Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 PM

40 posts, read 109,178 times

Advertisements

Giant bugs are definitely something I don't miss already. I'll take checking my shoes over swatting away 5 foot bees and flies and mosquitos ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,158 times
Quote:
Dear OP,
Can you elaborate more? other than missing friends and family in Orlando, higher car registration fee and insurance, what make Orlando a better choice?
I think for Davie, it's not that Orlando is a random city he is picking as a place that's BETTER than Vegas, it's that Orlando is his hometown. I think he is just missing home. He'd have this no matter if he were from Atlanta and now in LA. When you switch from one side of the country to another, whether it's the southwest to New England, or the pacific northwest to the deep south, there's culture shock, and he just doesn't feel "at home" here. I've been following Davie since before he got here, when he was in the planning stages and seemed so excited. I think it's easier at my age to do a move, when you are bringing a husband and teenagers, and you have jobs already or jobs lined up. Where you have spent years traveling to that other state and picking out property. He's young. He may get back there, feel relieved, and within a year or so miss Vegas. If he were much older or in a different line of work, I'd recommend splitting his time between the two cities. A lot of people on this board spend half their time in once city, half in another.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 PM

75 posts, read 138,017 times
When u go can u recommend me for your replacement at the cosmo. I hear u need juice to get a job here.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
In NYC I paid over $250 to re-register my car (I do admit I have vanity plates) "MacGeek" DUH

I talk to my friends and family Over AIM, AOL, SKYPE, etc. No matter where we all live, we are all online.

I pay DOUBLE the car insurance in NYC that I pay here.. WTF?

Look, if a place isn't home, Move. But It's not the place, that is the problem.

Jonathan

+1. My insurance is over 30% cheaper here than in NJ (NYC area), there's far less traffic, and drivers in Vegas are downright polite compared to NJ. Like most things, this is a matter of perspective, of course.

I've been in Vegas for 7 months now, and very much consider it home at this point. My wife and I were in NC for several weeks recently and just drove back cross-country to Vegas. We both noted how nice it is to be home again.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM

40 posts, read 109,178 times
You take 40 West the entire way? (except perhaps through AR near the White River)

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Davies, I think u r better off not signing a new lease. Maybe u should consider going back because u obviously aren't happy

Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I've been feeling this way more and more and I miss my friends and family back home so much I am sometimes in tears about it
Let me tell you Davie, it will only get worse and worse. It has now been 5 years now as of March. I never leave my apartment any more with the exception of going to work. I wish I was back in Phoenix. I miss my friends and family so much that I paid my friend $100 to come visit me. I had a lot of fun here but home is where the heart is. I could do the same thing I do here in Phoenix, but be with my loved ones. I am not going to quit my job and go back as I could wind up in a lot worse shape. Therefore, I stay here and be miserable.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
I spent 8 months in LV in 2009, and did okay on my condo. Work scene=F, Social Life=F, I can count on one hand the people that I would even say "hi" to in LV. I'd much rather be in Laughlin. I think that is LV's shame that housing values are now higher there--choo choo train and all. Phoenix is far from perfect, but I've met some good, trustworthy, educated friends here. I have an open job offer at my old job in NoVa for 17 per hour to drive the school bus, but it is likely I will stick it out in Arizona, and I'm also waiting on the killing to stop in Mexico, as I've considered living there, too.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoo View Post
Go home for a visit. When you get home you will remember why you left. I did last year and couldn't wait to get back to Las Vegas. I still miss family and friends but you can visit them and they visit you. I keep my self busy.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Anytime you move anywhere far away and start to feel nostalgic and homesicky 6 months to a year later, do yourself a favor and take a week off at your earliest convenience and go back home for a visit. See how you feel before you up and do something drastic you might regret. Chances are you'll say to yourself "oh yeah, still nothing to see here...back to my new life."

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 05-19-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
I feel like I disappointed a lot of you, it seems like no matter where I go I never happy. the most of all I disappointed myself. I'm sorry everybody
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas