U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:18 AM

33 posts, read 43,068 times
Default Andre Agassi Academy

Does anyone know anything about Andre Agassi's Academy? I wanted to know a little more about this school. Like where is it located? Is it hard to get a job there? Is it better than the local public schools? If anyone knows anything please share this information with me. I am a teacher looking for a job in Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 AM

15,758 posts, read 19,205,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mward View Post
Does anyone know anything about Andre Agassi's Academy? I wanted to know a little more about this school. Like where is it located? Is it hard to get a job there? Is it better than the local public schools? If anyone knows anything please share this information with me. I am a teacher looking for a job in Las Vegas.
Here you go...I gather they are hiring.

Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy

It is on Lake Mead near I15. That is the border between Las Vegas and North Las Vegas. It is a reasonably tough neighborhood.

Very nice facility though I have only driven by.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 AM

1,607 posts, read 7,006,243 times
It's not in a good neighborhood at all. It's a predominantly black school in a bad neighborhood. Although I agree with olecapt, the building itself is very nice and pretty new. It's in that area and has that student body for a reason, its purpose is to serve underprivledged kids.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 7,170,218 times
RWF always has to bring race in and now she claims that only black kids can be underpriviledged...

yes, it serves underprivelidged kids, but that's not the reason why most of the students are African-American...

Anyway, with that out of the way, the school is very nice and very good, I went on a field trip there and it was very state-of-the-art, you will find that most of the students after school go to the library next door...

Old 07-25-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
RWF always has to bring race in and now she claims that only black kids can be underpriviledged...
You are the one that seems to have a problem when race is mentioned. Race is a fact of life. It never hurts to discuss them. The person asked if anyone knows anything about the school. Someone considering getting a job there may want to know that is almost all black. There's no reason to hide that fact. I never said that only black kids can be underpriviledged - you made that assessment.

But I do know that's the purpose of that particular school being in that neighborhood.

From a recent article:
"The charter school that bears Agassi's name was established in 2001 at 1201 W. Lake Mead Boulevard, in a low income part of Las Vegas.

It has drawn praise as a model school aimed at improving educational opportunities for at-risk students. "

Read full article: ReviewJournal.com - News - Critics fault academy earmark

Here's another article that gives a lot of info about the school. And (gasp) it mentions that it's mainly black, maybe someone should write the author and tell them how racist they are for mentioning that fact.
USATODAY.com - Agassi Prep offers kids of Las Vegas a reason to learn

same here...

Agassi's All-Stars

Or... could it be that it's interesting and important fact that people may want to know? Yeah, I think so! And obviously these papers/writers/editors must the readers would like to know that as well. So...get over it.

Last edited by RedWingsFan; 07-25-2007 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 05:09 PM

2,404 posts, read 7,170,218 times
I don't understand why anybody would need to know that fact...

Old 07-25-2007, 05:22 PM

33 posts, read 43,068 times
I thank you all for the information on the school. It sounds great and I hope to be able to tour the facility when I visit the area.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,205,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
You are the one that seems to have a problem when race is mentioned. Race is a fact of life. It never hurts to discuss them. The person asked if anyone knows anything about the school. Someone considering getting a job there may want to know that is almost all black. There's no reason to hide that fact. I never said that only black kids can be underpriviledged - you made that assessment.

But I do know that's the purpose of that particular school being in that neighborhood.

From a recent article:
"The charter school that bears Agassi's name was established in 2001 at 1201 W. Lake Mead Boulevard, in a low income part of Las Vegas.

It has drawn praise as a model school aimed at improving educational opportunities for at-risk students. "

Read full article: ReviewJournal.com - News - Critics fault academy earmark

Here's another article that gives a lot of info about the school. And (gasp) it mentions that it's mainly black, maybe someone should write the author and tell them how racist they are for mentioning that fact.
USATODAY.com - Agassi Prep offers kids of Las Vegas a reason to learn

same here...

Agassi's All-Stars

Or... could it be that it's interesting and important fact that people may want to know? Yeah, I think so! And obviously these papers/writers/editors must the readers would like to know that as well. So...get over it.
All of that including the racial makeup and the nature of the neighborhood and of the school and the foundation is all well covered on the Agassi web site first cited.

One therefore presumes the added stuff has a little hate behind it. Otherwise why bother reanswering a question that had been already answered?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:04 PM

51 posts, read 143,715 times
Not to gang up on RWF (really), but I have to wonder. If race doesnt matter why is it mentioned? Is the fact that it is a predominantly black school something one should worry about if wanting to get a job there? If yes, why?
Or is it some thing that concerns you, RWF? No biggie if it does, just curious.

As a former student of psychology, I tend to think/believe that people make statements regarding most things based on their own thinking on that subject. Maybe it's not conscious but what we think and feel internally surely influences our perspective.

just my 2 cents

Old 07-26-2007, 04:58 AM

Woof... I'm a psychology major as well, it's what my degree is in.

Race does matter. Sure, it's not politically correct to say that it does. But we all know that it does matter. That's why it's mentioned in news articles. If the school were mixed it probably wouldn't be mentioned. But it being nearly 100 percent black is certainly a stand-out fact that people will want to know. It helps put into context what the school is and who it's serving. It's just another detail about it, just as all the others.

I would wonder why people would only be upset at the mention of color. Why not about how much money is spent? Or about it being in an at-risk area. They are all facts. Your own bias is merely picking out the color issue.

Someone getting a job anywhere may want to know if it's an all black school. Likewise, if it's a black teacher he/she may want to know about it being an all white school that they may get a job at.

Race and color differences are a fact of life. Going out of your way to make sure you don't mention a color is no different than going out of your way to mention it. Either way its on your mind.

Race does matter. It's an issue that's mattered since the beginning of time and one that will continue to matter throughout the future. As long as their are different races it will matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas