Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM

228 posts, read 718,687 times

Advertisements

Congrats on your smooth relocation to Las Vegas. I can only hope mine can be a smooth as yours was friend. Enjoy your new life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawsdl View Post
So as long as 3 yrs ago my husband & I had posted many questions on this site as to if we should move to LV. We both are in the hospitality industry . I also have a Criminal Justice Assoc. Being that said MANY MANY residents of LV said " Dont waste you're time. If you don't know someone out here don't bother. If you're not good looking stay in Michigan. There's no jobs out here for you stay where you are. " And many many negative statements which did scare us a little bit. Maybe 3% said that if we tried hard enough we would do fine. So that being said we packed up and headed to Vegas. Made it in on Feb. 14 2011. I found a serving job by the end of the week on Freemont St. and my husband got a restaurant manager job at the Luxor 2 weeks after we arrived. We are both doing fine. Not to say that everyone will get jobs if they are in the service industry if thats what they are going for. I was the only server hired & they had post an ad on Craigs list I seen hundreds of applications. 2 weeks later they hired 1 more server and that was it. So I will say I was in the right place at the right time. I was very lucky to get in. But just wanted to update everyone whom said we couldn't make it!! HA!
Congrats. Your persistance paid off

Just shows that if people have the right attitude they will come here and succeed in their wishes.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:22 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Feb 14, 2011???? 2 months ago????

Newlywed phase. You've got to go through a summer before you can say you've made it.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM

412 posts, read 915,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Congrats. Your persistance paid off

Just shows that if people have the right attitude they will come here and succeed in their wishes.
It involved luck, so for everyone who moves to Las Vegas looking for jobs and finds adequate jobs, many more do not.
Not the same as being impossible, but it's still a huge risk and kind of reckless to attempt.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
It involved luck, so for everyone who moves to Las Vegas looking for jobs and finds adequate jobs, many more do not.
Not the same as being impossible, but it's still a huge risk and kind of reckless to attempt.
Reckless???? Hardly reckless as the OP asked an opinion, got opinions from everyone and took a risk. It happens with any life changing situation.

I would only say luck had to do with the fact she got a job right away. She would have eventually found a job because she had the positive attitude despite the high unemployment here.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 AM

122 posts, read 359,293 times
Great Job to the Both of you... Remember to Keep a eye out.. New Hires will be the 1st cut backs... I am not trying to Rain on you..

But i was the 1st to go when we lived in Vegas... I was Lay'd off... I took the Money and moved back to Michigan... and as of Right Now Not Jobs here... So i am Moving Back to Las Vegas .. Maybe we should of Stayed there in the 1st place. i should have looked for another Job... i was just worry'd

So if something should happen to you or yours Stop do not come back to Michigan Stay There Keep looking....

I hope the Best for you... As we are going back to Vegas

Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 AM

412 posts, read 915,809 times
2 options of only Michigan and Las Vegas to go job hunting??? There must be much better choices if you want to find a place with the most job opportunities.
In Michigan, at least the unemployment rate is low around Ann Arbor.

Last edited by Tires; 04-24-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 11:47 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRockstar View Post
New Hires will be the 1st cut backs...
not necessarily, if the new hire out performs the others, this won't happen.... especially if not union...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM

67 posts, read 103,109 times
Thanks to most of the posts. And then without fail no thanks to the non-positive ones..but thats to be expected on here. As to the post make it through the summer months..my husband and I have been to Vegas 9 times before the move in all different months..we stayed the 3 weeks in August and before that went in the end of july also so we do know about the heat. But yes thanks everyone, I just wanted to inform everyone since someone was on here awhile ago asking why they never said if they made it or not.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:26 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawsdl View Post
Thanks to most of the posts. And then without fail no thanks to the non-positive ones..but thats to be expected on here. As to the post make it through the summer months..my husband and I have been to Vegas 9 times before the move in all different months..we stayed the 3 weeks in August and before that went in the end of july also so we do know about the heat. But yes thanks everyone, I just wanted to inform everyone since someone was on here awhile ago asking why they never said if they made it or not.
Thanks for the updates kittypawsdl!

You'll have to forgive the negative poster from NY...he warns everyone of the so-called "honeymoon with Vegas" or warns of "your first summer in the heat". It's the last resort that he uses when someone who recently moves here posts that they love it.

Don't take his posts too seriously or to heart, he has NEVER lived here, and is but a mere tourist, totally enthralled with and fascinated by Las Vegas and gets a weird sense of satisfaction in anything negative about Las Vegas. Again, he never lived here and is only a tourist who visited a few times and hasn't been here in years.

Enjoy yourself and have some fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas