Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 10,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Before the bashers get on here with their gloom and doom statements, let me say welcome to Las Vegas.

Now with that said, I hope that you come with with about a year's living expenses already saved up because you may have a tough time getting a teaching position next year. The Clark County School District (CCSD) is expected to have $250-$400 million cut from their budget for 2011-2012 school year which is going to leave a lot of positions eliminated mainly in specialized fields. Final budgets will be made next month.

The bashers will come on here and say "there are no jobs here" which is not true; however, the job market is extremely tough and finding a job may take longer than you expect which is why you should come here with a year's living expenses.
It is a little bit easier now than before. A years worth of savings?

If you stay off the Strip, Las Vegas is a very quiet city. I have lived in Vegas for over five years now and I have mixed feelings about it. Let me try to break it down for you.

Weather - Dry. I'm assuming you have fair weather if you're from the Midwest. The first time I came to Vegas, I hated it. I lived in Guam for 10 years where the weather is humid and nice. In Vegas, I have to use moisturizers because my skin can get so dry. It reaches 110 in the summer easy and drops to about 30-45 in the winter. I'm used to the weather now, but it took some time.

Living Costs - Very cheap and comfortable. Stores are usually open 24 hours, there's always a Wal-Mart around the corner. Due to the real estate marketing crashing several years back, houses are extremely cheap. Taxes are decent, not as high as California. No income tax is a plus. However, you must have a vehicle because the mass transit in Vegas is terrible.

Jobs - You already have one! But if for some reason it doesn't work out for you, there are many job opportunities in Vegas. There's always an opening somewhere if you're willing to look.

Culture, Things to Do - Moderate. It's not like LA or San Diego where there are a million things to do. If you do not like the nightlife scene, there isn't too much Vegas has to offer unless you're willing to search around. We have decent national parks, lakes, and festivals in the city, but they do not compare anything to that of California or the Midwest. The good news is, LA is only a 4 hour drive so my family and I tend to visit frequently during the holidays.

Overall Grade: B+. If you don't go to the Strip, Las Vegas is a very quiet town. I recommend living in Summerlin, Henderson, or the south area of Las Vegas because the north is a little sketchy and has a higher crime rate. It's a O.K. city, the people are generally nice, and there are good places around to keep you happy for a while.

But you wont listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: