Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM

62 posts, read 196,444 times

Advertisements

can anyone recommend a good (and affordable) home inspector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
Just a FYI - all home inspections run ya $200-300
And all of them "play up" anything bad. The way my home inspection went down
I had $5000 worth of work needed, the truth was closer to $2000

Just keep that in mind.

Jonathan

Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM

15 posts, read 31,268 times
Well I had the opposite experience with my recent inspection. The inspector did not overplay any issue that were minor. He did a very thourough job, was at the house for almost 4 hours doing the inspection. It did cost me a bit more but I feel pretty good about the outcome. He did of course find soem stuff but gave an honest assessment of the condition. Most things found in my case were fairly minor and actually just maintenance issues. I used acompany named Pillar to Post and paid $515 and am VERY happy with the results. Is a home ispection really something you want to cheap out on??

Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 PM

687 posts, read 1,944,174 times
After having paid for 6 or so home inspections in my life, I'm beginning to believe that for the most part they are unnecessary. My primary goal is to ensure that the house does not have a major structural issue. A competent builder can ascertain that fact in a few minutes. All the rest of the stuff the home inspector does discover is usually small potatoes. The home inspectors get a lot of good PR and everyone agrees you really need one, especially on HGTV. But I don't really buy it.

I used an engineering firm for my last home inspection and was generally satisfied with the results, although I have found items they missed. Be forewarned - the bank that issued my mortgage (US BANK) requested a copy of the inspection report from my realtor and wouldn't close escrow until all items on the inspection were addressed. This was problematic since I was out of state, but eventually was resolved.

So, should I purchase another home, I'll just have a contractor or builder look things over and give me a verbal report. That's all you need. The home inspector won't stand behind his report if he fails to find anything anyway (read the fine print). A lot of it is boilerplate. For a few hours spent at the house, inspectors can't find everything. Besides, you can flush the toilets, run water in the sink, and check the electric outlets yourself and look at the roof with a pair of binoculars.

Now if I could get a Holmes inspection - then that's another story.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 PM

412 posts, read 915,623 times
I have had inspectors miss alot of things. Luckily, they were not really major issues so i didn't bother to call back about it, but it was still sloppy that he missed them. Makes me wonder if he really would have found serious problems if they existed.
Often they do not guarantee against anything missed other than to maybe refund the fee. Not much help to get a $300 inspection fee refund a few weeks after buying a house with a problem that costs a few thousand dollars or more to fix.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
I agree with the above,
Spending 3-5 hrs taking pictures of cracked tile, or looking under a sink does not really tell you the condition of a home, and yes the report is boilerplate, and they do not stand behind the report, and seems most will not even call you, if you have questions if like me, you are out of state

Jonathan

Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
I have had two sales go south over inspections in the last couple of years. One involved water damage that the seller declined to fix and the other scorpions. The water damage was at least a little malicious...the seller had blocked access to the affected area. Last sale involved a roof leak and some DIY electrical stuff that cost the seller about $1500.

In general inspections are routine...except when they are not. They also catch myriads of details that can be a pain. Bad outlets, stuck/broken windows etc. Probably 75% of the homes require roof repair...at least a couple of broken tiles.

An inspector is not off the hook because they have paper that says the are. If they are negligent or miss something that they reasonable should have caught they are liable and will likely settle. The good ones have insurance against such an outcome.

Note that an inspection also removes arguments with home warranty people about pre-existing damage. You are in pretty good shape if you have an inspection that says it worked.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM

14 posts, read 22,660 times
Hi,
I used George Hoeye
Nevada Home Inspections llc
Email: george@nvhomeinspections.com.

Keep in mind that it was a condo inspection and the condo was move in ready except a heating/ thermostat issue. Charged me $165. Gave me a detailed report with pictures and everything. I recommend his knowledge and level of professionalism.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:45 PM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Can the inspectors detect, and does Vegas have a problem with, chinese high sulphur sheetrock? If you have a house with it, it can be the ultimate nightmare.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:32 PM

62 posts, read 113,248 times
sahooa did your inspector check for termites? and should I ensure the inspector checks for this? I heard they can be pretty bad in dry hot climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas