U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM

11,583 posts, read 20,520,621 times

Advertisements

When I hear people complain that Las Vegas doesn't have the Getty, or the New York Philharmonic, or The Met, they are just showing me how ignorant they are. How could Las Vegas, a town of not quite 2 million people, and only that many just recently, have things that even cities ten times our size can't really afford? How dare they compare this town to the largest cities on the planet and complain that we don't have what they have? Look around if you feel that we are somehow backward or behind the times. This is the most progressive city on the planet, and we have way more great things here than any other city of this size, and more than many much larger cities. And what pays for it? The kind of culture that people from all over the world come here to enjoy all the time; not just some of the time when they are trying to impress a business associate or their in-laws or something.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 01:20 AM

7,340 posts, read 5,800,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
When I hear people complain that Las Vegas doesn't have the Getty, or the New York Philharmonic, or The Met, they are just showing me how ignorant they are. How could Las Vegas, a town of not quite 2 million people, and only that many just recently, have things that even cities ten times our size can't really afford? How dare they compare this town to the largest cities on the planet and complain that we don't have what they have? Look around if you feel that we are somehow backward or behind the times. This is the most progressive city on the planet, and we have way more great things here than any other city of this size, and more than many much larger cities. And what pays for it? The kind of culture that people from all over the world come here to enjoy all the time; not just some of the time when they are trying to impress a business associate or their in-laws or something.
I come from Key West -- a town of 8,000 people. We have our own Symphony Orchestra. We have 8 play houses, 5 newspapers, and dozens of museums and galleries.

8,000 people.

It's more about community will than money. If the community wants it bad enough, the money will turn up. Las Vegans don't want it. Plain and simple.

I think I've got plenty of "anti-doomer" cred built up. But even *I* agree that there isn't a whole lot of culture in this town. Me personally, I don't care. I just flew to SF and caught the Stein collection at MOMA. I'll enjoy some opera this year. Don't know where exactly, but I'll work it in somehow.

What grinds my gears is that we are not sending our elementary school kids to see a symphony -- even a pops performance. They don't have dozens of nearby museums to fill their little minds. We could have the next Puccini or Duchamp living in Anthem, and we'll never know it because he or she isn't getting a decent arts education.

The lack of cultural outlets makes Las Vegas a poorer place -- for everyone.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I come from Key West -- a town of 8,000 people. We have our own Symphony Orchestra. We have 8 play houses, 5 newspapers, and dozens of museums and galleries.

8,000 people.

It's more about community will than money. If the community wants it bad enough, the money will turn up. Las Vegans don't want it. Plain and simple.

I think I've got plenty of "anti-doomer" cred built up. But even *I* agree that there isn't a whole lot of culture in this town. Me personally, I don't care. I just flew to SF and caught the Stein collection at MOMA. I'll enjoy some opera this year. Don't know where exactly, but I'll work it in somehow.

What grinds my gears is that we are not sending our elementary school kids to see a symphony -- even a pops performance. They don't have dozens of nearby museums to fill their little minds. We could have the next Puccini or Duchamp living in Anthem, and we'll never know it because he or she isn't getting a decent arts education.

You haven't checked what the university provides I guess. Another problem we have is that the Las Vegas that most of you know is less than 15 years old. It only began it's growth spurt about 22 or 23 years ago. Prior to that it was a small town with mob influence in everything that went on. (Not that we don't miss the way the Mob ran things, of course. )

Being close to LA, and all the museums there, probably influences what people will support here too. The key to any of that stuff is the support of the locals, because the tourists don't come here for high brow culture. This is a blue collar town. Not that many high brows here anyway. People here, me included, like to go to LA for the museums. But the minute somebody starts to sing opera I'm gone.

I'd love to see more museums here. Maybe if our politicians ever realize that the north has been ripping us off for 50 years or so, they'd try to keep some of our tax money here for such things.

Scoop, if you're looking for "good" opera, Albuquerque is a 1˝ hr flight from here, or a 9 hr drive. Santa Fe is a very pleasant 60 minute drive north of Albuq., on I-25. I used to commute there every day. The Santa Fe Opera is second only to the New York Opera. But it's way better for people watching. But you may be too late for this year. Santa Fe Opera House - Opera Musical Theater Productions in Santa Fe, New Mexico

Santa Fe is also the third largest art market in the U.S., after New York and Chicago, with a gillion art galleries. And there are seven museums, including the Georgia O'Keefe, and a college that was founded before the Pilgrims landed on that rock. There are also nearly 200 restaurants that serve the best food in the country. santa fe art - Google Search

Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 AM

15,378 posts, read 23,272,747 times
And how often do other cities get the likes of Celine dion etc etc etc....JUST because there's no fat lady singing doesn't mean it isnt cultural.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
You haven't checked what the university provides I guess. Another problem we have is that the Las Vegas that most of you know is less than 15 years old
My wife is an elementary school teacher. Special ed. In Florida she took the class to the symphony at least once a year. And there was always a field trip to a museum. Here? Nothing. Nothing at all. Not even a crappy Vegas performer like Celine Flippin' Dion.

There is a direct, proven correlation between music appreciation and math test scores. Here in LV, we don't have much in the way of music or art classes. We don't bring the kids to symphonies, operas or museums.

AND THEN WE WONDER WHY WE'RE RAISING A GENERATION OF DUMBASSES. [/samkinison]

So, what exactly does the university provide? If the answer is "jack squat" my wife and I are in agreement.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
My wife is an elementary school teacher. Special ed. In Florida she took the class to the symphony at least once a year. And there was always a field trip to a museum. Here? Nothing. Nothing at all. Not even a crappy Vegas performer like Celine Flippin' Dion.

There is a direct, proven correlation between music appreciation and math test scores. Here in LV, we don't have much in the way of music or art classes. We don't bring the kids to symphonies, operas or museums.

AND THEN WE WONDER WHY WE'RE RAISING A GENERATION OF DUMBASSES. [/samkinison]

So, what exactly does the university provide? If the answer is "jack squat" my wife and I are in agreement.
First of all, BULLSH**.

But what is holding you here if it's so bad? Why did you come? Because living in Nevada is 1000 better than living in Florida. I've lived in Florida. I know.

You actually have a very common disease that affects nearly 90% of people in a new city ...it's the "my home town is so much better than here syndrome". After a while you'll see that there was a reason you moved here, and here is always better than there, wherever there was. It's just different, and you have to get used to the different cultures unless you enjoy being unhappy.

Find out the truth before you spout off: The Las Vegas Philharmonic

Cultural & Civic Events | Community | University of Nevada, Las Vegas

Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
8,000 people.

And I'm sure all those things are world class, huh? There are probably more than 8,000 world class musicians living in Las Vegas. You need to get to know us before you attack us.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Default Las Vegas snooty culture & dumba$$ed kids

Symphony Park (Official City of Las Vegas Web Site)

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

NBT

Henderson Symphony Orchestra

More Las Vegas "dumba$$es? FLVYO

Las Vegas youth musicians fascinated by visit to China - Living - ReviewJournal.com

Las Vegas Mormon Youth Symphony And Chorus | Facebook

Las Vegas Philharmonic Youth Concert Series | University of Nevada, Las Vegas

You get the idea.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
And I'm sure all those things are world class, huh? There are probably more than 8,000 world class musicians living in Las Vegas. You need to get to know us before you attack us.
Attacking you?

I'm saying that Las Vegas doesn't have much in the way of cultural outlets. Sure, we've got an orchestra here. They're playing eight shows this year -- three of them "pops." I'll see two or three shows this year, just like I do every year.

We also have the Bellagio gallery. I make a point of going to each new collection -- two or three a year.

But that is not a helluva lot in a city this size. I stand by my assertion that the reason we don't have more culture in Las Vegas is because Las Vegans don't want it, (or don't want to pay for it.) Either way, arts ain't getting funded in Las Vegas.

That's fine. But there is an opportunity cost of not funding the arts. Privileged kids and kids who's parents take an active role in their education can excel -- and sing in choirs and go to China and all those other things that you seem to think prove we're doing right by our students.

But what about the poor kids? The ones whose parent (I would say parents, but let's get real), works two jobs? Their music and arts classes were defunded years ago. All they're learning is how to pass tests that determine whether the school gets proper funding this year. And they are NOT seeing the symphony or the ballet or a Manet. Most kids don't even WANT to see that. Even in culturally rich communities. I'm no fool -- I know that most students are not interested in a Walton concerto or Shakespeare.

But some students ARE interested. And I think we have a duty to those kids, sure as we have a duty to the special-needs kids.

PS -- The Key West Symphony Orchestra is better known as the Chicago Philharmonic. Key West is rich enough to simply pay all the musicians to come down in the winter. So, yeah, it's world-class. Like I said, if the community wants something bad enough, the money will turn up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas