U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM

2,888 posts, read 1,810,782 times
Honestly, the summers here only occasionally hit 110 degrees and those days are not nearly as bad as I expected. I was expecting "death sauna," but it was more like "uncomfortable heat lamp" hot. Not comfortable for long periods, but the air is so dry, it's bearable for short periods between the car and any building you enter. It's really nothing like the southern states with all that humidity. Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:20 PM

8,696 posts, read 6,885,834 times
Since you are coming from MI, you are well aware that there are probably just as many nice months without the furnace or A/C, as there are hot months in LV! Bonus!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 PM

66 posts, read 51,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Thanks for the updates kittypawsdl!

You'll have to forgive the negative poster from NY...he warns everyone of the so-called "honeymoon with Vegas" or warns of "your first summer in the heat". It's the last resort that he uses when someone who recently moves here posts that they love it.

Don't take his posts too seriously or to heart, he has NEVER lived here, and is but a mere tourist, totally enthralled with and fascinated by Las Vegas and gets a weird sense of satisfaction in anything negative about Las Vegas. Again, he never lived here and is only a tourist who visited a few times and hasn't been here in years.

Enjoy yourself and have some fun!
Thanks I find alot of people like that on here and always wonder why do they have to try and steer people away from Vegas? Jealous? Or just plain boredom? But either way thanks for your POSITIVE thoughts

Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM

122 posts, read 230,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
2 options of only Michigan and Las Vegas to go job hunting??? There must be much better choices if you want to find a place with the most job opportunities.
In Michigan, at least the unemployment rate is low around Ann Arbor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
not necessarily, if the new hire out performs the others, this won't happen.... especially if not union...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawsdl View Post
Thanks to most of the posts. And then without fail no thanks to the non-positive ones..but thats to be expected on here. As to the post make it through the summer months..my husband and I have been to Vegas 9 times before the move in all different months..we stayed the 3 weeks in August and before that went in the end of july also so we do know about the heat. But yes thanks everyone, I just wanted to inform everyone since someone was on here awhile ago asking why they never said if they made it or not.
The wife and i Moved from Michigan 2 times. back in 2003 we made it for 1year until i was worried about not making it.. i got out and went back to Michigan ( witch i should have never done that ) So it was like a Nightmare why did i leave Vegas to go back to a Hell hole Michigan.... So in 2005 I moved back to Las Vegas and worked for 1 year until i was laid off being the last hired... I Should have just stayed but again i was worried about not making it... i should have looked for another JOB..

ok here i am Again in Michigan there is Nothing Here No Jobs No Money!!

i am told from a few Friends there is Jobs and one of them i worked at before... i am thinking making another Run for 1 month... it is like this 3 times. i can look at it as i way to be away from Michigan for a Month to see if it works or not... if it works i will STAY!! and never look back....

Stay out of Michigan it is a Dump!! Vegas has more going for it then Michigan...

Old 04-28-2011, 11:28 AM

288 posts, read 343,807 times
Ohio is also a hole right now and the weather makes it even worse. Rain 22 out of 28 days this month, and the county we live in temporarily is still over 14% in unemployment with Timken closing, joining GE, Pacal Blades, Swan Rubber, Checkmate and Baja Boats. Just got a call to interveiw at Zappos when I am out there looking for work, so I will be busy with interveiws. I think it is easy to just backtrack and go back to where you moved from as a security blanket, but you and I both should have never left. I still had work when we left, and now we are going through looking all over again but we will find work and get back home.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 PM

8,696 posts, read 6,885,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRockstar View Post
The wife and i Moved from Michigan 2 times. back in 2003 we made it for 1year until i was worried about not making it.. i got out and went back to Michigan ( witch i should have never done that ) So it was like a Nightmare why did i leave Vegas to go back to a Hell hole Michigan.... So in 2005 I moved back to Las Vegas and worked for 1 year until i was laid off being the last hired... I Should have just stayed but again i was worried about not making it... i should have looked for another JOB..

ok here i am Again in Michigan there is Nothing Here No Jobs No Money!!

i am told from a few Friends there is Jobs and one of them i worked at before... i am thinking making another Run for 1 month... it is like this 3 times. i can look at it as i way to be away from Michigan for a Month to see if it works or not... if it works i will STAY!! and never look back....

Stay out of Michigan it is a Dump!! Vegas has more going for it then Michigan...
Wow. There are a few other states to choose from besides MI when running from NV. Apparently you are running back to your parents? Makes it easy.

MI is not a dump. It is a very beautiful state with some of the most beautiful shoreline. The Great Lakes are well, Great. Can't compare. But, that said, I hate the weather, the economy is just as bad as Vegas, the roads stink, the people are grumpy and the bugs are sick. So, there is beauty every where. Find yours and make it work.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 569 times
I live in California and I Googled "why I should move to Las Vegas" and it brought me right to this forum. At first I read dont do it dont come here then I came across what you wrote and Im glad about. Im a mother of four two are over 18 but theyre just legal not grown and I GOTTA GO NOW! I cant take it one more day where I live but Im going to have to stick it out for another year because im setting a goal and by this time next year I plan on being a LV resident.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,727,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagonow View Post
I live in California and I Googled "why I should move to Las Vegas" and it brought me right to this forum. At first I read dont do it dont come here then I came across what you wrote and Im glad about. Im a mother of four two are over 18 but theyre just legal not grown and I GOTTA GO NOW! I cant take it one more day where I live but Im going to have to stick it out for another year because im setting a goal and by this time next year I plan on being a LV resident.
Well that's great!

Plan wisely, do lots of research, don't spend your money foolishly when you first get here .....and much good luck and blessings to you and the family!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 AM

3,123 posts, read 4,646,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawsdl View Post
Thanks I find alot of people like that on here and always wonder why do they have to try and steer people away from Vegas? Jealous? Or just plain boredom? But either way thanks for your POSITIVE thoughts
The heat issue is neither here nor there. Except for a few weeks in mid summer, the heat is largely tolerable and as others have pointed out, the spring and fall are amazing times in Vegas, weather wise.

The reason people are steered away is:

1.) Jobs. Yeah, you got lucky. I(and others) have posted that for people with specific experience/skills, there may be job opportunities in Vegas that are very good. But for others, there just isn't much out there. This is bourne out by two people I know who work for employment agencies and it seems your the ONLY one who is painting a rosy picture of the employment situation. For lots of people, hard work won't be enough, the employment picture is that bad.

2.) Addictions/personal weakness. Simply put, Vegas is an unforgiving place if you do not live a disciplined lifestyle. I don't think any long term Vegas resident will dispute this statement.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 PM

66 posts, read 51,975 times
Default Update ..stillll living in Vegas...WE MADE IT!!

Update ....We are still here and both at our same jobs. My husband has even been promoted. Soo, thanks to all the well wishes. To ALL the negative ones & ones saying we were in our honeymoon phase well...we outlasted that too. Love it here,...even the summers. Miss Michigan family the most. But some winter & summer activities, other than that we love it here. Made tons of good friends here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas