Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 AM

6 posts, read 13,486 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I'm from LA and recently want to apply for a mortgage to buy a vacation home in Las Vegas since I'm there almost every month to party.

I dont' know much about the neighborhoods in las vegas so if anyone could help me that would be great. I just heard that the north side or the old north side is teh most crime ridden and to avoid.

Ideally, I would like atleast a 3bed/2.5 bath home two stories at least. I've been looking at areas such as Summerlin and Spring Valley.

I have a couple of questions and they are:

1. Is the closer to the strip the better in terms of property value? Secondly, is the area near china town a good area in terms of amenities and good shopping local strip malls?

2. I know summerlin is the most upperscale of all and least crime but it is also the farthest. I'm wondering if the commute to the strip is terrible or if it is a drag to get out to go shopping.

3. I know some websites mentioned areas of henderson such as green valley ranch on the south east side. But I was wondering if this side is also a good side because it seems more deserted?

4. I also noticed that the south-west side, enterprise, seems to have some nice homes and good outlets near the 34 exit, las vegas north outlet. However, the enterprise area seems to have the highest foreclosure and i'm wondering if that is a bad area to buy and live in.

I would ideally also prefer the latest house, built between 2005-2010 if possible. And my second preference is for a secure and gated community.

Thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
If you want gated, safe, and nice - then I would agree with whoever suggested Summerlin and the Green Valley Ranch area.

The commute from Summerlin to the strip is not bad at all. Assuming that there hasn't been an accident, I can usually get there in about 20 minutes. The commute from Henderson seems to have a bit more traffic and congestion.

Although, if you're just coming here to party, you could save yourself a lot of commute time and gas money by simply buying a condo near the strip...the high rises have restricted entry, so it would be about as safe as being gated.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
If you want gated, safe, and nice - then I would agree with whoever suggested Summerlin and the Green Valley Ranch area.

The commute from Summerlin to the strip is not bad at all. Assuming that there hasn't been an accident, I can usually get there in about 20 minutes. The commute from Henderson seems to have a bit more traffic and congestion.

Although, if you're just coming here to party, you could save yourself a lot of commute time and gas money by simply buying a condo near the strip...the high rises have restricted entry, so it would be about as safe as being gated.
No need to live out in Summerlin or GVR if safety is the issue. I'm in guard-gated Spanish Trail, about 10 minutes (or less) to the Strip, and I don't think there is a safer area in LV. But I do agree with your other rec. If he's just coming to prty, might as well live on the Strip, not 10 or 20 minutes away.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 PM

I agree that Spanish Trail is a great choice (it's a lovely neighborhood, I was impressed the few times I've driven through), but I'm not sure if the homes would be new enough? OP wants 2005-2010. But if he or she is willing to consider a slightly older home, Spanish Trails would be a very good suggestion, along with perhaps the Lakes.

I suppose it also depends on the OP's budget.

nukezero - how much do you want to spend? This will make a big difference in what kind of neighborhoods you'll want to look at. The southwest will be cheaper than GVR, GVR will be cheaper than Summerlin, and Summerlin (depending on the neighborhood) may or may not be cheaper than Spanish Trail.

Condos near the strip are versatile and can range from quite cheap to multi-millions.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:04 PM

6 posts, read 13,486 times
thanks for your response all. My budget is around 140k.

My parents are telling me to go closer to the strip for its convenience and accessibility. I am reading Summerlin as the more "upperscale" Las Vegas and more crime-safe as well as cleaner looking environment. But it seems to lack some amenities such as nice shopping, food, I might have to drive out of town a bit to get to a local strip mall, yes no?

then i was thinking spring valley, because it is closer to the strip but it seems like the neighborhood might not be that great.

My parents don't believe the southeast (henderson green valley) is a good location. They are suggesting around enterprise, but I told them enterprise has massive foreclosure but the area seems to be rising up with new strip malls, outlets, and amenities?

I guess what I want is a balance of:

in order of importance:

1. ~140k price
2. 2003-2011 built-home (nothing older)
3. crime-safe (preferably a master-planned gated community)
4. good amenities local nearby, eateries, walmart, walgreens, etc.
5. reasonably okay commute to the strip for partying nights and going back home drunk

no condos, and no trump towers or high rises. those are not my thing.

thanks guys.

my reasons for not wanting older homes is the risk and chance of me having to spend money to fix pre-existing problems.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:41 PM

With the $140k price limit, Summerlin is doable, but you'll be looking at very small homes (and some foreclosures).

You'll certainly get more for your money in Spring Valley and the southwest. Spring Valley has older homes, but it's definitely not considered a bad area, and it is close to the strip. The southwest and Enterprise are very new and, as you've mentioned, are getting to be very developed with shopping centers and so on.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:47 AM

151 posts, read 699,949 times
for that budget, house age and your lifestyle I would choose either Enterprise or the south strip section of Paradise

Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 PM

10 posts, read 15,966 times
I'd advise you to take a drive around the areas you're thinking about. Green Valley Ranch is beautiful and has many parks and good shopping. The city recreation services are terrific. It's not at all deserted. it's a quick drive on the 215 to the strop or the airport. It's really worth a look. Houses are very reasonable right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas