Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:58 AM

47 posts, read 233,970 times

Advertisements

All top ranked public schools are in henderson. i've heard that summerlin is known for it s privte schools. How to compare these two areas from schooling perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 04:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
You are correct, the better schools are in the Green Valley area. I've done lots of research on it and have spent time in just about every school in the valley.

If it's a matter of public or private school, you just need to decide which you want to send your kids to. Most of the private schools are really good. But I don't know much better they'd be than sending your child to say Greenspun Middle School (a good school).

You will be fine with either - sending your kid to Green Valley area schools or private schools in the Summerlin area.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:29 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali74 View Post
All top ranked public schools are in henderson. i've heard that summerlin is known for it s privte schools. How to compare these two areas from schooling perspective?
I can't speak to the private schools in Summerlin, but I can about the public. As a teacher, I detested Summerlin and couldn't wait to teach elsewhere. Despite the reputation of being "good" schools because they were affluent, I found far more behavior problems (especially cheating) and the rudest, most gangbanger-like behavior I've ever seen. Many parents -- many of whom were nouveaux-riches -- had a decided air of entitlement, as in, "My child ALWAYS gets an A."

Personally, I wouldn't want my child to go to school in an atmosphere like that. JMHO, though.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 AM

Charles - I agree with you. I have worked in the schools in Summerlin and wasn't impressed at all. I've worked in schools throughout the whole valley and the only ones I found to be decent were the ones in the Green Valley area.

But that's just my opinion after doing lots of research on Vegas schools and spending two years working at schools there (and talking to many teachers during that time).

Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,026 times
I think people get a little too caught up in what is the best school for their child, and ignore what's really more important: teaching their child to love learning and to respect other people, especially their parents and teachers.

Just moving to a neighborhood with a top ranked school doesn't make a good parent. It's a great start, but most of the work that goes into scholastic success comes from the student and the parent, not from the teacher. If you're a lousy parent that feeds your kid junk, let's them stay up all night playing R-rated video games, and lets them talk back and walk all over the adults in their lives, then sending your kid to a top school will only serve to ruin it for the other kids who want to be there to learn.

Personally, I think 90% of the valley's schools are a fine place for a kid to learn, provided he/she is motivated and disciplined. Parental bragging rights not included.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:01 AM

I would agree with you on the basic idea that good parenting is most important. However, the biggest problem schools face today are parents that are not involved in the education of their children. Me wanting my children to go to the best schools that I can find (and afford, in my area, etc.) in a particular area and placing it as high priority is the first step in caring about my child's education. It's evidence that I'm involved right from the start. I want my kids to go to what I consider good schools. That way I can do my job at home and I know when they are there all day they are doing their job.

Getting them into good schools is the first step toward a good education....by no means is it the only step. I also started their college fund upon birth and work daily to teach them new things. Making sure they go to good schools is ONE aspect of my involvment in their education. I am very involved in the shaping of my children.

You shouldn't assume that someone asking about good schools believes putting their kid in a good school is the only thing they need to do to ensure their child will get a good education.

I would disagree with your first statement, however. I think parents aren't concered enough about what school is best for their child. If they put forth a little more effort in that area it would show they care about their child's education. It's the first step along the educational journey.

The parent that cares not where there child will go to school is most likely one that has no interest in their child's education. And most likely it is a reflection on their interest in other important areas of life.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:02 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,026 times
Quote:
If they put forth a little more effort in that area it would show they care about their child's education.
I disagree. I think the difference in rankings between a top school and a middle tier ranked school has mostly to do with economics, and not quality of parenting. More affluent neighborhoods will have parents who are generally more educated and have more resources to offer their children than less affluent ones. I don't have statistics to back this up, but I bet that the top performers at almost all schools in the valley are putting up similar test scores. It is the rest of the kids that make up the difference. The "best" schools won't have ESL students bringing down their averages, therefore will look better, but the education will probably be the same.

Of course, each school has its own administration and faculty that does things in their own unique way, so a top school might have exemplary teachers and administrators that put it over the top - but using past students' test scores to indicate the quality of a school is usually a roundabout way of determining which schools are too affluent/elite for minorities/ESL students to attend.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali74 View Post

Ahh who told you that? You actually been listening to RedWingFan? The top school in Las Vegas (actually a joined pair) is Vandenberg/Twichell. Three of the next 4 are in Summerlin. The other in that set is in the SW.

Further there are schools in Henderson in the middle of the rankings or below. There are no such schools in Summerlin.

In general you can find the good schools by checking the neighborhood demographics for family income. If the income is high so is school performance. There are some exceptions...Hyde Park is the number one middle school and is not in an income rich area...but income is a pretty good starting point.

Meadows is in Summerlin. If you can afford more than 10,000 per kid per year it will work for you. It will however provide no better education than the local schools in the area surrounding Meadows.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
You are correct, the better schools are in the Green Valley area. I've done lots of research on it and have spent time in just about every school in the valley.

If it's a matter of public or private school, you just need to decide which you want to send your kids to. Most of the private schools are really good. But I don't know much better they'd be than sending your child to say Greenspun Middle School (a good school).

You will be fine with either - sending your kid to Green Valley area schools or private schools in the Summerlin area.
If you research schools so carefully why would you live in an area with such low performing schools? None near you that could crack the top 10% in Las Vegas.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
I can't speak to the private schools in Summerlin, but I can about the public. As a teacher, I detested Summerlin and couldn't wait to teach elsewhere. Despite the reputation of being "good" schools because they were affluent, I found far more behavior problems (especially cheating) and the rudest, most gangbanger-like behavior I've ever seen. Many parents -- many of whom were nouveaux-riches -- had a decided air of entitlement, as in, "My child ALWAYS gets an A."

Personally, I wouldn't want my child to go to school in an atmosphere like that. JMHO, though.
How do you deal with the fact that the Summerlin schools all rank in the top 10% academically? Do they get extra points for putting on airs and rudeness? Check the percentage that go to college. Think the college admission guys are giving point for gangbanger behavior? Perhaps you are not good at handling emotionally secure kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas