Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 PM

412 posts, read 912,666 times

Advertisements

It's probably cheaper and easier to find a place with a private garage than a place with a guard gated entrance.
You can also add up the dollars to decide whether it's cheaper to pay the insurance deductible and higher insurance premiums if you have a few incidents in the open parking lot over 10 years than to pay the extra HOA fees of a guard gated community or the higher rent or purchase cost for place with a garage.
Most likely it will be much cheaper to just not keep valuables in your truck and not install a fancy aftermaket DVD stereo system in the dash to reduce the likelihood of another break-in. Just pay the insurance and deductible if you still get another break-in instead of paying super high HOA fees for a live guard to protect your truck.
Otherwise, get a place with a garage next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,244,411 times
Low-cost theft deterrent:

I lived for 13 years in a house near the downtown of a major city. The street was very tight; not a single garage for any house on the block and no alley behind, so everyone who lived there had to park on the street. The neighborhood as a whole had the highest car theft rate in the entire city, but my alarm-free car was never once even broken into, let alone stolen, in all that time. (It was hit once by the city's snow removal truck, but that's a story for another day.) My friends had a theory about it. I was teaching for many of the years I lived there (and I'm an avid reader even when I'm not teaching), so my car was kind of a repository for books that were in the middle of being taken to or from somewhere. (To be honest, it still is.) My pals laughed that no vandal worth his salt wanted to have anything to do with a car filled with books. Bad juju for petty criminals, I guess. Give it a try, folks. Pile your front seat high with dictionaries, British novels, and translations of Proust (you can get 'em for next-to-nothing at the Goodwill) and enjoy a crime-free existence.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,198,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

I lived for 13 years in a house near the downtown of a major city. The street was very tight; not a single garage for any house on the block and no alley behind, so everyone who lived there had to park on the street. The neighborhood as a whole had the highest car theft rate in the entire city, but my alarm-free car was never once even broken into, let alone stolen, in all that time. (It was hit once by the city's snow removal truck, but that's a story for another day.) My friends had a theory about it. I was teaching for many of the years I lived there (and I'm an avid reader even when I'm not teaching), so my car was kind of a repository for books that were in the middle of being taken to or from somewhere. (To be honest, it still is.) My pals laughed that no vandal worth his salt wanted to have anything to do with a car filled with books. Bad juju for petty criminals, I guess. Give it a try, folks. Pile your front seat high with dictionaries, British novels, and translations of Proust (you can get 'em for next-to-nothing at the Goodwill) and enjoy a crime-free existence.
So then what happens if someone that is addicted to books comes along and takes the books?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:26 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,401,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

Thieves don't visit libraries.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,550,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Thieves don't visit libraries.
Actually I've been in a library twice when kids were caught stealing books. Yes, I'm serious. Both of these instances were at the public library just off of MLK though.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:10 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,401,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Actually I've been in a library twice when kids were caught stealing books. Yes, I'm serious. Both of these instances were at the public library just off of MLK though.
I bet those books had some nudity contained therein.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I bet those books had some nudity contained therein.
Maybe someone got a little National Geographic fever.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,423,283 times
why don't you just put a big Bible on your dash board

Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
I've sometimes wondered if anyone steals the bible's from motels.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,819,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Great idea!

The next time I stay at a motel I'll pick one up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas