Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:58 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,323,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner6 View Post
Some dealerships may also charge a 149 dollar documentary fee.

This is nothing more than free cash for the dealership. They are required by state law to file the documentation on the vehicle. The doc fee just means that you are paying them to do something that they have no choice but to do - and there is no way that what they do is worth $149.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 11:08 PM

45 posts, read 216,974 times
Nevada DMV does not collect sales tax on all vehicles sales. All private party vehicle purchases either in Nevada or another state are not subject to sales tax. This is documented on the Nevada DMV web site.I purchased a vehicle private party in Nevada and paid no sales tax at the DMV when registering and obtaining a new title. I also considered purchasing a private party in another state and called the Nevada DMV to confirm no sales tax due. Sales tax is now 8.25%, the link above is older as it states 8.10% sales tax. Hope this helps.

Private Party Vehicle Sales

Vehicle Sales - Private Party, Family Sales & Gifts

Sales Taxes

Sales taxes are not collected on private party vehicle sales that occurred on or after January 1, 2006.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:17 PM

111 posts, read 138,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Private party vehicle purchases from any state are tax free. I have bought cars from CA and TX (both titled in their respective states) in the last couple years and paid no tax when I registered. It's nice!
I can confirm this with personal experience within the past 2 years. I purchased a car out of state in a private sale from an individual while being a resident of another state (not NV), got a moving permit good for 30 days in the other state, came to NV, got a NV driver's license, registered the car here, paid $0 in sales tax. This saved me a few thousand dollars on the car purchase.

I got conflicting info from the other state about being able to register the car for the first time under my name in Nevada but it all turned out to be BS as the whole process took 1 visit to the DMV. Biggest problem was finding a way to prove NV residency since I didn't have a job or lease here or have any bills from my NV address my first week here. But I got it done.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:24 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,875,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutyou View Post
I can confirm this with personal experience within the past 2 years. I purchased a car out of state in a private sale from an individual while being a resident of another state (not NV), got a moving permit good for 30 days in the other state, came to NV, got a NV driver's license, registered the car here, paid $0 in sales tax. This saved me a few thousand dollars on the car purchase.

I got conflicting info from the other state about being able to register the car for the first time under my name in Nevada but it all turned out to be BS as the whole process took 1 visit to the DMV. Biggest problem was finding a way to prove NV residency since I didn't have a job or lease here or have any bills from my NV address my first week here. But I got it done.
he's buying the car here, and titling in Missouri... Missouri rules apply...

Old 10-11-2017, 12:20 AM

27 posts, read 55,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the tax would be 8.25% $3300. The doc fee is not a tax. dealers charge this.. average is $300-$500. First year license plates will cost you about $750 per year
Thanks, that is what is was. Ouch, it hurt too haha

Old 10-11-2017, 12:42 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,588,812 times
This is probably one of the few very negative things about Nevada to be honest. I mean, it has no state income taxes, and property taxes are low relatively speaking because the property prices are so much more reasonable than most other states. That being said, vehicle fees are rather ludicrous. I guess not a great place to own a Ferrari.

In Oregon you don't pay anything. We don't have any sales taxes, at all, on anything, so it's just some pathetic fee I've never even noticed to register plates. I can't even remember what it costs it's so insignificant to me. I don't even mind the idea of a state charging a sales tax on a new vehicle, makes sense to me, but I don't get the concept of "property tax" on a depreciating asset. Or actually any asset besides property. And even that, for me, I wish it were gone. Property taxes should be charged only on commercial income-generating properties, even if it costs state governments, find another way to raise tax revenue. I just think it's dumb that if you OWN something, you have to pay to keep owning it. It's not logical. To take someone's house away because they can't pay taxes on it is like something out of 1400s Europe. Not a good way to deal with taxes.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:57 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,875,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmautocenter View Post
Buying from a dealer you pay the dealer the sales tax.

hmautocenter.com
go back and read from the beginning, he's buying here and shipping to Missouri... and don't advertise your dealership, its against tos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas