture. Otherwise you will just take them with you to the new place. Those little german ones that infest people's homes are really gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas