U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,930,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Granola View Post
Charles Wallace, I would appreciate some info on the gifted programs here. We have a boy who is gifted & on the autism spectrum (I shan't belabor the point, but there were many noticeable differences from birth), and the younger two appear to be equally gifted (although with different strengths). We're currently homeschooling, primarily due to the lack of the public schools ability to deal with a child who is emotionally behind but academically ahead. Generally, we're already using high school texts (the oldest is 10), but would like to put them in high school when they get to that age.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You bet.

First of all, you'll notice that I gave Olecapt a link to the Davidson Institute; they might be able to help you folks too if your children are profoundly gifted; if not, their site is one of the most helpful in the world for information about giftedness.

In general, in case you may/may not have heard of this site, the gold standard for gifted sites on the Internet is this one:
Hoagies
Hoagies is a rich gold mine of articles having to do with every aspect of giftedness. If there is an article on g'ness, Hoagies has it or knows where you can get it.

This site, Genius Denied, in addition to providing useful information about giftedness, gives a state-by-state breakdown of laws relevant to gifted education.

As far as resources for Nevada/Vegas specifically, here are a few.

If you need testing and find a private psychologist's costs to be prohibitive (as many insurances don't cover testing), the Center for Individual, Couple, and Family Counseling at UNLV can test for I.Q. using a number of different instruments such as the Woodcock-Johnson III and (I believe) the Stanford-Binet V for a very, very reasonable price.

The Nevada Advocates for Highly Gifted Children (http://www.gt-cybersource.org/SearchRecord.aspx?NavID=8_0&rid=13311&catid=101&ty peid=112&sid=3&rcat=Organizations&rtype=State%20&r ccode=101&rtcode=112 - broken link) is a helpful support group based here in Vegas, but as a social group, it unfortunately doesn't do a heck of a lot. Still, Mary Cimo, the very nice woman who heads this organization, will probably be able to help in some way.

I've spoken on other threads about Marti Bein, the coordinator for the CCSD Highly Gifted program. She teaches at Sig Rogich Middle School, 799-6040, extension 4140 and will be able to tell you many of the ins and outs of GATE issues in CCSD if you choose to public-school your kids. Ironically, given that I'm a CCSD teacher, we're also homeschooling for the same reasons.

As you've probably found out, CCSD is not particularly helpful to gifted students, particularly not when their giftedness is extreme. There's a real bias against grade-skipping (it's done, but almost never).

Personally speaking, with what data you've given me, I think the plan to keep them out until high school is generally a good one. In case you're not aware of this site, the Nevada Homeschooling Network, it provides a number of links to state laws regarding homeschooling and links to local HS support groups.

If I were to send a gifted child to any high schools in Vegas, they would be...

1. Advanced Technologies Academy , also known as A-Tech.
Why? A-Tech is distinctive in that it's a full magnet, not a magnet program. That's a crucial distinction, because it means that everyone at A-Tech chose to go there, whereas with magnet programs within regular high schools (e.g., Valley High's IB program), your child's classmates will be people who chose to go there and people who were forced to go. BIIIIIIG difference.

Secondly, there are almost no discipline problems at A-Tech. It's a school rare for its incredible tolerance of quirkiness, intelligence, and general difference. Kids who would be beaten up at any other school are welcomed and treated kindly at A-Tech. It's not Utopia (nowhere is), but it's the kind of school where if your child were grade-skipped and were basically a ten-year-old freshman, they would be treated well.

2. Any of the Community College High Schools.
The CCHS program is for juniors and seniors. Working in partnership with CCSN (Sorry -- it's now CSN), students earn dual credit for high school and community college. It's a self-selected program and TINY, and generally tends to be populated by kids who want that extra academic challenge and are ready for college-level work.

3. The Academy (http://ccsd.net/schools/LVAISPVA/Home.html - broken link)
The Academy is kind of like the school in the movie Fame. The focus is far more on performing arts than on core academics, but like A-Tech, it is also a true magnet school, and as such, the kids who go there want to go there. Not surprisingly, it's a school which not only welcomes kids who are intelligent, different, and quirky, it encourages kids to be intelligent, different, and quirky as a badge of honor. It's a school tolerant of many kinds of personalities and types of people.

Hope this helps -- if you have other questions, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 AM

1,607 posts, read 7,242,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
The Academy.... It's a school tolerant of many kinds of personalities and types of people.
Yes, they are even very tolerant of liars and thieves. Working as a substitute in the libary one day there my purse was stolen by two male students (while it was in a bag behind the library counter). I caught them in the act with my purse in their hand. I took them to the Dean. She talked to them alone and then invited me into the room for the discussion.

Her reaction?

Her exact words were "I can't possibly call the parents of these two and tell them they stole your purse. These are good kids."

Yeah, really good! They are thieves and the school helped to cover that up and not inform their parents that they were such. So they helped them to perpetuate a lie of being good kids.

Nothing happened. The Dean told me that if I had went to campus police they would have done something, but because I put it in her hands istead that there was nothing that was going to be done.

Great school.
Great administration.
Very tolerant of all types of people. That's true!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Yes, they are even very tolerant of liars and thieves. Working as a substitute in the libary one day there my purse was stolen by two male students (while it was in a bag behind the library counter). I caught them in the act with my purse in their hand. I took them to the Dean. She talked to them alone and then invited me into the room for the discussion.

Her reaction?

Her exact words were "I can't possibly call the parents of these two and tell them they stole your purse. These are good kids."

Yeah, really good! They are thieves and the school helped to cover that up and not inform their parents that they were such. So they helped them to perpetuate a lie of being good kids.

Nothing happened. The Dean told me that if I had went to campus police they would have done something, but because I put it in her hands istead that there was nothing that was going to be done.

Great school.
Great administration.
Very tolerant of all types of people. That's true!

That's terrible! I would've marched right over to campus police and told them, and then asked whether or not the dean could be included in a complaint for obstruction (or whatever).

Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM

211 posts, read 582,233 times
Charles, thank you so much for the detailed information! We'll definately have to get them tested at some point; we haven't gone that route yet, so I appreciate those links. And since we're brand new here, we haven't gotten hooked up with any local homeschoolers yet.

I think I know the answer to this one already... but any chance there's a local "gifted homeschoolers" group? We were spoiled, we were members of a very active gifted homeschooling group for many years, but there's not many of them around.

Thanks again!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:59 AM

34 posts, read 80,518 times
Quote:
As far as resources for Nevada/Vegas specifically, here are a few.

If you need testing and find a private psychologist's costs to be prohibitive (as many insurances don't cover testing), the Center for Individual, Couple, and Family Counseling at UNLV can test for I.Q. using a number of different instruments such as the Woodcock-Johnson III and (I believe) the Stanford-Binet V for a very, very reasonable price.

I thought that Federal Law entitled families to testing in any case of suspected exceptionality. Their home district should pay for the testing. I regularly gave the WJR-III and the school psych gave the stanford-binet. Are things different in Nevada?

Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 PM

1,607 posts, read 7,242,785 times
Quote:
That's terrible! I would've marched right over to campus police and told them, and then asked whether or not the dean could be included in a complaint for obstruction (or whatever).
I wish I would have. At the time she seemed quite clear that it wasn't going any further. I figured I would hit another brick wall. I still can't believe she covered it up so that the parents wouldn't hear what crap heads their kids were. Irks me!

Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Granola View Post
Charles, thank you so much for the detailed information! We'll definately have to get them tested at some point; we haven't gone that route yet, so I appreciate those links. And since we're brand new here, we haven't gotten hooked up with any local homeschoolers yet.

I think I know the answer to this one already... but any chance there's a local "gifted homeschoolers" group? We were spoiled, we were members of a very active gifted homeschooling group for many years, but there's not many of them around.

Thanks again!
Not really. Unfortunately.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812girl View Post
I thought that Federal Law entitled families to testing in any case of suspected exceptionality. Their home district should pay for the testing. I regularly gave the WJR-III and the school psych gave the stanford-binet. Are things different in Nevada?
If that's true, it's a well-kept secret, or at least it was from me. AFAIK, if you want your child tested, you do it on your dime -- which is why the CICFC is such an invaluable resource especially for lower-income families, most of whom I'm fairly sure don't know about it.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:04 PM

34 posts, read 80,518 times
Under IDEA, any parent who requests an evaluation (which includes both ability and achievement testing), is entitled to have the school test their child.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:39 PM

15,757 posts, read 20,737,554 times
Quote:
It is also a single anecdote about a particular administrator. Why would that be relevant to the quality of the educaton at A-Tech?

Why? Because RWF says it is and she is a self proclaimed expert on Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas