Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 AM

5 posts, read 59,675 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for homes in the Vegas area. We are from Illinois and know very little about the surrounding communities. It seems like you can get a lot of bang for your buck in the NW region right around the I-95, is that a decent place to live? Good schools?

We really just want to be within 30 minutes of the airport. I know the Henderson area is ideal, but those houses are a bit more expensive and I'm not convinced it's worth the extra dough. There is grocery shopping and other important things in the NW region, I'm assuming? Restaurants? Light shopping?

I don't know if this matters- we want a house with 4+ bedrooms and 2000+ square feet in a neighborhood with young families, and want to spend in the ballpark of 150k, less if possible, more if need be. We are also not concerned about work, my husband travels for his job, the only commute he would have to do is to the airport on Monday mornings and Thursday nights.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 01:30 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
My wife and I both work at the cosmopolitan (midstrip). We live just across aliante. Your price point 150 is doable but a bit difficult. 175 is closer to reality for a better school area. 30 minutes to the airport in the morning is a fantasy. At 8am it's 1 hour with traffic due to the spaghetti bowl. 35 minutes at graveyard shift. Henderson even though more $ sounds like where you'll have to be. 1500sf for 150ish

Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
If you want to be closer to the airport, pick Henderson/Green Valley. That's your best bet.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Providence will work. I agree that the Spaghetti Bowl will not work at 8AM in the morning but from Providence and the NW area convenient to 215 you can get around the back way in half an hour. It is five miles further but does not block up.

89129 off Cliff Shadows also works about 5 minutes faster than Providence.

Henderson works with the smaller house.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 AM

We definitely don't want to settle for a smaller house, the main reason we're moving there is so we can get a bigger house.

Actually he just told me he'd be flying out late Sunday nights, traffic is probably a bit slower then, right? Thanks for the info on travel times!

But no one answered whether the area was a good place to live, minus the travel times. We'd be willing to compromise an hour drive to live in a nicer house than we can get in the Henderson area.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
The northwest is nice. If I were in the market to buy, that's where I'd do it. Don't know about the schools, but education in Nevada sucks in general, so I wouldn't count on much in that department.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilycooke View Post
My husband and I are looking for homes in the Vegas area. We are from Illinois and know very little about the surrounding communities. It seems like you can get a lot of bang for your buck in the NW region right around the I-95, is that a decent place to live? Good schools?

We really just want to be within 30 minutes of the airport. I know the Henderson area is ideal, but those houses are a bit more expensive and I'm not convinced it's worth the extra dough. There is grocery shopping and other important things in the NW region, I'm assuming? Restaurants? Light shopping?

I don't know if this matters- we want a house with 4+ bedrooms and 2000+ square feet in a neighborhood with young families, and want to spend in the ballpark of 150k, less if possible, more if need be. We are also not concerned about work, my husband travels for his job, the only commute he would have to do is to the airport on Monday mornings and Thursday nights.

Thanks for any help!
Yes, and lots of it (everything you could want or need)

Much good luck in your search!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
We definitely don't want to settle for a smaller house, the main reason we're moving there is so we can get a bigger house.

Actually he just told me he'd be flying out late Sunday nights, traffic is probably a bit slower then, right? Thanks for the info on travel times!

But no one answered whether the area was a good place to live, minus the travel times. We'd be willing to compromise an hour drive to live in a nicer house than we can get in the Henderson area.
I have been working 2000SF and 150K for a young couple in the NW for the last couple of months. There are some excelllent opportunities. Providence, Centennial Hills and 89129 around Lone Mountain.

In general very nice schools through the high schools and a younger age demographic. Think about it...who else wants inexpensive two stories with 2000SF.

Shopping and restaurants along Durango and Cheyenne. Shooping Center with Walmart, Sams, Home Depot at Tropical east of Durango.

It has all the normal local facilities.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Thank you all so much, very helpful. Seems like we'll aim for Henderson/Green Valley but the NW will be a fantastic alternative! I might even like it up there better, we're used to a more rural area, Henderson might be too busy for us.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,121 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help!
My fiancee and I live up there, in a 4-bed (+ loft) 2000sqft+ house, that we got for well under $150k, in a friendly, safe, neighborhood full of young families. Some good supermarkets and whatnot within 2-3 miles, and pretty much everything you could want within a 5-6min drive. Plus the proximity to Floyd Lamb park, open desert, and Mt. Charleston is great.

The airport tends to be almost exactly a 30-minute trip for me via 215 (which rarely has traffic issues).

I'd definitely look up in the neighborhoods between 95 and Floyd Lamb park if I were you, zip 89143 (the Northern part of it). I think you can find a pretty nice (and sizable) house in a great neighborhood for under $150k. And from what I gather, the schools are rated better than most in the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: